Should the Washington Redskins change their name? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:54:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Washington Redskins change their name? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes
No
No Opinion
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  (Read 23547 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

If Native Americans want the name changed, then why not change it? Why be a dick about it? Can someone here who doesn't support the name change explain why.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »

Ok, you people keep bringing up random ethnically named team names but none are an actual slur. Braves or Indians (though that logo is even more racist than the name redskins) is not a racist slur. Fighting Irish is not an ethnic slur. Vikings especially is not an ethnic slur.

So perhaps the real question is, do you guys not think "redskins" is a racist slur on par with calling an Asian person "yellow" or even the N word? That is what separates this name from the others.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2014, 12:34:58 PM by Sbane »

So perhaps the real question is, do you guys not think "redskins" is a racist slur on par with calling an Asian person "yellow" or even the N word? That is what separates this name from the others.

No. I think it's been the name of a football team since 1932, and a team who has seen some of the finest in the game pass through their facilities thoughout the years,  nothing more.

I am not saying that the organization itself is using it as a slur, or even used it to offend Native Americans in 1932 (many wouldn't have found the n-word offensive back then either). Still, you don't deny that this is a slur that was used against Native Americans in the past, do you?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »

I don't get what people have to gain from needlessly antagonizing Native Americans, I really don't.

Also, you guys don't get to decide what words are offensive to a certain group. If native Americans think redskins is racist, then it is. If the Irish think "fighting Irish" is offensive, then it is. If you are not Native American or Irish, your opinion is not worth much.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 08:35:29 PM by Sbane »

If you are not Native American or Irish, your opinion is not worth much.

I find this way of the thinking simply silly. 

If whether or not something 'is offensive' isn't to be judged by whether the people at which it's directed are offended by it, how is it to be judged? Whether uninvolved members of the general public think they should be offended? Some sort of external rubric handed down from on high?

Sbane is saying, in essence, we can't have an opinion.  I see pages and pages of opinions here Nathan, and many who are offended, and probably none of them are from Native Americans.....but their opinions don't count? 

We have discussions here all the time about what is misogynistic.....but only the females here have a right to an opinion?

I assure you if the opinions of a vast majority of Redskins fans were to change the name, or else, it would be changed. 

What I am trying to say is that you are not in a position to say what is or isn't offensive to Native Americans. I didn't say you can't have an opinion on this issue. Of course you can have an opinion and post about it. I am talking more specifically about you or others here saying that "redskins" should not be an offensive word to Native Americans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies