"Sick Privilege (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:18:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Sick Privilege (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Sick Privilege  (Read 7298 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: January 24, 2015, 08:31:30 PM »

No. Even if it makes no logical sense, they still may have religious reasons for it, and confiscating the kids because of that would interfere with Freedom of Religion. I understand a government that isn't all-powerful is a foreign concept to this forum, but people still have their rights. Children aren't the property of muh guvment, and this very idea that they can force parents to put something in their kid's bodies is sickening.

I agree with you on this point mostly, but I am curious: how do you feel about requiring chemotherapy for child cancer patients when the parents' religious beliefs don't allow so. I feel like the government needs to defend that child's right to live when the parents are impeding that.

Also, I'd be surprised if this has to do with religious reasons - I saw a map the other day that confirmed my suspicion in that Oregon was the national leader in opt-outs and the south mostly lagged behind.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »

Found the map for who's doing this by state. Vermont, Michigan, Oregon, Idaho, and Illinois make your top 5.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »

I didn't really have a point other than to show it really doesn't seem to be getting done for religious reasons. Some can be explained by mistrust of the government (Idaho, Oregon, maybe a little Vermont) and some by the cultural left (Oregon, Vermont, maybe Illinois). I just thought the visual was nice to add to the thread.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

There's just as many in libertarian states. It started as a left-wing movement by elitist whites (one of the leaders was RFK Jr with some Hollywood notables) and the anti-government West took control. However, despite those states being ultra-right wing, the South is the only region of the country stereotyped as ultra-right wing, and they are vehemently against it. I found the Mississippi stats on another site, and they were at less than .1% non-vax.

Outside of Vermont, the liberal East isn't that into it either. It's just the white west coast liberalism joined by the anarchists (and Vermont has to oppose the South I guess). But the left gets the stereotype because they started the trend and California and Oregon are the definition of liberalism in most people's eyes. And Christians aren't into it (except perhaps Mormons, but I doubt that.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies