Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:01:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ... swing the race more towards Clinton or Trump?
Clinton

Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 158

Author Topic: Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida...  (Read 11201 times)
Mallow
United States

« on: June 12, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »

Did he buy his gun legally since then?

Considering the shooter's father says an incident a couple months ago may have been the catalyst, it's certainly plausible.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »

Well, I think then that maybe Hillary will be able to capitalize on this if she brings Trump's response into the open/MSM and fiercely champions gay rights, linking her words directly to the tragedy.

This was a safe space for gay people because they've been pushed out of so many other places. The parents of young gay men may just be finding out from this horrible night that their sons are gay. We have friends of these people wanting to donate blood who can't, based on a medieval policy. We have religious fundamentalism preaching hatred to the point that people compel themselves to go out and massacre gays. It's horrible, and if she goes hard on this issue and champions something like the blood issue, which a lot of people might not have talked about otherwise, she could curry favour... Especially with some of the Sanders folks who are still hesitant because her record on LGBT right is supposedly "worse" than Sanders'.

I certainly hope you're right about this. I'm not going to try to guess, though.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »

Hillary's statement is even worse than Trump's. Partisanship and politicking. Self-centered, vain and disdainful.

The choice between Clinton and Trump is easy. Hillary does not have a grain of humanity.

You were prepared to say this no matter what Clinton says. Of course, Clinton didn't say that. Re-read the post you just faux-outraged at.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »

Some of you guys are overthinking this.

To the typical "swing voter/undecided voter", this will be: "Wow, he's a Muslim! Muslims are bad! I knew it! TRUMP 2016!"

Obviously the left is going to spin it into homophobia or guns or wanting a steady hand as commander in chief, but nobody is insinuating Trump is going to win over the left.
"Spin this into homophobia"?  

This was homophobic bigotry at the extreme, plain and simple.  

The guy pledged allegiance to ISIS prior to the shooting and had connections with a suicide bomber, so clearly it goes deeper than just homophobia.

He specifically targeted a gay nightclub. And he made statements to his father about homosexuals several months ago. While it's obviously Islamic-extremism-related, it's also obviously homophobia-related. No spin necessary, and no need to sugar-coat things.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »

You're preaching to the choir here. My point was the homophobia/guns is what the left will focus on, and the Muslim/Islamic terrorism side is what the right will focus on.

I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath to see which side "the undecided voters" fall on.

Obviously, but the word "spin" connotes some lack of honesty or factual basis.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »

Some of you guys are overthinking this.

To the typical "swing voter/undecided voter", this will be: "Wow, he's a Muslim! Muslims are bad! I knew it! TRUMP 2016!"

Obviously the left is going to spin it into homophobia or guns or wanting a steady hand as commander in chief, but nobody is insinuating Trump is going to win over the left.
"Spin this into homophobia"?  

This was homophobic bigotry at the extreme, plain and simple.  

The guy pledged allegiance to ISIS prior to the shooting and had connections with a suicide bomber, so clearly it goes deeper than just homophobia.

He specifically targeted a gay nightclub. And he made statements to his father about homosexuals several months ago. While it's obviously Islamic-extremism-related, it's also obviously homophobia-related. No spin necessary, and no need to sugar-coat things.

You're preaching to the choir here. My point was the homophobia/guns is what the left will focus on, and the Muslim/Islamic terrorism side is what the right will focus on.

I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath to see which side "the undecided voters" fall on.

If I may add, not the entire left, just the irredeemable left wing partisan hacks. The people with integrity will not focus on that.

So you're suggesting people with integrity will conveniently ignore that this was clearly an act of homophobia? I have some choice words for you, but they would get me banned.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »

Of course not, but they will not try to spin it as such, since it is pretty obvious the most important contributing factor was Islamic radicalism of the mass killer.

They will certainly not ask for weapons ban over this.

Your definitions of "pretty obvious" and "integrity" both clearly differ from my own.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2016, 08:17:55 PM by Mallow »

Yeah, because more gun laws would have done anything to fix this. Until today, the guy was allegedly in good standing and had a permit to carry as a security guard. G4S security is a British company that also has a contract to move illegal aliens when they are caught at the border to their final resettlement places awaiting trial, etc.

I am not sure what this lovely person was doing for them, but he had been interviewed by the FBI on at least three occasions.

Sourcing: Palm Beach Post.

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/fort-pierce-apartment-building-evacuated-has-ties-/nrfFf/

2:12 P.M. Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw confirms earlier reports that Orlando shooter held valid firearm permit.

1:56 P.M. The global security firm G4S, with offices in Jupiter, has confirmed that Orlando shooter Omar Mateen has worked for the company since 2007. Statement from G4S:
“We are shocked and saddened by the tragic event that occurred at the Orlando nightclub. We can confirm that Omar Mateen had been employed with G4S since September 10, 2007. We are cooperating fully with all law enforcement authorities, including the FBI, as they conduct their investigation. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the friends, families and people affected by this unspeakable tragedy.”

Related: More about G4S

1:28 p.m.: State records show a man named Omar Mateen is licensed as a security guard and also holds a firearms license. G4S, a global security firm with an office in Jupiter, listed an employee named Omar Mateen in a newsletter posted online. The company has not responded to requests to confirm whether its employee is the Orlando shooter.

The Republicans recently rejected a proposed law that would ban anyone on a suspected terrorist list from purchasing firearms. This man was on such a list. So, yes, absolutely, "more gun laws would have done [something] to fix this."
Try again. Your narrative fails. I am pretty sure if he were on a watch list, his job with a company that holds a Federal contract would be in jeopardy. He was questioned twice by the FBI, but the claims of ties to radical jihadists were considered to be unsubstantiated.

"Despite being on the FBI's radar, Manteen, who worked as a security guard, was not on an official terrorism watch list and was able to legally hold a state firearms licence, according to Florida records."

Sourcing: BBC
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36513468

I had deleted my post well before you responded, because my facts weren't 100% accurate.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:39 PM »

...I never thought I'd see the day that I entirely agree with something Sanders said...

I don't understand this. This is the position of every major Democratic politician. Nobody supports ISIS. What's surprising about this?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »

...I never thought I'd see the day that I entirely agree with something Sanders said...

I don't understand this. This is the position of every major Democratic politician. Nobody supports ISIS. What's surprising about this?

He actually phrased it in harsh, truthful terms unlike the usual PC democratic politicians.  

The reason many Democratic politicians don't phrase it as "harshly" as you want them to is the same reason many Republican politicians will intentionally omit any mention of the LGBT aspect of this tragedy.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »

Wow, respect for Bernie.  I wish Hillary has the cajones to stand up to radical Islam as well. I'm still waiting for her to give a real response to this.

I imagine we'll find out tomorrow.

Don't worry, when she does, those who are currently accusing her of being "too soft" or "too PC" will be nowhere to be found. They'd never admit that they agree with HER.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 10:58:21 PM »

And yet his plan to do this somehow doesn't involve boots on the ground, weapons sales to other groups, allowing the Assad regime to remain in tact, a no-fly zone, just letting Russia do it...

I could go on.
The people complaining about "PC culture" care more about using the right words than doing anything about the problem. They have become exactly what they oppose.

The hypocrisy is palpable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies