Who was the better lyricist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Who was the better lyricist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the better lyricist?
Jim Morrison

Guy Picciotto

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Who was the better lyricist?  (Read 959 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: April 03, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »

They're both awful, if that Picciotto quote is at all indicative.  Abstain.

For my money, the best lyricist* in pop music (that I'm familiar with) is Paul Simon, and yes that's taking into account the immature teenage angst of "I Am A Rock"- which is still the best damn immature teenage angst ever.

(Honorable mentions to Elvis Costello, David Byrne, and Craig Finn.)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:22 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2014, 07:36:56 AM by traininthedistance »

They're both awful, if that Picciotto quote is at all indicative.  Abstain.

For my money, the best lyricist* in pop music (that I'm familiar with) is Paul Simon, and yes that's taking into account the immature teenage angst of "I Am A Rock"- which is still the best damn immature teenage angst ever.

(Honorable mentions to Elvis Costello, David Byrne, and Craig Finn.)

I agree with a lot of this post--especially the recognition of David Byrne as a lyricist--but I'm curious if you're familiar with Leonard Cohen, and if so, what you think of him. I think he outstrips Simon, at least slightly. Then again, he might not really be considered 'pop music' at this point.

(I'd also replace Craig Finn with Vienna Teng in my honorable mentions but that might be personal bias since I've met her and was introduced to her music in the first place in a very emotionally charged context.)

I respect- and by and large like- Leonard Cohen but for whatever reason can't bring myself to love his lyrics.  I'm trying to put my finger on why and mostly failing; the two explanations that come to mind are a) the purely musical content of his songs is a lot flatter than the other examples here and that's unavoidably coloring my view even when I specifically try to account for it, and b) just the vagaries of personal taste.

I've heard of Vienna Teng but am actually not that familiar with her, perhaps I should fix that.  Where would be a good place to start?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies