"We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:12:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business."  (Read 5851 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: March 14, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »

Coal county is already long gone. Atlas needs to get out of the 90s.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »

I don't get what you're implying.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 12:05:54 AM »

^
I agree with you and Hillary completely, but this will sadly hurt her in crucial swing states like PA and OH.

No, my point was that coal country is already heavily Republican and will continue to trend that way regardless of some dumb soundbyte. There's only so much more water you can squeeze out of a rock.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 12:23:32 AM »

Remember when she depended upon Appalachia to slow Obama's path to the nomination in 2008?  Talk about being a cutthroat politician who will say anything to get votes.  

My favorite part of Hillary bashing is when people bash her for doing what politicians do. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news and shatter your hearts, but...all politicians pander. Yes, that includes your precious "anti establishment/insurgent" idols.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »

^
I agree with you and Hillary completely, but this will sadly hurt her in crucial swing states like PA and OH.

No, my point was that coal country is already heavily Republican and will continue to trend that way regardless of some dumb soundbyte. There's only so much more water you can squeeze out of a rock.

You have to remember that turnout rates in the coal country are incredibly low. Hillary's anti-coal comments could inspire many of these people who have never voted before to turnout against her, especially considering the fact that Donald Trump's populist message is the perfect fit for these voters.

Would this comment really inspire anyone who didn't already vote after the black guy named Hussein Osama called them bitter clingers? Color me very skeptical.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:38:34 AM »

Oh my god.  Hillary threw away not just the election tonight but every state and local-level race east of the Mississippi.  Democrats are so screwed by this out-of-context quote.

I think you're underestimating the impact tbqh. I think Democrats just lost the entire country in a landslide due to this quote, and should probably immediately disband and form a new party.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:53 AM »

Ok, why are you guys freaking out over this.  She is right.  These jobs need to be taken out, they are from the past and only holding that region of the country back.  Of course, the choice of words wasn't the best. 

On the electoral significance of it, she already had lost WV, Eastern Ohio, Western KY and PA, in both the primary and general election, why pander to a dead industry.

Besides, pandering to coal country doesn't work anyway. Just ask Alison Lundergan Grimes, Jack Conway, and Natalie Tennant. Hell, they even swung so far against Mark Warner, one of their former heroes, that you'd think he was a liberal hippie tree hugging EPA administrator. The D stands for death in coal country, and the trend is irreversible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »

The DNC needs to start preparing Joe Biden's parachute.

No need for that. The DNC will be quite an orderly affair. Perhaps you're projecting out of fear Willard the Mitt or some other establishment stooge is gonna steal the nomination from your guy? I'd be pretty nervous about that too!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 07:36:19 PM »

Sanders will now get over 80% in the WV primary

lmao
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »

I assumed it was a reference to the fact that a little more than a year ago a bunch of the racist Hillary hacks on this board were cackling about how Hillary was going to do very well in WV and AR and KY because she is white ... and Bill.

No, that was 2013.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »

This thread is pretty hilarious now that Hillary just swept coal country in Ohio.

I'm sure it will still cause her to get -15% of the vote in West Virginia though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies