Franzl AG confirmation hearing (At Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Franzl AG confirmation hearing (At Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Franzl AG confirmation hearing (At Vote)  (Read 5668 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: December 26, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »

I'd ask the PPT and VP to use their powers under the OSPR to bypass the standard time period requirements to bring this to a vote as soon as possible.

I'm sure Senators can continue their questions as needs be during that time, but hopefully opening the vote early will increase the chances of getting the required votes in and also save us from too many more of these irrelevant RPP questions.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »

I'd ask the PPT and VP to use their powers under the OSPR to bypass the standard time period requirements to bring this to a vote as soon as possible.

I'm sure Senators can continue their questions as needs be during that time, but hopefully opening the vote early will increase the chances of getting the required votes in and also save us from too many more of these irrelevant RPP questions.
1.) They are far from irrelevant

They have all been irrelevant. How the AG 'feels' about dual account holding, hacking, or Xahar are all irrelevant to his competence and ability to carry out his duties as AG. They don't offer any insight to his legal knowledge or his capacity to run the pressing cases. It doesn't matter what he feels about these things, what matters is that he will try to the best of his abilities uphold the law and that he can do the job asked of him.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »

1.) They are far from irrelevant

They have all been irrelevant. How the AG 'feels' about dual account holding, hacking, or Xahar are all irrelevant to his competence and ability to carry out his duties as AG. They don't offer any insight to his legal knowledge or his capacity to run the pressing cases. It doesn't matter what he feels about these things, what matters is that he will try to the best of his abilities uphold the law and that he can do the job asked of him.
To equate to real world terms, is it irrelevant to ask an AG how they feel about waterboarding?  Cause that seemed to come off an awful lot last time.  Maybe they didn't cover that over there in Ireland or something?

I don't really know anything of those hearings.

However, I would suggest that it's perfectly relevant to ask such a nominee of his opinions on the legality of waterboarding, whether or not given the existing legal structure he would prosecute instances of it, etc.
Asking about what he thinks of waterboarding generally, whether he thinks it should be legal, how he feels about those who commit the act, etc. is, IMHO, quite irrelevant.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »

My hands are tied until Lewis says something. The OSPR is rather clear, and I wouldn't want to try something rash lest I jeopardize the pending case.

Mr Vice President, I submit that you have authority to open the vote even outside the special powers of the OSPR.

Under the rules of nomination so long as debate debate on the nominee, by my reckoning ended more than 24 hours ago (with the remarks of Sen. AndrewCT) and numerous Senator shave sought a vote. At any rate the maximum length of debate time allowed (72 hours) ends around 6 hours from now.

The authority of Vice Presidents to perform standard duties in presiding over the Senate is long standing. I'd ask that you open the vote as soon as practicable.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies