Kamala Harris Meets With Clinton Donors (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:31:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris Meets With Clinton Donors (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris Meets With Clinton Donors  (Read 3853 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »

It's the NY post ... I am seeing all these think pieces about how she's definetly been chosen by Clinton backers- based on this story- and I wonder when did political commentators start taking page six seriously?

I’m not sure what you mean about taking Page Six seriously.  Harris’s meeting with these folks definitely happened.  Page Six broke the story (I think), but other outlets have now reported it too.  E.g.:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/342431-dem-donors-buzzing-about-kamala-harris

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that’s a misreading of the significance of the event.  There’s nothing to indicate that this meeting means that Harris is now the favorite of Democratic donors.  The Post didn’t say that, and if others are inferring that from this story, then they’re wrong.  The significance of the story is that it’s a signal of Harris’s own ambitions: That she’s looking towards national office.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »

I honestly don't understand all the animosity atlas has towards Kamala Harris? She's far more electable than someone like Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker...
I think it's just that people who get hyped up too early and people who the establishments unite around tend not to work out. The last candidate to unite the establishment instantly and proceed to win was Dubya.

The establishment isn't anywhere close to uniting around anyone at this point.  Just because Harris met with these folks doesn't mean they're all united behind her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »

I don't doubt her ambition but keep in mind she's a west coast politician.When Gillibrand or Booker attends a fundraiser in Hollywood, sure it means they are expanding their network but I don't think you can instantly conclude they are definitely running in 2020.

As for those Clinton donors there was a story in the NY post awhile back that Gillibrand had reached out to them for support implied  she was testing the waters for 2020.

None of these folks are a lock to run in 2020, but Gillibrand reaching out to national donors in November and Harris reaching out to them now are the kinds of things that mean they're more likely to be planning a 2020 run for president than most of the other Dems in the Senate.  You might say "Didn't we already know that?"  Well sure, there are other clues too.  But it's important to make note of each clue along the way to get a clearer picture of what's going on, since the candidates are not going to publicly admit that they're planning a run for higher office at this point.  Hence, the need to track the tea leaves.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »

All of them are pandering to Sanders now, but only Warren is arguably in the Sanders wing. Maybe Gillibrand due to her position on health care.

It depends on how you’re defining the divisions within the party.  I’d say there are three main things that differentiated Sanders from Clinton:

1) Position on the ideological spectrum.  Clinton and Sanders disagreed on a number of policy positions, which (at least on economics and foreign policy) largely put Sanders to the left of Clinton.

2) Issue emphasis.  Sanders focused heavily on economic issues, whereas Clinton’s policy focus was more diffuse, with her spending more time (at least compared to Sanders) talking about social issues and foreign policy issues.

3) Establishment vs. anti-establishment (or partisanship vs. ideology).  Clinton was more establishmentarian and more of a supporter of the Democratic Party as an institution.  (I mean, Sanders even identifies as an Indy rather than a Dem.)

Not all of these three things necessarily have to go together.  In 2020, we’ll presumably see many more permutations along these three axes.  E.g., on domestic policy at least, Sanders and Warren agree on almost everything, and, at least recently, Gillibrand also agrees with them on almost everything.  (She’s co-sponsoring practically every bill that Sanders has his name on.)  If the three of them were to debate, what would they even disagree on?

So on the ideological axis, at least if you believe what they’re saying today, there’s very little difference.  But Sanders and Warren put far more emphasis on economic issues, while Gillibrand is the uber-feminist SJW.  (Though she has recently spent more time trying to tie this feminism into bread and butter economic issues.)

Gillibrand’s also a lot more “partisan” and “establishmentarian” than Sanders is, while Warren is perhaps somewhere in between.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies