Were the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justified? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:09:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Were the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justified? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Were the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justified?  (Read 3987 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »

I think it was justified (as in, I can see Truman's train of thought) but not really necessary. People often forget that Japan was only just processing the devestating invasion of Manchuria by the Soviets.

Hardly the worst Allied bombing though.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »

Nuclear weapons did not cause the relative peace of postwar society.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2015, 10:25:45 AM by Crabby And His Moron Brothers »

I think - and this may be an extension of bias stemming from my political roots - the net danger from nuclear programs in regards to sabotage, accidents, errors and encouraged proliferation far outweighs the supposed benefits of "nuclear peace". The Cold War is littered with a litany of potential nuclear exchanges and accidents basically stopped by dumb luck.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »

I can't help but think racial issues lie behind the decision (as well as the firebombing campaign). The Americans did not join in (for the most part) on the ruthless RAF bombing attacks on German civilian targets, believing them to be crude and unneeded. On the Pacific front however, LeMay and his minions were allowed free reign on devastating Japanese cities.

Here's a Truman quote:

"The only language they seem to understand is the one we have been using to bombard them. When you have to deal with a beast you have to treat him like a beast. It is most regrettable but nevertheless true"

It seems that the Americans largely had completely dehumanised their enemy by this stage to the extent they had convinced themselves that the Japanese were monolithic and would never, ever surrender without being hurt.

Here's an interesting hypothetical actually (I believe it was first raised by Einstein): suppose Germany had developed two Fat Man style bombs and dropped them on, say, Hull and Portsmouth; but then ran out of bombs and surrender to the Allies. Would the Allies have regarded such an attack as a war crime? Or would they have shrugged it off? I know the phrase "winners write history" is trite nonsense for the most part, but it is interesting to consider. Is such an act only immoral if you lose?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »

Perhaps "used to justify nonsense" is more appropriate? E.g. Sympathisers for axis powers, confederate or other such unpleasant groups will always throw out that idiom as part of their persecution complex.

@NatProg, it's hard to say. It was definitely developed out of fear of the German's project, but much of the race seemed to be just a race to get one; which explains why most of the Manhattan Project scientists turned squeamish at the prospect of using the bombs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies