According to CNN and an expert scholar, the jmfcst is as dumb as mud... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:34:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  According to CNN and an expert scholar, the jmfcst is as dumb as mud... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: According to CNN and an expert scholar, the jmfcst is as dumb as mud...  (Read 4089 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »

Just checking: you didn't specify his complaint anywhere.  Is this the "the word usually translated as homosexual in Paul's letter actually refers to male prostitutes" complaint, or is it some new complaint I haven't heard before?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

...Wait, this guy claims the Centurion's servant was actually his lover?

That's...not one I've heard before.  That's a really weird direction to take that passage.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2012, 11:20:21 AM by The Mikado »

...Wait, this guy claims the Centurion's servant was actually his lover?

That's...not one I've heard before.  That's a really weird direction to take that passage.

Mikado....going off on a tanget here...but what exactly is your story?  In another thread, it was stated you were once a member of Judaism - which explains your knowledge of the OT.  But it also seems you have read the NT.  Correct?  If so, what is your impression of it?

(forgive me if I forgetting past conversations with you on this topic - my memory retention in regard to this forum is extremely poor)

I was a Jew, and a pretty firmly convinced one, until a point when I had a sudden realization that I was just going through the motions and didn't actually believe the words I was saying, which caused me to reevaluate my stance.  I realized that I had actually held onto Judaism longer because the liturgy was in Hebrew, leading me to not have to seriously interface with the message because I was more focused on correct pronunciation and memorization than the meaning of the words I was saying.

I had always been interested in theology and had been assigned several of the Gospels in my 10th grade Literature class at my (secular) high school.  I decided to read the NT (not straight through, but book by book over the course of years).  I had already read most of the OT and have since read the rest (not straight through, again: Psalms is not meant to be read that way).  I was legitimately interested to see if the Bible could convince me, in part because I've always had a fondness for (certain types of) Christianity.  It would be far easier for me to become a Christian than to return to Judaism, with which I have a number of problems.  In college, I had to read several major Christian texts, Augustine's City of God Against the Pagans being the most prominent.  I respect Augustine: don't share his faith, but he's a great example of how a hyper-intelligent man can come to terms with Christianity and accept it on its own terms.

In general, I'm very interested in seeing where other people are coming from and I also have a passion for reading the "classics," so I interface with a lot of religion.  Just over a year ago, I undertook the project of reading the Koran, which was...mildly disappointing.  The Koran simply is not nearly as good on a literary level as the Bible is.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies