West Virginia Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:42:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  West Virginia Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: West Virginia Megathread  (Read 23188 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »
« edited: November 16, 2013, 01:13:30 AM by Speaker Scott »

I thought coal was no longer a major commodity in West Virginia?  Why is this going to be an issue?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »

FWIW, this was the swing in WV-03 between the 2010 and 2012 Congressional races.

The result in Lincoln County was exactly the same (to the hundredth of a decimal place); it must have been a statistical fluke.

Mason County was added after redistricting.

Rahall still managed to win Wyoming County despite it being 76% Romney. I wouldn't be surprised if thats some sort of a record.

I don't know if its good or bad that Rahall improved slightly in the area where Jenkins is from.

A record for the modern era more likely then of all time. Ticket splitting was more common back in the day.

I would assume the answer would differ based on whether Jenkins is loved or hated in that area.
illegaloperation

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »

I thought coal was no longer a major commodity in West Virginia?  Why is this going to be an issue?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

http://www.friendsofcoal.org/
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »

Rahall taking a page out of Landrieu's book:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2013, 01:52:05 PM »

Roll Call agrees with me that CD2 is better for Democrats than CD1.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »

Eh, all the districts are much of muchness at a generic level these days. The best shot would be whichever had the strongest candidate.
enrico maxwell
Rookie
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »

My prediction, Capito wins the nom regardless. She probably wins the whole election too.

agreed
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

haha we are so f'd here it

bloodbath is going to be insane
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

Delegate Ryan Ferns (Ohio County) is changing parties to run for a State Senate seat this cycle. This narrows Democratic control of the House of Delegates to 53-47.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »

RRH said he has drunk driving convictions and was asked to leave the Dem caucus anyways, so meh. If he's sobered up then redemption and all that.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

Yeah, I think they said this wasn't as great news for Rs as it seems.
Yogi
Rookie

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »

Cool, there's a thread for West Virginia Cheesy I'll just give my opinion quickly. I support Moore-Capito for Senate, McKinley for WV-01, Jenkins for WV-03, and I'm undecided in WV-02 for now.

Shelley is a great person and candidate for WV, and despite her Pro-Choice stance, I agree with her on most issues. I think only she could beat Tennant. I think she will beat out Pat McGeeghan (nice enough guy, but should've stayed in the House of the Delegates and built up his resume).

Rep. McKinley is possibly endangered. WV's longtime State Auditor, Glen Gainer is the Dem's guy. Gainer has corruption/ethics issues but he may still put up a strong fight.

I don't know much about the WV-02, but I am leaning towards Charlotte Lane who the Establishment seems to like. I dislike Alex Mooney though. He's only been living in WV for a small amount of time. He carpetbagged from Maryland. If Mooney is the nominee, I can definitely see Nick Casey (D) winning with like 52%.

I think Evan Jenkins has a shot of winning in WV-03, but it won't be easy. Rahall has been around forever.

I'm an establishment conservative (and registered Republican) but I have an I-WV to protest certain Tea Party people in my party.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »

Welcome to the forum. We're a bit left-leaning, but you're not a hack or a troll, so you'll fit in well with us.
Yogi
Rookie

« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »

Thanks! Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2013, 01:12:18 AM »

I'm an establishment conservative (and registered Republican) but I have an I-WV to protest certain Tea Party people in my party.

While I understand, I oftentimes find myself just as angered at the establishment as I am at the grassroots. Of course, I became political in 2005, when it was the excesses of establishement power and corruption that was destroying the Party so that is not surprising. 

Welcome to the Forum just the same. Smiley
Yogi
Rookie

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »

While I understand, I oftentimes find myself just as angered at the establishment as I am at the grassroots. Of course, I became political in 2005, when it was the excesses of establishement power and corruption that was destroying the Party so that is not surprising. 

Thank you Smiley and I get what you're saying. The establishment is far from perfect. I like figures from both sides of the party and dislike figures from both sides of the party.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2013, 01:21:23 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Thank you Smiley and I get what you're saying. The establishment is far from perfect. I like figures from both sides of the party and dislike figures from both sides of the party.

Most definately. I generally sported a mixed bag of establishement and Tea Party candidates in both 2010 and 2012.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2013, 03:57:01 PM »

The Chamber of Commerce dropped $400K for buys between Capito and Jenkins.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »

Article on the Senate race.

The essence of the article is that, basically, in case ya'll didn't pick up on it, Capito is favored.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2013, 01:58:42 AM »

The essence of the article is that, basically, in case ya'll didn't pick up on it, Capito is favored.
That's obvious with the state's huge Obama hatred and Capito's big 17 point lead there, but the "Manchin Effect" could possibly repeat itself if the timings right. Tennant already got his endorsement and seems to be using the same strategy that Manchin used in 2010. Now while the national tide might favor Tennant more than it did in the year Manchin was elected, the problem is the presumptive GOP nominee isn't crazy like Raese was. The race still heavily favors Capito, but I think Tennant could possibly recover from this if she avoids connecting herself Obama at all costs and tries connecting Congresswoman Capito to the dysfunction happening in DC.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2013, 02:40:28 AM »

That's obvious with the state's huge Obama hatred and Capito's big 17 point lead there, but the "Manchin Effect" could possibly repeat itself if the timings right. Tennant already got his endorsement and seems to be using the same strategy that Manchin used in 2010. Now while the national tide might favor Tennant more than it did in the year Manchin was elected, the problem is the presumptive GOP nominee isn't crazy like Raese was. The race still heavily favors Capito, but I think Tennant could possibly recover from this if she avoids connecting herself Obama at all costs and tries connecting Congresswoman Capito to the dysfunction happening in DC.

Tennant also has a much lower profile than Manchin, and is most likely less popular than he was IIRC in 2010.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »

Former WV SoS Helen Holt (R), the first woman to hold the position, crosses over to endorse Tennant.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »

Former WV SoS Helen Holt (R), the first woman to hold the position, crosses over to endorse Tennant.
She is still alive??
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »

Age 100! And her son is Rep. Holt from New Jersey, so it shouldn't be particularly surprising she supports Democrats nowadays.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies