Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:35:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 223464 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: February 23, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »

RFayette, I have placed you on ignore because Satan has gotten a hold of you.  What do I do with Satan?  Ignore him.

I think a more appropriate twist here would be for Bushie himself to be Satan. After all, who else would work so tirelessly to twist religion for his own gain? Who else would take great, well-meaning Christian helpers like J-Mann and wear them down to the point he has?

Reminds me of a certain X-Files episode.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #926 on: February 23, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »

Is this idea that any old soul in Heaven is 'in charge of' helping run the place an Evangelical thing? I mean, I know about patron saints, obviously, but that doesn't seem to be the sort of function that Bushie is anticipating for himself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #927 on: February 23, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »

Is this idea that any old soul in Heaven is 'in charge of' helping run the place an Evangelical thing? I mean, I know about patron saints, obviously, but that doesn't seem to be the sort of function that Bushie is anticipating for himself.

I really have no idea how it's going to play out.  The Bible withholds a lot of information on what heaven will be like.  That's by design so as to make it even more enjoyable than what it will be.  I suppose it is an evangelical thing, maybe just a Baptist thing.  It is something I've heard my entire life at church.  I, along with every believer, can dream all we want to about heaven and are encouraged to do so, but we just absolutely won't know for sure until we get there.  There are no words in our vocabulary to describe how awesome it's going to be.  Anything we say here on earth is just speculation, wishful-thinking, and dreaming.  All I know is it will be so much better than anything we can dream up.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #928 on: February 23, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »

It must be so wonderful to live a life free of existential dread, like Bushie does. If only my parents had brainwashed me from an early age. Sad
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #929 on: February 23, 2015, 08:30:02 PM »

Bushie "being put in charge of some things" is likely in the Book of Revelations. Him being in charge of anything in Heaven has to be a part of God's plan to send Heaven crashing down into Earth and destroying the universe in a swift action.

Perhaps his death is the 7th trumpet?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #930 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »

Perhaps his death is the 7th trumpet?

Well considering that the RACE TO 300 is back on, his prediction that the apocalypse is happening in 6-7 years makes a lot more sense now.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #931 on: February 23, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »

It must be so wonderful to live a life free of existential dread, like Bushie does. If only my parents had brainwashed me from an early age. Sad

It really must be incredible.  At the young age of 14 I was already grappling with my mortality and the strange nature of reality itself.  I don't have regrets, but being a teenager would've been so much easier with all this certainty.  
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #932 on: February 23, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »

Bushie, your answer to my question brings up another thing I've been legitimately, honestly curious about for a while now. What does Evangelical theology do with ideas like beatific vision?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #933 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »

wait wait wait...

what exactly is Jesus going to put Bushie in charge of once he's in Heaven?!

heaven help desk

Heaven help us. Get ready for an eternity without WiFi because Bushie's fat fingers can't reach the reset button on the back of the router.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #934 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »

Is there anything finer than having a flashback memory of great old Bushie post and then finding it and reading it and having a good ol' chuckle again?

Like his plan to take his new girlfriend on a date to go see the G-rated kids film Fly Me to the Moon. Sexy.

My girlfriend and I are going on a double date this Friday to see Fly Me to the Moon.  Its just a simple animated G-rated movie (something my generation won't even touch), only 95 minutes long, but we're looking forward to it.  Its in Dolby-Digital 3D.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #935 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »

wait wait wait...

what exactly is Jesus going to put Bushie in charge of once he's in Heaven?!

heaven help desk

It's about time somebody was put in charge of actually responding to all those prayers!  It might as well be a guy with Tourette's.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #936 on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

Is there anything finer than having a flashback memory of great old Bushie post and then finding it and reading it and having a good ol' chuckle again?

Like his plan to take his new girlfriend on a date to go see the G-rated kids film Fly Me to the Moon. Sexy.

My girlfriend and I are going on a double date this Friday to see Fly Me to the Moon.  Its just a simple animated G-rated movie (something my generation won't even touch), only 95 minutes long, but we're looking forward to it.  Its in Dolby-Digital 3D.

jesus
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #937 on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

I can never do a single thing again to lose my salvation.  Once He saved me, I cannot EVER lose my salvation no matter what I do. 

OK, so you're saved because you accepted Jesus?  What if you subsequently renounced Him?  Would you then lose your salvation?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #938 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »

I really have no idea how it's going to play out.  The Bible withholds yya lot of information on what heaven will be like.  That's by design so as to make it even more enjoyable than what it will be.  I suppose it is an evangelical thing, maybe just a Baptist thing.  It is something I've heard my entire life at church.  I, along with every believer, can dream all we want to about heaven and are encouraged to do so, but we just absolutely won't know for sure until we get there.  There are no words in our vocabulary to describe how awesome it's going to be.  Anything we say here on earth is just speculation, wishful-thinking, and dreaming.  All I know is it will be so much better than anything we can dream up.

That's good news. At 300 pounds you will be there before all of us. Enjoy!!
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #939 on: February 23, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »

so, bushie, planning on moving back into the family trailer next month?

It depends if I find a job here in Tulsa within the next 3-4 weeks.
I'll put the odds of you finding a job at 10%. Considering you can't even stand to have an interview with a temperature in the mid 30s w/ flurries (the sort of weather that would be considered quite nice up where I live during this time of year), I'm not optimistic at all.

Funny you should say that, because it snowed at least 2-3" in both OKC and Tulsa today with temperatures in the lower 20's.  That's not a lot to folks in the North and Northeast United States, but it is significant for Oklahoma.  Roads were snow packed in OKC where they had a little more snow.  The snow has moved out now and skies should clear overnight so we'll have sunshine and temps in the high 30's to low 40's tomorrow.  I do have an interview in OKC at 1400 tomorrow so I will be getting out and driving 4-5 hours roundtrip on the melting roads.  I anticipate mostly dry or maybe wet roads, so I don't anticipate trouble, but the grass will be nice and white.

I've spoken with 5 different people I know who currently live in Oklahoma. Funny enough, 2 are in El Reno, and 3 in Tulsa. They all verified,  2-3 inches is NOT significant for Oklahoma.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #940 on: February 23, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »

My girlfriend and I are going on a double date this Friday to see Fly Me to the Moon.  Its just a simple animated G-rated movie (something my generation won't even touch), only 95 minutes long, but we're looking forward to it.  Its in Dolby-Digital 3D.

jesus

OMG you Okie Christians are SO GOD DAMN LAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE!  You are so lame that it actually abecomes inappropriate.  You are so lame it gives me a headache.  How do you live like this?  How do four adults go to a theater and watch a movie made for toddlers?  Did they say "poop" in Toy Story and hurt your little angelic feelings?

I feel like I have to drive out there and dose all you people with Molly for ***** sake!  Grow up!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #941 on: February 23, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »

I really have no idea how it's going to play out.  The Bible withholds a lot of information on what heaven will be like.  That's by design so as to make it even more enjoyable than what it will be.  I suppose it is an evangelical thing, maybe just a Baptist thing.  It is something I've heard my entire life at church.  I, along with every believer, can dream all we want to about heaven and are encouraged to do so, but we just absolutely won't know for sure until we get there.  There are no words in our vocabulary to describe how awesome it's going to be.  Anything we say here on earth is just speculation, wishful-thinking, and dreaming.  All I know is it will be so much better than anything we can dream up.

So, would you be open to the concept that a Heaven is nothing like you've previously imagined? Like, your consciousness becomes a part of every atom in the universe and you experience everything at once?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #942 on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:58 PM »

jesus

I don't even remember my theater carrying that kiddie movie.

19% on Rotten Tomatoes btw. lol.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fly_me_to_the_moon/
Panda Express

« Reply #943 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »

Nothing is more romantic than dinner at Burger King followed by Fly Me To The Moon.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #944 on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2015, 09:54:02 PM by SMilo »

My girlfriend and I are going on a double date this Friday to see Fly Me to the Moon.  Its just a simple animated G-rated movie (something my generation won't even touch), only 95 minutes long, but we're looking forward to it.  Its in Dolby-Digital 3D.

Is that the same one where he had to be convinced to upgrade the 2nd date from McDonald's to IHOP? That's one of my favorite Update moments. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Judging by the date, I think it just might be. Actually, that's pre-Update Sad But it just goes to show his type.

Our very own version of "The Susie". The parallels to Seinfeld are uncanny. That's how you know this is legit.

Found the quote. Even funnier in hindsight.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #945 on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:11 PM »

I miss Lunar. Cry
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #946 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:37 PM »

The Bible withholds a lot of information on what heaven will be like.

that's because early Christians, and thus the NT writers, did not see "going to Heaven" as the crucial revelation of Jesus Christ.  they believed that Christ came to redeem God's creation, not to provide a gateway out of it.  

the key 'afterlife' belief of the early Christians was that all followers of Christ would be resurrected from the dead as He had. Heaven and Earth would be joined in a redeemed Creation/Kingdom of God.  Jesus' last words in Acts are to go ahead and start building the Kingdom now, here on Earth, NOT to look forward to escaping it.

the Heaven/Hell duality, where one set of disembodied souls go to the good place and the bad ones go to the bad place, is an invention of the Western church.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #947 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »

that's because early Christians, and thus the NT writers, did not see "going to Heaven" as the crucial revelation of Jesus Christ.  they believed that Christ came to redeem God's creation, not to provide a gateway out of it.  

the key 'afterlife' belief of the early Christians was that all followers of Christ would be resurrected from the dead as He had. Heaven and Earth would be joined in a redeemed Creation/Kingdom of God.  Jesus' last words in Acts are to go ahead and start building the Kingdom now, here on Earth, NOT to look forward to escaping it.

the Heaven/Hell duality, where one set of disembodied souls go to the good place and the bad ones go to the bad place, is an invention of the Western church.

It appears Satan has you, too, tweed. Off to ignore!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #948 on: February 23, 2015, 10:36:53 PM »

jesus

http://youtu.be/wMf8PrNJajM

no seriously wtf
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #949 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »

that's because early Christians, and thus the NT writers, did not see "going to Heaven" as the crucial revelation of Jesus Christ.  they believed that Christ came to redeem God's creation, not to provide a gateway out of it. 

the key 'afterlife' belief of the early Christians was that all followers of Christ would be resurrected from the dead as He had. Heaven and Earth would be joined in a redeemed Creation/Kingdom of God.  Jesus' last words in Acts are to go ahead and start building the Kingdom now, here on Earth, NOT to look forward to escaping it.

That's a very plausible scenario.  The fact remains is that nobody knows what the afterlife will look like for believers.

1 Corinthians 2:9 sums it up perfectly.  The King James Version says "But as it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him."
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies