Israel Ambassador: If UN recognize Palestaine, expect the US to completely stop funding the UN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Israel Ambassador: If UN recognize Palestaine, expect the US to completely stop funding the UN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Israel Ambassador: If UN recognize Palestaine, expect the US to completely stop funding the UN  (Read 1205 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2024, 08:36:10 PM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-set-to-vote-on-symbolic-measure-backing-palestine-recognition/
Israeli Ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan denounced the draft General Assembly resolution Monday, saying it would give the Palestinians the de facto status and rights of a state and goes against the founding UN Charter.

“If it is approved, I expect the United States to completely stop funding the UN and its institutions, in accordance with American law,” said Erdan, adding that adoption by the General Assembly would not change anything on the ground.

What American law??
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 08:38:07 PM »

If this is based in such an American law then said American law needs to be changed or repealed outright.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 09:00:08 PM »

this is ridiculous
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 09:09:11 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2024, 10:50:56 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-cuts-unesco-funding-after-palestinian-vote/

The lopsided vote to admit Palestine as a member of UNESCO, which only the United States and 13 other countries opposed, triggered a long-standing congressional ban on U.S. funding to U.N. bodies that recognize Palestine as a state before an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal is reached. The State Department said a $60 million payment to UNESCO scheduled for November would not be made as a result, and U.S. officials warned of a "cascade" effect at other U.N. bodies that might follow UNESCO's lead.

We already did this for UNESCO under Obama. Trump fully left UNESCO but Biden rejoined in 2023. It is the law and although theoretically Biden could abstain on statehood the ramifications of that would be huge.

Kinda dumb on paper but if Palestine actually became a country through which the US agreed the law would probably be repealed back when it was signed*. It's a somewhat good thing now as Biden can't overturn decades of US policy to win releection.

*I do wonder if Republicans would block a repeal if they had either house of congress.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 09:31:13 PM »

I could care less about all the corrupt reprobates in the UN, but sacrificing all the influence that funding gives us because of Israel of all things is ridiculous.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 09:32:08 PM »

This isn't going to backfire at all.

/s

(You can predict the behavior of organizations by assuming they're secretly controlled by a cabal of their enemies, bent on discrediting and destroying them.)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 09:36:36 PM »

America first?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 09:59:25 PM »

Imagine actually feeling sorry for the UN Roll Eyes
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 10:01:52 PM »

The UN is not great, but leaving it over Israel would hurt our worldwide reputation far more than simply telling the Israelis to stfu and be better people.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 10:03:31 PM »

The UN is not great, but leaving it over Israel would hurt our worldwide reputation far more than simply telling the Israelis to stfu and be better people.

This isn't leaving the UN, its just defunding the UN.  When the bill was created it also wasn't seen as very realistic to defund the UN so this basically just forces future presidents to keep a consistent foreign policy on this issue until a true solution can be created.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 10:13:28 PM »

This isn't leaving the UN, its just defunding the UN.  When the bill was created it also wasn't seen as very realistic to defund the UN so this basically just forces future presidents to keep a consistent foreign policy on this issue until a true solution can be created.

I guess that's slightly better but it still seems like an unnecessary temper tantrum.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 10:21:40 PM »

Defunding the UN based on one country's demands a has made my point about Israel's interference in American politics.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2024, 10:35:52 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2024, 10:50:21 PM by lfromnj »

This isn't leaving the UN, its just defunding the UN.  When the bill was created it also wasn't seen as very realistic to defund the UN so this basically just forces future presidents to keep a consistent foreign policy on this issue until a true solution can be created.

Defunding the UN based on one country's demands a has made my point about Israel's interference in American politics.

It isn't just Israel's demands. Its also based off legitimate US foreign policy interest in crafting a two state solution that fits our desires.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2024, 02:42:48 AM »

Three are many more important issues in FP than Israel.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2024, 05:54:40 AM »

I could care less about all the corrupt reprobates in the UN, but sacrificing all the influence that funding gives us because of Israel of all things is ridiculous.

This, pretty much.  The UN is full of reprobate nations, but it IS the World's Forum that we DO have influence in.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2024, 05:59:24 AM »

Even if it's US law I find it very presumptuous an undiplomatic for the Israeli ambassador to talk like that about the affairs of another nation.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2024, 07:57:58 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2024, 08:04:48 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

Even if it's US law I find it very presumptuous an undiplomatic for the Israeli ambassador to talk like that about the affairs of another nation.

Did you see the resolution going around signed by Republican Congress members preparing sanctions on the International Criminal Court officials if they have arrest warrants out for Israeli officials? Maybe Israel has reasons to talk so brazenly. I'm pretty confident they're having at the very least indirect discussions with Congressmen.

http://www.axios.com/2024/05/07/house-republicans-icc-sanctions-draft-precaution

It is ridiculous, but this and many other instances show the ICC will never be allowed to operate in totality and should just politely be called a well meaning failure like the Kellogg-Briand Pact.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2024, 08:03:18 AM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-cuts-unesco-funding-after-palestinian-vote/

The lopsided vote to admit Palestine as a member of UNESCO, which only the United States and 13 other countries opposed, triggered a long-standing congressional ban on U.S. funding to U.N. bodies that recognize Palestine as a state before an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal is reached. The State Department said a $60 million payment to UNESCO scheduled for November would not be made as a result, and U.S. officials warned of a "cascade" effect at other U.N. bodies that might follow UNESCO's lead.

Imagine if we did these kinds of things in the '70s on the ROC to PRC transition.

We already did this for UNESCO under Obama. Trump fully left UNESCO but Biden rejoined in 2023. It is the law and although theoretically Biden could abstain on statehood the ramifications of that would be huge.

If he won reelection, he could threaten it to Israel in say December this year to force Israel back. 2 years of runway afterward.

Kind of amazing how our presidential election in 6 months is driving decision-making of the  parties in 2 wars at present.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2024, 10:25:48 AM »

I wasn’t aware officials from other countries could tell what officials from countries that aren’t theirs will do, but it goes to show how much USA is worldwide recognized as Israel’s lapdog that even Israeli ambassador will confidently say something of this kind and not sound like delusion. He’s probably correct.

I don’t support Israel, but I do support US getting out of UN for Israel btw. The less US presence in the global institutions, the better and that is the isolationist path they’re clearly choosing for themselves not just with Trump, but with Biden as well.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 10:35:29 AM »

I wasn’t aware officials from other countries could tell what officials from countries that aren’t theirs will do,

That's the funniest thing a Putin simp could say.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2024, 10:36:44 AM »

President Biden is more likely to have the US recognize Palestine and not veto UN membership than defund the UN lol
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 10:41:29 AM »

Yup. I used the like the UN and still think it's a good concept, but the last 20-25 years showed that it's not functioning the way it should. The Security Council at least should be reformed and veto powers be stripped.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 10:43:38 AM »

I wasn’t aware officials from other countries could tell what officials from countries that aren’t theirs will do, but it goes to show how much USA is worldwide recognized as Israel’s lapdog that even Israeli ambassador will confidently say something of this kind and not sound like delusion. He’s probably correct.

I don’t support Israel, but I do support US getting out of UN for Israel btw. The less US presence in the global institutions, the better and that is the isolationist path they’re clearly choosing for themselves not just with Trump, but with Biden as well.

Counterpoint : The US far right has sought to damage the UN for sometime now. There was always a skepticism of the UN coming from the right wing of the Republican Party. Israel's only taking advantage of the populist isolationist sentiment.

Remember the John BIrch Society ? National Review ?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 10:44:20 AM »

President Biden is more likely to have the US recognize Palestine and not veto UN membership than defund the UN lol

hahaha do you really strongly believe in that? It’s possible but I wouldn’t be this confident.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 10:48:10 AM »

This isn't leaving the UN, its just defunding the UN.  When the bill was created it also wasn't seen as very realistic to defund the UN so this basically just forces future presidents to keep a consistent foreign policy on this issue until a true solution can be created.

It isn't just Israel's demands. Its also based off legitimate US foreign policy interest in crafting a two state solution that fits our desires.

Well the Israelis aren’t at all interested in a two state solution so good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies