Couple of reasons why I ain't a rabid right winger (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:41:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Couple of reasons why I ain't a rabid right winger (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Couple of reasons why I ain't a rabid right winger  (Read 2363 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: August 23, 2005, 01:47:06 PM »

1-Why is it that they seem to think lowering taxes for the super-rich is more important than cutting down on poverty?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2-I'm told that somehow I'm threatened by gay marriage, but so far I've yet to see anyway in which I'm negatively affected by two people of the same gender marrying.

I don't feel at all threatened by gay marriage, but out of obedience to what I believe God has to say on the matter, I cannot support it.  When it comes to the clear written word of God, I have no choice but to obey.

3-Why is it always anti-American to criticize Bush? No one claimed it was to criticize Clinton while he was in office.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4-How does banning lapdances or passing stupid regulations on strip clubs benefit me?

Is this really a "rabid right wing" thing?  There's a balance that must be struck between personal freedom and the enticement and corruption of youth.  Also, between personal freedom to pay women to writhe nude in front of you and community freedom not to have that kind of thing going on in town.  In other words, have your fun, but keep it away from schools and residential neighborhoods, and local municipalities should be able to choose not to have strip clubs in their backyard.

If enough municipalities forbid strip clubs, it will become rare enough that some enterprising municipalities will decide that the potential revenues outweigh the moral ickiness.  Simple market forces.  That is why the Wisconsin countryside is dotted with Paradise Lounges and Centerfold Clubs.  They're out of the city where they don't really bother anyone.

5-And why does protesting a war always supposedly mean that you hate the troops? Claimed about John Kerry then, and claimed about the anti-war movement now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6-Why the hell should I support people like Robertson and Falwell?

Both are an embarassment to all people of faith everywhere.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:05:53 PM »

First, if the post by Better Red than Dead is "fairly accurate." then I have never met "rabid right-wingers." 

You obviously don't listen to talk radio Smiley.

I go to an evangelical church.  I know plenty of people who believe in lowering taxes on the wealthy, are against gay marriage, think it's unpatriotic and un-Christian (!!!) to criticize Bush, are against strip clubs, and think that if you are against the war you hate the troops, are unpatriotic and un-Christian.  They don't really listen to Robertson and Falwell, but they do obey the every command of James Dobson, the Family Research Council, and the American Family Association.  BRTD's post is not that far off.

I understand firsthand how Christianity in this country is being poisoned by marrying it to the Republican agenda.  In many churches (not mine, fortunately) you can't question Republicanism.  It's sickening. 
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 02:20:47 PM »

that's why there's a difference between civil marriage and religious marriage.

If marriage were simply a contract between two people, I would agree with you.  But even civil marriage doesn't just involve two people.  It is a social contract between those two people and society.  I am part of society.  I don't care what two people do privately, but I do care when I am asked to assent to their behavior and uphold their union.

If the people decide to make same sex marriage legal, so be it.  But if the decision comes down to me, and I'm asked to take an action for or against, I am going to vote for keeping marriage as it is today.  It goes against my beliefs to do otherwise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies