GM, Chrysler May Face Bankruptcy to Protect U.S. Debt (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:09:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  GM, Chrysler May Face Bankruptcy to Protect U.S. Debt (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GM, Chrysler May Face Bankruptcy to Protect U.S. Debt  (Read 5875 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: February 09, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »

Time to let them go, I think.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »

We still have Ford anyway.  The auto companies don't need bailouts.  They just need to grow a pair and stand up to the UAW.

Or maybe make cars that people want to buy.

^^^^^^^^

precisely.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »

We still have Ford anyway.  The auto companies don't need bailouts.  They just need to grow a pair and stand up to the UAW.

^^^^^^^^

precisely.

The biggest mistake in analysis is believing that American car companies make cars people don't want to buy.  The fact in this economic downturn is that Japanese car companies have gotten killed just as badly as American companies in terms of sales, and in many cases are actually faring worse.

The problem is the "cost structure" of the American car companies, plain and simple.

So why is that then? I mean, foreign cars are usually pretty clearly of higher quality. Do people feel some type of loyalty towards American built cars?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2009, 04:32:56 PM by Attorney General Franzl »

^^^^^^^^

precisely.

The biggest mistake in analysis is believing that American car companies make cars people don't want to buy.  The fact in this economic downturn is that Japanese car companies have gotten killed just as badly as American companies in terms of sales, and in many cases are actually faring worse.

The problem is the "cost structure" of the American car companies, plain and simple.

So why is that then? I mean, foreign cars are usually pretty clearly of higher quality. Do people feel some type of loyalty towards American built cars?

Get rid of the union chokehold, then they could afford to make better cars for the same price.

While the unions obviously contribute to the financial problems of the automakers, I doubt that has much to do with the quality of their products. Look at Germany, and it's not like unions are weak.

And yes, I understand, German vehicles are more expensive....but if you add all things together (especially considering expensive gasoline as there is in Europe), you probably get a better deal by buying them.

One thing that people need, though, is a good public transport system....and that's something many American cities simply don't have.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies