CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:36:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect  (Read 7627 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: March 09, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

I did not attend.

But the fact is the "GOP outreach" remains too often condescending and critical rather than offering a viable alternative. I haven't had the time to re-read on Paul Ryan's plan but it might be a step in the right direction, I've heard good things about it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2014, 03:29:35 PM by Simfan34 »

I did not attend.

But the fact is the "GOP outreach" remains too often condescending and critical rather than offering a viable alternative. I haven't had the time to re-read on Paul Ryan's plan but it might be a step in the right direction, I've heard good things about it.

The GOP's problem is that they have almost regressed in terms of the way they view the poor to a mentality more suited to 19th century England. They view poverty as a purely moral issue: poor people are that way because they are morally reprobate (having children out of wedlock and raising them without both parents present; perhaps using drugs like marijuana even though the poor are no more likely to do so than anyone else), lazy (working sub-$10/hr jobs and not "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps"), and irresponsible (because if they didn't buy frivolities like cell phones and televisions, they'd have enough money to retire at 50!).

I was around Latino's for 4.5 years when I was at a job so I understand them.

Please don't even go there, dude. You sound like a GOP pol trying to walk back some ignorant comment he made about Hispanics by talking about how well he treated his landscaper or how he can't be racist because he supposedly has a black friend.
Dude screw you you want to attack me racally with the black friend and the landscaper rhetoric. I will not take that crap from you. You think I am not up on that rhetoric or that response? I am knowledgeable  about that rhetoric. You can take that rhetoric and take it back right at yourself. Just because I am a leaning Republican doesn't make you throwing your rhetoric at me right.

Woah, woah, calm down now.

IndyTexas, there's a bit of truth in your response but the fact is that's probably closer to the truth than the "the white man wants to keep you down!" rhetoric peddled by charlatans like Al Sharpton, and which many people actually believe. It's a cultural matter, and it's an endogenous issue that requires community-based solutions rather than government intervention or a massive push against "white racism".

Is the GOP more interested in demonising the dehumanised "other" for white votes than actually helping end systemic economic and cultural poverty amongst blacks and Hispanics? Sadly, probably so. But do the Democrats offer much more? Not really.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »

'Outreach'... Bah.

Anyway, I thought that it was obvious that a person's lifestyle can have a very great effect upon their ability to climb out of the rat infested sewer of poverty. I mean, whilst they may be big factors, poverty cannot simply be pinned upon bad luck and the nefarious machinations of the 'elites'.

I thought you were cool with the elites?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »

This thread is an inanity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies