Jena 6 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jena 6 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jena 6  (Read 7212 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: September 20, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »

This is the dumbest thing ever, even for the Sharpton/Jesse Jackson crowd. If you beat up somebody at school so badly as to induce unconsciousness, you shouldn't be surprised if you go to jail. As others have said, attempted murder is excessive unless intent can be proven, but I cannot begin to understand the outpouring of sympathy and expressions of victimhood over obviously criminal activity.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »

This is the dumbest thing ever, even for the Sharpton/Jesse Jackson crowd. If you beat up somebody at school so badly as to induce unconsciousness, you shouldn't be surprised if you go to jail. As others have said, attempted murder is excessive unless intent can be proven, but I cannot begin to understand the outpouring of sympathy and expressions of victimhood over obviously criminal activity.

Did you read the article?  Most of it was not mentioned on CBS tonight (such as the racist remarks that caused the beating or that he went to a social function that night).  The problem at hand is the double standard in the justice system.

I agree with Reluctant Republican (!) that they should have all just gotten community service.  Of course, it's the south, so logic won't prevail ever.

I really don't care about the he said/she said crap. If you physically attack somebody, you should serve time. It doesn't really matter what race the students are. Community service ought to be reserved for very minor, non-violent offenses.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2007, 02:57:40 PM by memphis »

I wouldn't make racially insensitive remarks period, let alone in a school with many black students.  The racist deserved what he got.

It doesn't change the fact that they broke the law. The victim being a racist jackass doesn't change that. If we go about letting people off scott free for breaking the law just because the victim "deserved it" then we cease to have proper law and order. If you wish to live in a society where people get off for breaking the law simply because the mob feels that the victim was a jerk then you've got a serious problem and you're little better than a KKK member who thinks that a lynch mob should get off because "the n deserved it". Personally, I prefer to live in a society where violence is only justified by self-defense.

Exactly right. Maybe the guy did "deserve" it. Nonetheless, that's very subjective and not how law works, nor ought it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies