Best Cities for Millennials (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:02:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Best Cities for Millennials (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Cities for Millennials  (Read 1305 times)
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:50 PM »

I think Baltimore's pretty great now.  I often find myself desperately wishing the University of Maryland could somehow be relocated to Baltimore so that I could live in an actual city.

The nation's capital is but a short Metro ride away...
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:57:15 PM »

I think Baltimore's pretty great now.  I often find myself desperately wishing the University of Maryland could somehow be relocated to Baltimore so that I could live in an actual city.
Why, yes, a fake city that I do not like is a Metro ride away.  I'll take Baltimore, thanks.

Wow! Fake city? D.C. has more humans living in it than Baltimore does. And there's a whole heck of a lot more to this city than the federal government...
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »

Why, yes, a fake city that I do not like is a Metro ride away.  I'll take Baltimore, thanks.
Wow! Fake city? D.C. has more humans living in it than Baltimore does. And there's a whole heck of a lot more to this city than the federal government...
Sure, about 20,000 more people, and the DC metropolitan area certainly has more people.  I'm not sure why you're assuming that I'm completely ignorant of what there is to do in DC; I've lived here for two years.  I just like that there's actually tall buildings in Baltimore, parts of town with lots of fun bars with people who aren't networking while wearing collared shirts, residents who will talk to strangers without requiring a letter of reference from at least two sitting members of Congress, the idea of having people who are actually "locals", and smiling.  I miss seeing people smiling Sad  I've seen all those things in Baltimore Grin

Hmm. Interesting. Wasn't necessarily assuming that, but my experience has been so different that your earlier comment surprised me. Where in D.C. did you live? I've lived in Columbia Heights/Park View for about 4 years now, and none of those things describe the people I hang out with. We have some chill neighborhood bars where I routinely run into people I know, and I live with some artists (one of whom is a UMD grad student), a public health worker, and a military guy, and I can't even count the number of art openings, performances, and backyard gatherings I've been to. I've spontaneously participated in performance art involving the communal eating of vegan hotdogs that had been laid out in the shape of a heart, and I officiated an interracial same-sex wedding for dear friends in a park here that the general public crashed (there were about 500 onlookers to what was supposed to have been a 10-person wedding, and the applause at the end was so thunderous the couple couldn't even hear my cue to kiss). In fact, most of the time here I feel like I live in a small town - I can't even go for a run in my neighborhood without getting stopped by people I know wanting to chat. I'm sorry your D.C. experience wasn't as fulfilling. But it's a pretty diverse city. Overpriced lobbyist/Hill hangouts aren't representative of the ways most people here live, I really don't think.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies