Santorum: Parents should run schools (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:32:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum: Parents should run schools (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum: Parents should run schools  (Read 6326 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 20, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
« edited: February 20, 2012, 04:00:55 PM by Nathan »

What Santorum seems to be asking for is already the way public schooling works in Japan (PTAs are some of the most overwhelmingly powerful entities in the entire superstructure of Japanese civilization and in places other than the big cities more often than not run the entire community outright, except when the post office does), and I would defy Santorum to find any public school in Japan that is closer to his ideological specifications than the ones in the United States.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 07:57:42 PM by Nathan »

What Santorum seems to be asking for is already the way public schooling works in Japan (PTAs are some of the most overwhelmingly powerful entities in the entire superstructure of Japanese civilization and in places other than the big cities more often than not run the entire community outright, except when the post office does), and I would defy Santorum to find any public school in Japan that is closer to his ideological specifications than the ones in the United States.

So, how do those school perform relative to American schools?

That depends on one's definition of performance. It's generally considered to be better, but it should be pointed out that the Japanese school system is profoundly, profoundly different to the American one in general. It has much more in common with the (old) British system, including emphasis on a series of entirely nationalized tests, taught by an entirely nationalized faculty and staff. The 'T' in 'PTA' has much more direct ties to government policy than in the United States. That's part of why they're so powerful, since they function as fora for direct interaction between parents and agents of state power in education.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »

For the government to opt for atheism is as much an establishment of religion as the converse.

No. No. No.

Nothing is not something. Likewise, no religion is not a religion.

I find it interesting that this, which is arguable, is your problem with Bob's comment, not the inarguable fact that the government has not 'opted for atheism' in public education.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »

Would someone explain to me what people mean with including religion in school? Do you mean teaching Genesis in biology, history and physic?

That would be one version. Another version would be to include what one hopes would be relatively anodyne courses in world religions and moral systems, which I would be in favor of in almost any developed country other than this one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies