Edwards rejects VP slot? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:36:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Edwards rejects VP slot? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Edwards rejects VP slot?  (Read 7789 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 28, 2004, 01:42:13 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/01/28/politics0813EST0501.DTL&type=printable

Presidential candidate John Edwards on Wednesday rejected any notion of sharing the Democratic ticket with front-running rival John Kerry -- unless he is at the top.

Asked on NBC's "Today" show if he would accept second place on the Democratic slate to face President Bush in the fall election, Edwards said: "I think you've got the order reversed. I intend to be the nominee."

Edwards said he would not be willing to be No. 2. "No, no. Final. I don't want to be vice president. I'm running for president," he said.

---

Never thought Edwards would be a good pick for VP.  Kerry, if nominated, needs to look for a running mate from Ohio.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 02:37:08 PM »

Yeah, the Dems had gotten smart and had left the gun issue alone, now it is back with Kerry.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:42:22 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2004, 04:43:33 PM by jmfcst »

If Edwards has to drop out he would most likely take the VP spot.

Edwards would've been defeated for reelection to the Senate.  He brings NOTHING, not one single state, to Kerry.

All of these candidates know that either Hillary or Gore is going to be the nominee in 2008.  Accepting a VP slot does nothing for Edwards.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:50:32 PM »

Do you think Gore could win in 2008?  I don't.

Edwards would have been in a close race for senate re-election, you can't definitely say that he would have lost it.

I think it will be Hillary, but if she doesn't run, Gore could probably take it.

Edwards would have been the underdog, and it is very doubtful he could deliver NC to Kerry.  Clark would have a better chance with Arkansas if Kerry chooses him.

Bush will lose at most one Southern state in a 50/50 election, and Bush will only lose one if Kerry has a Southern on the ticket.  Trying to win Ark with Clark or NC with Edwards is not worth the risk.  IMO

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 05:26:46 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2004, 05:27:25 PM by jmfcst »

I don't see how LA, Ark, or FL would care about a VP from NC.  
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 05:45:41 PM »

Breaux voted for all the Bush tax cuts, I can't see him as Kerry's VP (Edwards can't win the nomination, so a Edwards/Breaux ticket is out of the question).  

Breaux could be Bush if he were at the top of the ticket...but the Dems who could beat Bush aren't running.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies