What kind of sports tournment do you prefer: round-robin or playoff format?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:09:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What kind of sports tournment do you prefer: round-robin or playoff format?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What kind of sports tournment do you prefer: round-robin or playoff format?  (Read 632 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

Round-Robin format is used in European and South American national soccer leagues.

Playoff format is used in soccer international competitions, tennis and in American sports leagues.

Round-Robin format is considered "fair". Playoff format is considered "exciting".
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:58 PM »

Round-robin when feasible.

For something like college football (128 teams playing a 12-game schedule), you've got to go with a playoff.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »

both at the same time, like they do in european leagues.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »

Playoffs are an abomination, particularly for college football.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »

In each European country, there are two soccer tournments. The national league has only 20 teams and uses the round-Robin format. It is the most importante tournment. Only the richest teams have enough money to pay high wages, have the best players and win the league. The national cup has many more teams and uses the playoff format. Poorer teams win these cups sometimes. They are not as importante as the leagues.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »

Playoffs are an abomination, particularly for college football.

Yeah, this season would have been so much better if Alabama and Florida State were gifted a bid to the championship game while rightful champion Ohio State just played in the Rose Bowl for funzies.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:53:30 PM »

Oh, no, I disagree entirely! Obviously Alabama and Florida State should not have been in the championship game, since there should be no such thing. I can think of no higher honor than to play for the Rose Bowl. I would sooner Stanford, my childhood team, win a single Rose Bowl than a thousand mythical national championships.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »

In each European country, there are two soccer tournments. The national league has only 20 teams and uses the round-Robin format. It is the most importante tournment. Only the richest teams have enough money to pay high wages, have the best players and win the league. The national cup has many more teams and uses the playoff format. Poorer teams win these cups sometimes. They are not as importante as the leagues.

Er, yes, I'm aware of how European football works.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »

Oh, no, I disagree entirely! Obviously Alabama and Florida State should not have been in the championship game, since there should be no such thing. I can think of no higher honor than to play for the Rose Bowl. I would sooner Stanford, my childhood team, win a single Rose Bowl than a thousand mythical national championships.

I have advocated for the Rose Bowl to be the CFP Championship Game every year. That way, every one has an equal opportunity for that honor, not just the Big 10/Pac 12 teams. Then you (and I) could have both.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies