Hurricane Irene's Affect on the Economy? Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hurricane Irene's Affect on the Economy? Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hurricane Irene's Affect on the Economy? Obama?  (Read 2868 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
« edited: August 25, 2011, 10:45:15 AM by Mitt Romney's Hair »

With it looking increasingly likely to hit North Carolina, and strongly impact the likes of Washington DC (I'll be stocking up on beer and batteries tomorrow!), Philadelphia, and NYC what affect do you think this will have on the economy and Obama's approval rating?

And before anyone suggests it - no, I do not wish to see people suffer in order for Obama's rating to dip. However, this hurricane will surely have an affect on the US politically and economically, hence the thread.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »

A Republican president would have launched a preemptive attack to prevent this from even happening.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »

They will blame the gays again. We need keep our weather controlling superpowers more secret next time.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:01:50 PM »

They will blame the gays again. We need keep our weather controlling superpowers more secret next time.

Well you're hair will still be marvelous, in spite of 100mph winds Wink
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »

The Tea Party office holders will reject federal aid . . . right?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »

Depends on how he handles it should the aftermath god forbid be as severe as some are predicting. I think the President has made a good move over the past couple of days by warning publicly about the dangers of this coming storm.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »

It's going to rain...in DC and maybe even....NYC! God help us!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

Can't help but notice that, in the past 30 years at least, hurricanes do not occur when Democrats control the Presidency and both chambers of Congress. So Americans who know what's good for them will heed God's command and vote Democratic. Couldn't resist.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »

Unfortunately for those wishing to test this thesis, none of the Governors of any of the likely to be affected states are Tea Partiers. Maybe McDonnell in Virginia comes closest, but he's clearly fine with being subsidized by the federal government, and Virginia won't be hit that hard anyway.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »

Too soon to tell; hopefully, both Obama and the respective state governments have learned from previous natural disasters (if Hurricane Irene becames that serious).
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »

Unfortunately for those wishing to test this thesis, none of the Governors of any of the likely to be affected states are Tea Partiers. Maybe McDonnell in Virginia comes closest, but he's clearly fine with being subsidized by the federal government, and Virginia won't be hit that hard anyway.

I was referring more to congress members. I suppose I should have used "condemn federal funding," rather than "reject."

Either way, I'd prefer not to find out.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »

As it happens, after Tuesday's earthquake hit his own district, Eric Cantor said that if federal aid was to be allocated, he'd look to offset it somewhere else in the federal budget.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/eric_cantor_would_offset_earthquake_aid-208313-1.html?pos=hbtxt
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »

Wouldn't the logical solution be to set aside an decent amount, say, $10 billion each year for such things? Surpluses would be rolled over, and if the amount aid required exceed that amount, then cuts in predetermined areas (say, art mobiles or modernization funding)  would be made? Much smarter than saying "WE HAVE TO CUT SPENDING!? LET'S ELIMINATE HEAD START!!!" or the like.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

Wouldn't the logical solution be to set aside an decent amount, say, $10 billion each year for such things? Surpluses would be rolled over, and if the amount aid required exceed that amount, then cuts in predetermined areas (say, art mobiles or modernization funding)  would be made? Much smarter than saying "WE HAVE TO CUT SPENDING!? LET'S ELIMINATE HEAD START!!!" or the like.

Head Start is a proven wasteful boondoogle.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2081778,00.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »

I was referring more to congress members. I suppose I should have used "condemn federal funding," rather than "reject."

Either way, I'd prefer not to find out.

With all due respect to my dear friend, this logic has never really made sense. Aside from the Ron Paul's of the world, those with a more skeptical view of government spending do not condemn federal funding especially for emergencies. If anything, this is exactly what many of us think we should focus on when it comes to spending. This is when it is necessary (along with other areas, of course, but this should be one of the top priorities).
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »

Not yet over, but it seems Obama is trying very hard to avoid Bush's mistakes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »

Not yet over, but it seems Obama is trying very hard to avoid Bush's mistakes.

Bush did very well with hurricanes when it was his re-election on the line. He handed out money in Florida in 2004 to whomever wanted it, no questions asked. He didn't need the votes in New Orleans in 2005.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies