Was Mary Magdalene Jesus' wife? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:09:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Was Mary Magdalene Jesus' wife? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Was Mary Magdalene Jesus' wife?  (Read 7098 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: January 24, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
« edited: January 24, 2015, 08:15:36 PM by DemPGH »

Seems that she, assuming he existed, might have at least been a lover. It's not unreasonable. He was a man, yes? The reaction against it is almost a jealous "Noooooo!" But it probably would have been expected. And she made herself available.

If he had a conventional relationship with her, it would make him all the more real to me. Why would you become a man, allow yourself to be barbarically tortured and executed, and forego that? Nah.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No.

The prostitute who anoints Jesus' feet in Luke was a different woman. The mix-up is a medieval conflation.

Besides which, the idea that that automatically constitutes 'making oneself available' in that sense, or that it's somehow more reasonable than not to expect that Jesus would have taken advantage of that even if she had, strikes me as...concerning, extremely so.

But why? I mean, whether it be a man or a woman that he would be attracted to, why would a deity who wants to be human reject that aspect of humanity?

It's true that only a tiny sliver of Jesus' life and teachings are recorded in the pages of the Bible, and what's there is cryptic enough to leave room for romantic relations. I'm just reacting against the notion that he absolutely positively would NOT have had romantic relations with anyone. It sounds like Christians who think this are demanding that God-in-human-form be celibate, and I think that speaks more to them than God. Deities in other religions were certainly not celibate, so I don't get the reactionary tendency to say, "NO!" 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No.

The prostitute who anoints Jesus' feet in Luke was a different woman. The mix-up is a medieval conflation.

Besides which, the idea that that automatically constitutes 'making oneself available' in that sense, or that it's somehow more reasonable than not to expect that Jesus would have taken advantage of that even if she had, strikes me as...concerning, extremely so.

But why? I mean, whether it be a man or a woman that he would be attracted to, why would a deity who wants to be human reject that aspect of humanity?

That's not what's concerning. 'Made herself available?' That's really how you want to word this?

It's all the same. I find it odd that someone would think Jesus would reject her out of hand if he found her attractive. And if not her, then maybe someone else. That's just how it works.

You don't get why a monotheistic religion would be interested in presenting God as in some sense neuter, human form or otherwise?

No, not at all. I think it would be the opposite.

But either way, this is religion, so you and I are perfectly free to project onto God whatever characteristics we see fit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies