Elitism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:36:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Elitism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elitism  (Read 9256 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« on: April 15, 2004, 04:49:49 PM »

I think many "elitists" have a sense that being a guy is somehow "brutish" mostly because of the feminist movement. I don't see many N'easterners hog, deer, turkey hunting. Fishing maybe. Out of anyone in the N.East I admire most it's the fisherman/lobsterman.
ya blame women.Tongue
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 08:36:49 PM »

Judicial tyranny? You've been reading too much Phyllis Schlafly. Our state's constitution, and the federal one, do not specify what instances constitute discrimination. I daresay that gender discrimination, and by extension, discrimination based upon sexual orientation, are arbitrary reasons to deny someone the benefits of citizenship.

I also think you place little value on liberty, which is quite surprising from a self-proclaimed libertarian. If you truly did believe in liberty, you would not hesitate to answer this question. Who decides: the individual or the government? But you have taken a litany of positions that would replace the right to decide one's fate, the most intimate and personal choices of one's life, and replaced it with the miasma of authority, constantly hanging over an individual's life. That to me is as illiberal as it gets.

I also see the historical trend of the meaning of marriage as irrelevant. Many old ideas give way to changes in social perception, and marriage is on an ineluctable progression towards being a gender-neutral institution. You have the choice to stand on the side of the future, and accept that this age of self-awareness has given people the confidence to ask, even demand that they be treated as equals in our society, or you can stand on the side of the past, and exult the anachronism of traditional marriage in the era of civil rights, even as it crumbles before you.

I can only close by saying this. The law only functions if the loweliest among us, the powerless, can have their voices heard and have justice done on their behalf. Your standard would convert the courts into a barometer of the waxing and waning of social perceptions of liberty and equality. I know that sometimes the courts take stances that are ahead of their time, and are met with opposition from some among us who don't take kindly to extending rights, but ultimately prevail. I know that elitism really does reign supreme, because many have the temerity to deem their relationships morally superior, and limit those who are different, despite their love and sincerity, to a longing for a deeper union. But most importantly, I know that this has happened many times before. I know from that that we shall overcome this.
i couldn't put it any better so i'll just say i agree 100% Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »

I most certainly am NOT descended from royalty!  I am poor white trash and I worked very hard to get where I am.  I bitterly resent the suggestion that I am related to royalty.  The rest of you six billion elitists may be related to royalty, but I am not.  I will assume I am not related to any king or queen unless you can prove otherwise.
I am descended from royalty. But unless you read my family geneology you wouldn't know it.

Proud descendent of the Hapsburg Family!

Cool!  I hope you didn't inherit the hog-mouth?

Hog mouth? Explain?
after much  inbreeding among themselves the spanish branch particularly ended up having some genetic problems including jaws so massive they couldn't close their mouths ie"hog mouth".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies