Kamala Harris vs Tuisi Gabbard (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:25:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris vs Tuisi Gabbard (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris vs Tuisi Gabbard  (Read 3849 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: April 24, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

I'm not a Kamala fanboy or anything, but would Tulsi win any state other than Hawaii? Who would her base be? Harris is well to her left, so the Bernie voters probably end up in her camp, as do Hillary supporters and minorities.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:21:29 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2017, 10:23:21 PM by Damar »

I'm not a Kamala fanboy or anything, but would Tulsi win any state other than Hawaii? Who would her base be? Harris is well to her left, so the Bernie voters probably end up in her camp, as do Hillary supporters and minorities.

Is Harris really "well to the left" of Gabbard? I feel like that's kind of a dubious statement since Harris has never served in a state house and hasn't even been in congress for a full year.

Well, there are all kinds of ratings and rankings out there of how liberal/conservative Congressmen are, and they all rate Gabbard as a centrist.

For example, Govtrack ranks her the 172nd most liberal Representative in 2016. Progressive Punch ranks her in the triple digits, no matter which of the 4 ranking systems is used, and gives her an F for being far to the right of her district.

DW Nominate lists her as the 161st most liberal representative. Note that this is for the 2013-15 Congress - I couldn't find a more recent one from them, but it's consistent with the above 2 sources that are up-to-date, so I doubt it changes much.

Time will tell if Kamala Harris turns out to be just as much of a Blue Dog, but I find that incredibly unlikely. We can, however, say for sure that Tulsi is significantly less progressive than any of the 2020 potential candidates.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:57:04 AM »

Calling Tulsi Gabbard far-right reminds me of how someone on another forum called me a "immoral leftist libertine sodomite" for criticizing the GOP's hawkishness towards Iran.

No one is calling her "far right," Captain Strawman, just like no one is trying to define her ideology based on one single issue. The fact is, though, that every objective ranking system out there that combines ALL of her policy positions put her significantly to the right of Bernie and other 2020 contenders.

I find it odd that the same people who spent 2016 whining about how Hillary isn't liberal enough tend to either not care that Tulsi is even less liberal, or be willfully ignorant of the fact.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

She's a Democrat so she's not going to have a far-right voting record. But she supports the far-rightists who are in charge of India, and her supporters here are conveniently ignoring that.

Lol I don't think she's with the BJP or against the BJP, and frankly, your average American voter isn't going to care about anything having to do with India's politics and it's various political parties.

This is just another talking point perpetrated by Democratic hacks to smear Tulsi. I just don't buy it.

None of that changes the fact that Tulsi is one of the least liberal/progressive potential 2020 candidates, rated that way by multiple objective scoring systems, nor the fact that there's  a huge bizarre overlap between the people who like her and the people who didn't like Hillary because they thought she wasn't sufficiently liberal/progressive
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies