Opinion of Planned Parenthood (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:49:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Planned Parenthood (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FO

HO

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Opinion of Planned Parenthood  (Read 4941 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »

I think I am becoming a lot more pro life than I once was, though I have never liked taxpayer funding for abortion, so HO.  Also, abortion is a huge part of PP.  Why else would their political activism be so focused on that issue?

There is no Federal funding for abortion as per the Hyde Amendment.  Whatever federal funding Planned Parenthood gets is not for abortions. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »

I think I am becoming a lot more pro life than I once was, though I have never liked taxpayer funding for abortion, so HO.  Also, abortion is a huge part of PP.  Why else would their political activism be so focused on that issue?

There is no Federal funding for abortion as per the Hyde Amendment.  Whatever federal funding Planned Parenthood gets is not for abortions. 
True, but where is that federal funding being used? Is it being used to keep clinics open and staff on the payrolls so the organization can take privately donated money that would otherwise be spent on administrative costs and use it to fund, among other things, abortion? I'd love to see a graph detailing their exact spending.

What about all the abortions that Planned Parenthood prevents though?  Providing regular birth control and emergency contraception prevents many abortions from ever happening in the first place.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »

True, but where is that federal funding being used? Is it being used to keep clinics open and staff on the payrolls so the organization can take privately donated money that would otherwise be spent on administrative costs and use it to fund, among other things, abortion? I'd love to see a graph detailing their exact spending.

What about all the abortions that Planned Parenthood prevents though?  Providing regular birth control and emergency contraception prevents many abortions from ever happening in the first place.
Walgreens also sells contraception and doesn't supply abortions, so I don't quite see how PP can have a net positive because of that.

You need a prescription for birth control. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

Walgreens also sells contraception and doesn't supply abortions, so I don't quite see how PP can have a net positive because of that.

Yes, but can you still not get it at Walgreens?

Maybe if the Walgreens has a Planned Parenthood or a doctor's office inside of it.  Can you at least agree that counselling people about birth control, providing women's health services and STD screening/education are useful services? 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »

Yes, but can you still not get it at Walgreens?

Maybe if the Walgreens has a Planned Parenthood or a doctor's office inside of it.  Can you at least agree that counselling people about birth control, providing women's health services and STD screening/education are useful services? 
Of course, and Planned Parenthood isn't the only organization that provides them. They do, however, have the biggest lobbying ability of these organizations and thus receive a good deal of public funding.

And a simple google search will confirm that you can get most forms of birth control pills from Walgreens with a prescription.

I can't get most forms of birth control because I'm not a lady and thus no doctor would write me a prescription.  Right?  The point is that women are getting education, counselling and prescriptions for birth control from Planned Parenthood.  The prescription is a necessary step.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »

Planned Parenthood also gives free breast cancer screenings. They do a lot of good things, I won't deny that. But as long as they also perform abortions, they shouldn't be receiving federal funding. Even if that money is not spent on abortion, it still indirectly aids the organization to perform them.

All I've got to say is that you could see how the contraception side of their mission cuts down on the abortions because it cuts down on unintended pregnancy.  I also don't think this idea of approving everything your money indirectly supports is really something you could consistently maintain.  If you're a part of the economy, you're indirectly involved with everything, whether you like it or not.  

FO.

All abortions should be free of charge and available on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.

That's taking things way too far.  I'm pro-choice, but abortion post-viability unless it's about the life of the Mother, is tantamount to murder.  I hope no doctor would ever agree to such an abortion.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

FO.

All abortions should be free of charge and available on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.

That's taking things way too far.  I'm pro-choice, but abortion post-viability unless it's about the life of the Mother, is tantamount to murder.  I hope no doctor would ever agree to such an abortion.

A woman's right to choose an abortion is more important than your right to deny her that choice on the basis of the "viability" of the fetus outside the womb. "Viability" is an entirely subjective measure as is. Assuming that a fetus is "viable," outside the womb also assumes that there is someone present to take care of it post-birth, because, let's not kid ourselves (no pun intended) - no one is actually "viable" on their own post-birth for quite some time. This idea that we must deny women the right to an abortion on the basis of the "viability" is part of this weird, generalized cult of life that assumes that all life is equally worth preserving and all life is equally worthwhile. It is not. In this case, the life of the living, breathing, viable woman carrying the nonviable fetus is far more important and should be given far more consideration.

I mostly agree with you.  Nature just dictates that many, many pregnancies do not result in a healthy child.  Sometimes the biology doesn't work quite right, there is a major problem and you don't get a newborn baby.  Sometimes a woman realizes it isn't the right time to have a baby and abortion is a good option for almost parallel reasons, those being personal rather than biological.

However, the reason that you would do a late term abortion is a severe defect or a danger to the woman's health in continuing the pregnancy.  The idea that a woman would casually have a super-late term abortion, that to me is morally problematic.  At some point, if you're talking about performing an abortion a week before a due date, just because of a woman's whim, that would be horrifying to me.

The solution to that however, is actually funding planned Parenthood more and getting more reproductive health services and education to women.  That would avoid these problems entirely.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies