Electoral college poll by party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:13:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral college poll by party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you favor replacing the electoral college with a nationwide popular vote?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/L/O)

No (I/L/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Electoral college poll by party  (Read 45240 times)
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« on: April 17, 2005, 02:42:26 PM »

No, I don't favor replacement of the electoral college.

It forces candidates to appeal across a broader spectrum geographically and among interest groups than would be the case with a nationwide popular vote.

Realistically, the only time the popular vote winner won't also win the electoral vote is in a very tight election, essentially a tie.  In this case, the electoral college is meant to favor the candidate with broader geographical appeal, and it worked that way in 2000.

The electoral college does give more power in general to small rural states, but the idea of states as co-equal individual units, regardless of size, is enshrined in the constitution through the concept of the Senate as well as the requirement that 3/4 of individual states ratify constitutional amendments, a requirement that does not take into account the population of the states that have or have not ratified an amendment.

Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:33:25 PM »

I would prefer the EC stay. I think it's much more interesting to follow 51 sets of polls than just one. Also makes sure the candidates have a wide geographic appeal.

It sounds selfish, but I agree, it is much more fun to watch 51 polls.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies