Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:17:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 286 287 ... 289
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 200196 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7025 on: April 26, 2024, 04:31:06 PM »

The fact that Israel routinely uses torture isn't seriously in doubt.

Israel: Palestinian children still being tortured in Israeli prisons

Inside Israel’s torture camp for Gaza detainees

DEMOCRACY AND THE MIS-RULE OF LAW: THE ISRAELI LEGAL SYSTEM'S FAILURE TO PREVENT TORTURE IN THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES

Horrific testimonies: Israeli army tortures Palestinians in Gaza physically and psychologically

Israel/OPT: Horrifying cases of torture and degrading treatment of Palestinian detainees amid spike in arbitrary arrests 

This stuff is just so obviously indefensible that most Israel defenders don't even try, they just pivot to how their feelings are hurt by words on the internet. Case in point,

Jake Shields is a more reliable source than the IDF, prove me wrong

(also he isn't the source the confessing IDF soldier is)

Just keep on telling on yourself. That's right, the CTE Nazi who calls people "Lying Jews" is a credible source. You're in good company.

I know this might be tough for you to understand but the point of the comparison was not "Jake Shields is trustworthy, just like the IDF", it was "the IDF is less reliable and trustworthy than a guy who gets punched in the face for a living"
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #7026 on: April 26, 2024, 05:00:52 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7027 on: April 26, 2024, 05:10:21 PM »

The likes in this thread have gotten really illuminating!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7028 on: April 26, 2024, 05:45:35 PM »

Stop. I only said innocent until proven guilty. I've been skeptical of some of these reports about Israel torturing people because I want to see conclusive evidence.

If you're going to tell UNRWA is a terrorist organisation, then give me conclusive evidence. As pointed out above, UNRWA themselves didn't conclude they had no part in it, but an independent review did. Evidently, what they found was not conclusive enough to the German government to halt funding entirely.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7029 on: April 26, 2024, 05:47:18 PM »

Stop. I only said innocent until proven guilty. I've been skeptical of some of these reports about Israel torturing people because I want to see conclusive evidence.

If you're going to tell UNRWA is a terrorist organisation, then give me conclusive evidence. As pointed out above, UNRWA themselves didn't conclude they had no part in it, but an independent review did. Evidently, what they found was not conclusive enough to the German government to halt funding entirely.

My dude, you are definitely not who I am referring to, as you have not liked any posts defending the use of a holocaust-denying Neo-Nazi as an anti-Israel source. We were having a perfectly respectable conversation about the UNRWA issue.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7030 on: April 26, 2024, 05:55:00 PM »

My dude, you are definitely not who I am referring to, as you have not liked any posts defending the use of a holocaust-denying Neo-Nazi as an anti-Israel source. We were having a perfectly respectable conversation about the UNRWA issue.

The 5(!) links that MBD provided about the IDF torturing people are all valid sources that have nothing to do with Jake Shields, but you haven't responded to them either.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7031 on: April 26, 2024, 06:43:02 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 07:22:23 PM by Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas »

The 5(!) links that MBD provided about the IDF torturing people are all valid sources that have nothing to do with Jake Shields, but you haven't responded to them either.

I could easily point out the many issues with those links, including the accusations against some of the sources or the fact that they all rely on similar sources for their accusations, but I would be dancing for an audience of people who think it's okay to post a Holocaust denier if he's saying the right things, so *shrug*
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7032 on: April 26, 2024, 06:51:57 PM »

I could easily point out the many issues with those links, including the accusations against some of the sources or the fact that they all rely on similar sources for their accusations, but I would be dancing for an audience of people who think it's okay to post a Holocaust survivor if he's saying the right things, so *shrug*

That should say Holocaust denier Tongue
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7033 on: April 26, 2024, 07:57:35 PM »

UNRWA isn’t a credible source for anything

UN organisation with links to staff who raped, tortured, murdered, kidnapped and harboured Israeli's on Oct 7.

One of the real problems with modern war is the UN. It's borderline useless and is often hijacked by the aggressor, example Serb Chetniks in the Srebrenica massacre.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7034 on: April 26, 2024, 08:21:31 PM »

Al-Jazeera has latched on to the generational gap that is opening a wide fissure within the Democratic Party:

Generation gap: What student protests say about US politics, Israel support
Experts say growing protest movement on university campuses could help shift US policy on Israel in the long term.

At the very least, it is safe to say that President Biden will be the last Democrat elected to the nation's highest office to unequivocally support Israel.  Going forward, it will be a Republican position. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7035 on: April 26, 2024, 08:49:46 PM »

UNRWA isn’t a credible source for anything

UN organisation with links to staff who raped, tortured, murdered, kidnapped and harboured Israeli's on Oct 7.

One of the real problems with modern war is the UN. It's borderline useless and is often hijacked by the aggressor, example Serb Chetniks in the Srebrenica massacre.

Evidently, this review does not support what you're saying.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7036 on: April 27, 2024, 10:11:15 AM »

Out of curiosity, if M.B.D. had posted that clip from literally any other person on Twitter, would you guys actually take the substance of it seriously, or just because the clip was posted by some jackass online automatically invalidates it?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7037 on: April 27, 2024, 11:27:15 AM »

Out of curiosity, if M.B.D. had posted that clip from literally any other person on Twitter, would you guys actually take the substance of it seriously, or just because the clip was posted by some jackass online automatically invalidates it?

It's not "some jackass", it's an infamous Holocaust denier. I would be willing to engage with it to find out how reliable it was, at least. When a Holocaust denier posts something, my fair assumption is that they are simply trying to incite more anti-Jewish murder.

And if there were other sources for the specific claim by Shields, I'm certain that someone would have found them. There's a reason MBD pivoted immediately to more general accusations.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7038 on: April 28, 2024, 05:11:28 AM »

The Cleanup Bill at Gaza just to clear away the rubble.

750,000 work days.

So with 10 trucks, that is 140 years of full time work.

(Pehr Lodhammar - United Nations Mine Action Service)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7039 on: April 28, 2024, 08:35:44 AM »

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7040 on: April 28, 2024, 09:35:22 AM »

I guess the revelation that Blinken had done nothing under similar circumstances, despite being advised to do so, has prompted him to finally take action...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7041 on: April 28, 2024, 10:25:48 AM »

Can’t wait for GMac to say Reuters is lying about this
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7042 on: April 28, 2024, 10:34:10 AM »

The usual suspects will just ignore it, or they will go way back in this person's history to find some kind of outlandish reason to call her an antisemite. It's all they have left.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7043 on: April 28, 2024, 12:11:40 PM »

Why would he claim Reuters is lying? It's well-known that State Department non-appointed employees have a strong pro-Palestinian bent compared to the leadership and the administration.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7044 on: April 28, 2024, 12:12:41 PM »

I guess the revelation that Blinken had done nothing under similar circumstances, despite being advised to do so, has prompted him to finally take action...

This is from eight days ago and has already been walked back, apparently. It seems like threatening negative steps and then walking them back is how the administration gets Netanyahu to back off certain things.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7045 on: April 28, 2024, 03:36:38 PM »

This is from eight days ago and has already been walked back, apparently. It seems like threatening negative steps and then walking them back is how the administration gets Netanyahu to back off certain things.

Yeah, I was just about to say that this had been called off. Disgusting. If we have an embargo against Azov, we should have an embargo against all ideology driven paramilitary units.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #7046 on: April 28, 2024, 04:03:01 PM »

Yeah, I was just about to say that this had been called off. Disgusting. If we have an embargo against Azov, we should have an embargo against all ideology driven paramilitary units.

Is the embargo against Azov good policy? My impression is that Azov has substantially de-nazified since 2014, and that their distinctiveness today comes primarily from their reputation for violence/toughness rather than war crimes or Nazi ideals. I guess there are political reasons to avoid aid (Russian propaganda, for example) but I find this a bit of a strange analogy given that Azov's sanctioning was itself controversial, with the Pentagon allegedly pushing back on it, and with it needing special legislation to be sanctioned precisely because it wasn't thought to have violated the Leahy Act's prohibitions on funding for units that have committed "gross violation(s) of human rights."

More to the point, in what ways is the Netzah Yehuda battalion comparable to Azov? I'm certainly no fans of theirs -- they are much more religious than I am, for example -- but they definitely aren't Neo-Nazis. And I'm not aware of any gross violations of human rights they've committed that would actually fall under the Leahy Act, which is part of why Speaker Johnson recently called the White House to demand that the recent aid package not exclude them.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7047 on: April 28, 2024, 04:07:32 PM »

Is the embargo against Azov good policy? My impression is that Azov has substantially de-nazified since 2014, and that their distinctiveness today comes primarily from their reputation for violence/toughness rather than war crimes or Nazi ideals. I guess there are political reasons to avoid aid (Russian propaganda, for example) but I find this a bit of a strange analogy given that Azov's sanctioning was itself controversial, with the Pentagon allegedly pushing back on it, and with it needing special legislation to be sanctioned precisely because it wasn't thought to have violated the Leahy Act's prohibitions on funding for units that have committed "gross violation(s) of human rights."

More to the point, in what ways is the Netzah Yehuda battalion comparable to Azov? I'm certainly no fans of theirs -- they are much more religious than I am, for example -- but they definitely aren't Neo-Nazis. And I'm not aware of any gross violations of human rights they've committed that would actually fall under the Leahy Act, which is part of why Speaker Johnson recently called the White House to demand that the recent aid package not exclude them.

As far as I am aware of the Yehuda Battalion, they are largely drawn from young settler men, who happen to be on the extreme side, and are often members of the 'Hilltop Youth' which itself is a largely Kahanist sympathetic, to be mild, organization.

Yes, Kahanism is an odious ideology that should absolutely not be the grounds for any military formation, let alone one receiving weapons and money from us. Regardless of whether they are affiliated with an "allied" armed force or not.

I'm not going to get into a debate on Azov since I've been involved in multiple back and forths on that elsewhere. I understand why you wouldn't think they should be embargoed, but the links are still very much present and even if they were just 'symbolic nazi imagery' as some suggest, that would still be enough to not fund them.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #7048 on: April 29, 2024, 03:52:54 PM »

Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7049 on: April 29, 2024, 03:54:13 PM »

Excellent. This court has no authority over the Israeli government, which does not recognize it, and they're courting disaster by planning to kidnap Israeli sitting government officials. The US has the power to intimidate them before a disaster ensues.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 286 287 ... 289  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies