transgender and sports (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:51:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  transgender and sports (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: transgender and sports  (Read 2580 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »

I'm sure those that pay attention to these kinds of things have heard about the young trans boy in Texas that won his weight class in the HS girls wrestling championship and was booed for it.  He wanted to compete with the boys, but the state's athletic department wouldn't let him.  He is taking hormones, including testosterone.

There is no easy answer here.  It's not fair to the girls to have compete against someone using chemicals that would get them banned.  Hell, even if they let him compete against boys this still wouldn't be fair.  But it's not fair to ban trans people from competition in athletics either.

So what am I missing here, is there an easy and fair answer I ain't seeing?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »

Anyway, it does seem that, as far as Transwomen are concerned, the testosterone inhibitors and other hormone treatments do cancel out any advantages that their natural biology would give them.

Really, I suppose the fairest way to do it would to be to set a certain range of testosterone in the blood or whatever, I'm not an expert, that a trans athlete would have to fall within (ie not too high or not too low) in order to compete.

Of course, this isn't perfect, a lot of activists claim this is still discrmination; and it would be open to abuse (people would magically always be hitting the top of the range), but failing any alternatives it is probably the best option.
Ahhh, yeah, that might be it right there.  You'd have to let everybody "adjust" their numbers though.....but would that mean blood testing every freshman volleyball payer at every HS in the country?  Seems expensive and invasive.  Limit it to "challenges"...that seems easy to abuse and possibly humiliating to innocent kids.

ugggg
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies