TX-SEN: True to Form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:07:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN: True to Form
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 68
Author Topic: TX-SEN: True to Form  (Read 159013 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »

Hypothetically, how would Former Admiral and Chancellor of the UT system William McRaven do if he ran?

I'm very skeptical of whether McRaven actually has political ambitions, but a well-respected former military official with a fairly inspiring personal story would be great for a state like Texas.

Definitely a spectacular choice. I think he would even outperform Clinton, and hold Cruz to mid single digets. Probably 51-45 Cruz.
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2017, 11:25:31 PM »

assuming that 2018 isn't a complete Democratic landslide I believe that Cruz will hold his seat. Depending on the democratic turn out and if O'Rourke can manage a well run campaign I could see it possibly becoming up a 5 point race.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:49 PM »

Hypothetically, how would Former Admiral and Chancellor of the UT system William McRaven do if he ran?

I'm very skeptical of whether McRaven actually has political ambitions, but a well-respected former military official with a fairly inspiring personal story would be great for a state like Texas.

Isn't he debating TX Gov?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »

Huh, is he? I think, strangely, Texas is one of the few blue states where it might be easier for a Democrat to win the Senate than the governorship, along with Arizona.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »

A nearly Point Trump win does not mean Texas is being lost by Republicans to the Democrats. Texas is the epicenter of all types of Republicans that would hate Trump. If the nominee was any other Republican, Trump would have won by Bush 2004 margins in the state.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »

Huh, is he? I think, strangely, Texas is one of the few blue states where it might be easier for a Democrat to win the Senate than the governorship, along with Arizona.

I don't think he is, judging from a cursory Google search.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »

Neat.
A nearly Point Trump win does not mean Texas is being lost by Republicans to the Democrats. Texas is the epicenter of all types of Republicans that would hate Trump. If the nominee was any other Republican, Trump would have won by Bush 2004 margins in the state.
No.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »

I don't think that Cruz will be ousted in 2018, but I think the 2024 senate race in texas could be tilt D under the perfect storm:

1. It is 2024, and Trump has won reelection in 2020.

2. An incredibly unpopular Cruz has been reelected with a pathetic 53-44 against O'Rourke in 2018, and is running again in 2024 after winning the nomination.

3. Due to #1, hopefully it would be a blue wave year the size of 2008.

4. The minority population in Texas has been given another 7 years to grow.

5. The Democratic nominee is Admiral William McRaven

6. The Democratic Ticket on top of the ballot for prez is very appealing.

7. That's all I can think of for now, but I think if those things happenedd, I think McRaven would win 49-47.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2017, 11:22:28 PM »

Heard that somewhere. McRaven would be a great recruit against Greg abbott
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2017, 04:49:58 AM »

Heard that somewhere. McRaven would be a great recruit against Greg abbott

While there may be a slim chance to oust Lyin' Ted, there is actually zero chance that Abbott does not win reelection.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »

I'll look past the fact that he's a New Democrat. He's probably the best hope of the Democrats, plus his position on campaign finance reform is superb. Endorsed.

His opponent is Lyin' Ted. Cory Booker is a 1000 times better candidate than Lyin' Ted & so is the corrupt Menendez or the out of touch Feinstein.

This is Lyin' Ted & for the long term, this is even more important that winning the House in 2018 (Although Lyin' Ted will surely win!)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »

I'll look past the fact that he's a New Democrat. He's probably the best hope of the Democrats, plus his position on campaign finance reform is superb. Endorsed.
Since when has O'Rourke been a New Democrat?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »

Cruz will win by double digits; Atlas will be sad yet again.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »

He couldn't win double digits against an unfunded nobody. There's no way he wins by more than 15 points. With an incumbent republican in the white house it should be less than that.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

He couldn't win double digits against an unfunded nobody. There's no way he wins by more than 15 points. With an incumbent republican in the white house it should be less than that.
He won by 16 points the first time around.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »

He won by 16 points the first time around.
I think he's confusing double digits with 20+
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

No doubt Cruz will win, and odds are by lower double digits. But, I would not be very surprised if this thing is mid to higher single digits. Because Cruz is well, Cruz, O'Rourke is a pretty good candidate, this will be a Trumpian midterm, and our demographics are rapidly changing. I would not rule out Cruz winning by 6-9 points, pretty unlikely, but not out of the picture.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »

This race could be a really interesting case of personality politics. Beto's just... quirky, but in a totally authentic way that I think could carry across well with the limited number of swing voters there are in Texas, whereas Cruz has never been popular or likable.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »

His opponent is Lyin' Ted. Cory Booker is a 1000 times better candidate than Lyin' Ted & so is the corrupt Menendez or the out of touch Feinstein.

This is Lyin' Ted & for the long term, this is even more important that winning the House in 2018 (Although Lyin' Ted will surely win!)

This too, but the "lesser of two evils argument" is not the only argument. O'Roarke is probably one of my favorite New Democrats - he's much more preferrable than someone like HRC.

Since when has O'Rourke been a New Democrat?

I don't know, if you go to the New Democrat Coalition page on Wikipedia, his name is on there.

Last I checked, New Democrats didn't refuse Super PAC money.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2017, 09:20:58 AM by UWS »

Maybe O'Rourke could need help from Warren Buffet and George Soros in order to edge Ted Cruz in terms of campaign funding. I don't think it would hurt him since, on the other hand, Cruz would already be endorsed by the Koch Brothers.

Maybe even Mark Cuban's money could be an asset since Cuban is also from Texas and has endorsed Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2017, 05:47:55 AM »

Maybe O'Rourke could need help from Warren Buffet and George Soros in order to edge Ted Cruz in terms of campaign funding. I don't think it would hurt him since, on the other hand, Cruz would already be endorsed by the Koch Brothers.

Maybe even Mark Cuban's money could be an asset since Cuban is also from Texas and has endorsed Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump.

Lyin' Ted took all the PAC, Super pac & donor money & still raised less than O'Rourke who took 0 Pac, Super-pact money. O'Rourke is drawing huge money from small individual donors & has out-raised Lyin' Ted's big donors.

At this point, Lyin' Ted should go begging to the Mercers for more money so that he can keep up with O'Rourke !
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:16 AM »

He doesn't need the money. He'll win anyway.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »

He holds super pac money high and he lies! Lyin' Ted!
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »

Give an example of a lie.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2017, 10:20:55 PM »

Give an example of a lie.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/01/fox_news_is_getting_really_good_at_spotting_ted_cruz_s_lies.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies