Where do you stand on abortion rights? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Where do you stand on abortion rights? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See the above question.
I support women having access to abortion.

I oppose women having access to abortion.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Where do you stand on abortion rights?  (Read 3169 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »

I'd be against the right to terminate the life of an unborn child if men were the ones who get pregnant too, so I hardly see what this topic has to do with misogyny... (but I understand that it's a useful line).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 01:06:41 AM »

I've never heard a compelling point in favor of the idea that we ought to treat each fetus as a member of society, even in a limited sense.

That said, I would tolerate a fairly strict set of restrictions - a ban after the first trimester, say, which comprises the lion's share of abortions anyway - with comparatively little complaint if it meant diminishing how heavily the issue figures in our politics. The public debate is absolutely noxious, futile, and ridiculous. None of us profits from claiming that our opponents are irredeemable sexists or abettors of mass murder, and I doubt that most of those who make these claims actually believe them.

On the contrary, I think at least half the pro-choicers here legitimately believe that people who are against abortions are irredeemable misogynists. It really makes me lose a ton of respect for those folks, too. Cuz they're really missing the point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies