Do we have souls? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:59:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do we have souls? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do we have souls?  (Read 7566 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: February 29, 2016, 03:27:42 AM »

No.  Soul is a word that describes our sense of self which is a product of our biology.

But, once you're dead or braindead even, it's over.  Whatever it is that was you is 100% gone forever.  That's the only conclusion I can draw.   

Believing in a soul that outlives your brain is just wishful thinking and flattering yourself. 

That has to be the most depressing outlook on death that I have ever read. 

I dunno, better than eternal punishment.

I've heard about a theory that the quantum physics could prove our consciousness can survive in some other dimension after we die. Since my knowledge about the quantum physic is next to nothing, I reserve my judgement. Still, even if it's true, I wouldn't call it a "soul".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »

I've heard about a theory that the quantum physics could prove our consciousness can survive in some other dimension after we die. Since my knowledge about the quantum physic is next to nothing, I reserve my judgement. Still, even if it's true, I wouldn't call it a "soul".

Doesn't sound right. We couldn't even really verify that theory, either. Our brain is nothing more than a very complex biological computer.

I don't think there is any soul at all. Once we die, that's it. There is nothing more. Your memories, thoughts and being cease to exist. A hallmark of our sapience seems to be the thought that there is more, that somehow we are special and not just a bag of meat with a computer in our heads giving us the reality we perceive.

Sounds sad and/or lackluster, but all scientific evidence points to it.

That's why I'm sceptical of this whole theory.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies