Is anyone running for local office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:15:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is anyone running for local office?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is anyone running for local office?  (Read 2077 times)
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:58:06 PM »

Like City/Township/Borough Council, County Supervisor, etc?

I'm on the ballot for Inspector for Elections at my precinct.  I know of only one other Libertarian running for local office in my error, as Judge of Elections.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 08:28:07 PM »

What area of Northeastern PA are you from (Stroudsburg, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, etc.).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:06:18 PM »

Not currently.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2005, 11:37:36 PM by Giant Saguaro »

No, but I usually know someone who is running for something. I would help someone I knew, but I wouldn't run. Now people have *heard* that I was going to run, mainly due to a, well so-and-so and so-and-so and so-and-so... No!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 08:57:17 AM »

If I ever say "Hey! I'm running for local office!", shoot me.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 10:47:30 AM »

If I ever say "Hey! I'm running for local office!", shoot me.

Can we shoot you anyway, just for fun?  hahaha . . . j/k

Anyone here ever see the movie Siege, with Bruce Willis?  I use the tone he used when he warned the politicians that they did not want him to deploy his troops on US soil when people as me why I don't run for office.  "You wouldn't want me to be in power."  My cousin, on the other hand, might be running on the local NC ballots again soon, depending on what his wife has to say about it.  hahaha . . . he's tried NC State Representative and a county level position in the past.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 02:22:52 PM »

didnt newfeddy once run for the us senate?
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »

What area of Northeastern PA are you from (Stroudsburg, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, etc.).

Hey Jake.  Wilkes Barre City here. 

Are you a fellow NEPA person?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 06:12:40 PM »

Yep, out in the boonies of Wyoming County Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 06:24:33 PM »

I will be on the ballot for Republican committeeman in my precinct. Precincts, or divisions (what we Philadelphians call them), can have up to two committeepeople. I am an unofficials committeeperson but that will change next May. One of my first votes will be for myself!
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 06:57:26 PM »

Yep, out in the boonies of Wyoming County Smiley

Excellent!   Howdy neighbor!

Don't forget to head to the Pittston Tomato Festival this weekend   :-)
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 07:02:11 PM »

I will be on the ballot for Republican committeeman in my precinct. Precincts, or divisions (what we Philadelphians call them), can have up to two committeepeople. I am an unofficials committeeperson but that will change next May. One of my first votes will be for myself!

Congrats on your first time voting! Is this for the 2005 Muni or 2006 Pirmary or General Election?  Anyway, I hope you win!  Now I gotta ask...  what exactly is a committeeman?  Is it similar to a Judge or Inspector of Elections, or it more like a poll watcher?

It's the first time I've heard the term used.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 11:02:53 PM »

Congrats on your first time voting! Is this for the 2005 Muni or 2006 Pirmary or General Election?  Anyway, I hope you win!  Now I gotta ask...  what exactly is a committeeman?  Is it similar to a Judge or Inspector of Elections, or it more like a poll watcher?

It's the first time I've heard the term used.

My first vote will be a few days after my birthday in 2006 (the primary).

A committeeperson runs the affairs of the party within the precinct, That person is one of the official representatives of the party when voting occurs.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 02:16:23 AM »

Congratulations. Committeeman is an important office in the grassroots of the party. I've served in that office for ten years, complete with knocking on doors, passing out petitions and literature, walking parades with the other committeemen, and working with election judges.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 02:21:42 AM »

Congratulations. Committeeman is an important office in the grassroots of the party. I've served in that office for ten years, complete with knocking on doors, passing out petitions and literature, walking parades with the other committeemen, and working with election judges.

Thanks, muon. I'll be doing the exact things you've listed as a committeeperson and actually do many of them now. The most important job is when the voting is finished, one of the committeepeople has to take the results from the precinct to the ward leader. While I will stick around to see how my precinct voted, I really don't want to be responsible for getting the results to my leader.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 08:20:30 PM »

Thanks, muon. I'll be doing the exact things you've listed as a committeeperson and actually do many of them now. The most important job is when the voting is finished, one of the committeepeople has to take the results from the precinct to the ward leader. While I will stick around to see how my precinct voted, I really don't want to be responsible for getting the results to my leader.

Thanks Phil, and muon, for the explanation.  I wonder if we have a similar position up here..  Guess I have some research to do next week  :-)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 08:42:20 PM »

I cann't, if I am to qualify pursuant to ARS 16-955.B.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 08:43:52 PM »

# Strike all references to the commission on appellate court appointments to nominate slates.
# In subsection C, strike "the members of the supreme court in order of seniority."

Hmm?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 09:00:01 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2005, 09:06:34 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

# Strike all references to the commission on appellate court appointments to nominate slates.
# In subsection C, strike "the members of the supreme court in order of seniority."

Hmm?

B. The commission on appellate court appointments shall nominate candidates for vacant commissioner positions who are committed to enforcing this article in an honest, independent, and impartial fashion and to seeking to uphold public confidence in the integrity of the electoral system. Each candidate shall be a qualified elector who has not, in the previous five years in this state, been appointed to, been elected to, or run for any public office, including precinct committeeman, or served as an officer of a political party.

This subsection was (IMHO) poorly worded.  The interpretation which is accepted is the to be eligible for Citizens Clean Election Commission one must NOT have been a candidate for public office or hold party office for the previous five years.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 09:59:35 PM »

I'm on the ballot for Inspector for Elections at my precinct.  I know of only one other Libertarian running for local office in my error, as Judge of Elections.

Hope you win there, good luck to ya.  Libertarians, unfortunately usually do pretty crappy when it comes to big time elections like president, senator, governor,... but they can do quite well in local elections and often time the endorsement of the party helps them win local positions.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »

Hope you win there, good luck to ya.  Libertarians, unfortunately usually do pretty crappy when it comes to big time elections like president, senator, governor,... but they can do quite well in local elections and often time the endorsement of the party helps them win local positions.

I think I have a decent chance.  We have a D Judge of Elections and D Inspector as well on the ballot...  There's supposed to be a minority Insp, but it doesn't look like anyone ran for it this year.

In theory, even if I get only one vote, I should win as Minority  :-)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 10:52:24 AM »

Yeah I think I remember him saying he was the Libertarian candidate in 1980.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »

I think TCash ran for some state assembly-type office in 2004.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 11:18:39 PM »

Yeah I think I remember him saying he was the Libertarian candidate in 1980.

Campaign manager for most successful "third" party congressional candidate in 1980; candidate for County Commissioners Court in 1982; nominated by Texas Libertarian Party for U.S. Senate in 1984; County chair of LP of El Paso County 1980-85; candidate for city charter commission 1985. Prior to that worked in a State House GOP primary race in Michigan while in high school (1966) and worked for the re-election of the incumbent Democratic governor in "64 (who lost to George Romney!).

Though I wouldn't count US Senate as a local office!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »

I'll probably end up running for office some day as some whacky fringe candidate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies