538 Model Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:01:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 84280 times)
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:33 PM »

People appear to be confusing Nate Silver himself and Nate Silver's model. During the primaries, Nate's models were generally bullish on Trump, while Silver himself. . .
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »

It's getting really close in the new now-cast model. Trump is up to a 46% chance to win. (NH goes to Trump. I'm sure nobody is going to whine about that.)

Clinton 274
Trump 264
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:59:15 PM »

And now Nate Silver has everybody's favorite tipping point state odds! The top five (according to polls-only) are:

Florida 15.2%
Pennsylvania 10.9%
Ohio 9.0%
Virginia 7.2%
North Carolina 5.9%

They also have a voter power index. It turns out that voters from Iowa, Nevada, and New Hampshire are very powerful.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »

I am surprised the Nov Polls-only forecast has Trump's chances at 47%.   I would imagine the model takes into account the temporary GOP post-convention bounce.   
It did

It doesn't. Only polls-plus does that.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »

For the first time Trump leads in polls-only forecast 50.1% vs 49.9%. Of course, it's due RNC-bounce, since we don't have any post-DNC polls yet. But still...

That's weird because the now-cast has gone back to a Clinton victory.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

The current Now-Cast map:

Clinton 342
Trump 196
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »

I actually just posted it here to trigger him. Wink
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »

Good for you.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:39 AM »

I wonder how much of a hit Hillary will take today from the Emerson PA/MI/OH polls.

They're a B rated pollster with a sizeable R bias, so I'm not really sure. Maybe she'll lose .5% or something like that.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »

Absolutely astounding that fraudster Nate Silver is making Donald Trump not the biggest conman in this election.

So are you still supporting Trump or not?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »

Absolutely astounding that fraudster Nate Silver is making Donald Trump not the biggest conman in this election.

So are you still supporting Trump or not?
Sarcasm is in the air!

I know every post he makes is a joke (especially if it involves Trump), but I was very entertained by his Trump support.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »

I'm not sure what polls are responsible, but 538's model has Trump still surging.

That's what I'm scratching my head over. I get that he includes all the funky tracking polls, but you'd think more traditional polls would get weighted higher

Even the tracking polls don't show Trump expanding his lead anymore, though. I wish there was a place on the site where you could see a list of the most recent additions to the model forecast.

It's right here: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 03:54:24 PM »

To me the thing that makes the least amount of sense is there have been 3 Florida polls released since yesterday with Clinton up (+1,+5,+5), yet Trump's odds in Florida keep spiking?

If you look at his poll adjustments, one of them is Adjust for trend line, which helps Trump by 2% in Florida. There could be an error which causes a feedback loop, or it could be that the new trend hasn't fully manifested yet, or the model is getting overrun by junk polls.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 05:16:10 PM »

The problem is Florida. Why is Trump still favored, and why did his odds go up today? I know, the trend, but Monmouth last polled it a month ago, so at that point, the statute of limitations for a trend should go out the window. It could've been a lot worse if Monmouth conducted the poll last week.

Also, he just gave Nate Cohn an explanation for adjusting Siena poll to Trump +1. He basicaly says that Siena was D leaning this cycle because their NY polls were strongest for Clinton out of 10 different pollsters.

Silly reasoning. Safe state polling is almost always less accurate than swing states. Are Nate & Co. really basing their 2 point D-house effect on some NY Siena polls? Isn't the methodology of the FL Upshot/Siena poll also completely different?

St Leo University Poll today of Florida had Clinton at +5 when a month ago they had her at +14.

Read the first paragraph of that post and try again.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »

Who said that Nate Silver had turned into a partisan GOP hack now that the FiveThirtyEight model has Clinton as a 75% or better favorite?
Oh discredited fraud Nate Silver is still a paid GOP operative. Even he can't show Trump ahead anymore!

Nate Silver just can't catch a break. Conservatives think he's a liberal hero and liberals think he's a paid GOP operative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies