Why Obama lost the debate (Doug Henwood) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:53:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Obama lost the debate (Doug Henwood) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Obama lost the debate (Doug Henwood)  (Read 1505 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: October 07, 2012, 01:30:10 AM »

Gully, this commentary is pish.  Oh boy let's cherry pick some pop psychology and project my displeasure with the Democrats through it. The very same arguments he makes about voting base and donor base can equally and even more so be said about the GOP. i.e. theocrats v. corporate interests.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »

The psychobabble is a little dispiriting. Still, the bit about the Democrats being a party of capital who sort-of have to pretend not to be is basically true, and yes that issue probably does explain some of the problems with communication that party figures sometimes have. Not sure if it really explains Obama's battery powered corpse act though.

One of the most annoying things that I found about the psychobabble is that it doesn't even seem to come from a good place. He is basically saying Obama is some noveau riche, Jay Gatsby figure who desperately wants to be accepted by the old money types.  Who knows, maybe this is what helped his Yale cohorts boost their self esteem back in the day. 'They want to be us'.  It implies further that the  people who really can make a difference to 'fight the power' come from this class, in this case FDR.  Similar, unmerited, themes are used for civil rights too; i.e., that it took a Southern racist like Johnson to get passed etc. etc.

I agree with his analysis about the party. And I think you can find plenty of cases of massive contradictions and hypocrisy. Alas, this is the fundamental flaw of our cherished two party system.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies