California 1st state to ban gay conversion therapies for teens (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:57:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California 1st state to ban gay conversion therapies for teens (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California 1st state to ban gay conversion therapies for teens  (Read 842 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: October 01, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

How do they are enforce this? Are they going to listen in on therapy sessions?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »

How dó you enforce laws against child abuse?

Well, first someone in the community may report on what they see, observe or suspect, which then triggers an investigation by an overloaded social services department. Normal due process may be suspended, and the child may be taken away and put into foster care or group homes, where they are further abused and neglected at high rates.  I'm not sure how that answers my question. Are you suggesting this as a model?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2012, 09:38:07 AM by shua, gm »

How dó you enforce laws against child abuse?

Well, first someone in the community may report on what they see, observe or suspect, which then triggers an investigation by an overloaded social services department. Normal due process may be suspended, and the child may be taken away and put into foster care or group homes, where they are further abused and neglected at high rates.  I'm not sure how that answers my question. Are you suggesting this as a model?

I'm tired, so I'm just going to bad rather than spending the next hour explaining what a misthought post this is.

No problem. If you feel like it later, maybe you can help me with my question.

Edit:  sorry ingemann if I was too aggressive in my reply since you were probably just asking an honest question.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 01:57:54 AM by shua, gm »

Absolutely there are plenty of good, generous, kind, dedicated people who are foster parents or work in children's welfare in one way or another - I know these people.  They would be the first to say that the system is fundamentally flawed even while there are successes as well.

Yes, I was making a diatribe.  I was focusing on the negative aspect in order to try to make a point, which is the severe consequences that can occur when something is unnecessarily defined as abuse.  For example, I'm against children being subjected to corporal punishment.  But to treat minor instances of that as abuse is going to be end up being more harmful to the child than the corporal punishment itself.  I know this isn't quite the same thing, but this is where I'm coming from in terms of caution towards legislating something as "abuse."  Some instances of gay change techniques can qualify as abuse, but to define it generally as such seems excessive and not especially helpful either.

I looked into the details of this law. The enforcement mechanism seems to be through suit:
SB1172
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The original version of the bill was awful in terms of patient/therapist confidentiality, and so was opposed by the California Psychological Association. This is much more reasonable, and the CPA supported it with some reservations.  
Only licensed mental health practitioners are affected by this law (people can still look for less credentialed places to do this).  I tend to think that the law should focus on those who actively promote sex orientation change.  If a teen comes to a therapist of his own free will and says he wants to try to change, maybe that should be allowed.  The important thing is that the therapy is sensitive and does not degrade him for who he is.  The good thing about this law is that (I think) if a patient or their family doesn't feel like there has been damage, there's no penalty. Still, it could make a therapist a little nervous since there's always a chance for therapy to be misinterpreted or not turn out as planned.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies