Public Fuel and Power Act of 2014 (Final vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:41:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Fuel and Power Act of 2014 (Final vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Public Fuel and Power Act of 2014 (Final vote)  (Read 16613 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: July 12, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »

Honestly, I think it would be preferable to buy up power companies and  then put them under regional control, if we're going to do this at all. I'm not aware of all the specifics, but I know a few regions have at least debated legislation regarding power plants. To put facilities under federal control, even while consulting regional stakeholders, would really complicate the issue of which level of government can do what regarding energy policy.

Also, if the senate is going to actually peg a price for power, I would suggest pegging a range and letting the regions decide what to charge based on what they think is the best way to budget things.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »

Thanks for making the change, TNF.

That being said (and I mean no disrespect here)... is all this detail really necessary?

I also feel like 1(iii) provides a dangerously idealistic time frame. The government will be spending possibly billions of dollars to acquire nuclear, coal, and natural gas facilities, only to shut them down in 15 years? Plus, if we're keeping prices as low as possible for consumers, it may take longer than 15 years for the revenues to cover a 100% changeover to renewable power. If the solution is to jack prices up so the revenues are sufficient, the burden on consumers may be too big.

I know I'm not a senator, but energy policy seems to fall under the purview of the Department of Internal Affairs, and I don't necessarily want to take on a project with an irresponsible deadline. I mean, it's possible that 2030 is workable, but I don't know for sure. Maybe the GM can help here. I'll try and find some numbers tomorrow myself.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:04:36 PM »

Why should we nationalize our energy industry? Why such animus towards private ownership?

My friends in the Labor Party and I think that energy should be produced and use for and by the people instead of corporations that seek only profit.

Corporations are people. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:17:42 AM »

I think you guys are making big assumptions about where the people stand on this. Plus, there was an option for a modified version, which one can assume would've addressed the logistical hangups with the bill.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »

There is no VP until the VP is confirmed by six or more senators.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:46:06 AM »

Just putting it out there.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

Even if they were able to offer a lower price to consumers?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »

And if we admit that we'd be operating at a loss, we circle back to the previous concern regarding innovation in the energy sector. What drive will there be to invest in R&D for new projects? Where will the money for those investments come from?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »

Of course it will, oakvale. You know the playbook.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies