Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:03:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote  (Read 14491 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2013, 07:42:51 PM by Former Moderate »

Article Here

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sounds like the people are mad that the Colorado state government is taking away their liberty little by little. I would be mad too if this was my state government.

John Morse's Colorado Springs based district is a toss-up. Colorado Springs as a city itself leans republican, but his district is centrally based in the more democratic parts of the city. Angela Giron on the other hand has a Pueblo based district which leans democratic. If I had to guess I would say Morse would narrowly win and Giron would win as well, but both races should be close however.

Last of all, I just want to say this is somewhat like the North Carolina case and their state government, just not as extreme in this case. More or less, I would just send a message to Colorado democrats to not push through bills and regulations that many if not most people don't want, your state isn't California or Rhode Island. And just a message to everybody that one-party rule in swing states does result in bad policies for both sides. Republicans have just been more prone to it lately in North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and whatever other states republicans have control of that aren't at least likely republican states in federal elections. Colorado happens to be a battleground state under almost complete democratic control.

Discuss your opinions below.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »

More or less, I would just send a message to Colorado democrats to not push through bills and regulations that many if not most people don't want, your state isn't California or Rhode Island. And just a message to everybody that one-party rule in swing states does result in bad policies for both sides.

The Quinnipiac poll you mentioned doesn't ask about the gun law specifically. Here's the text:

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way John Hickenlooper is handling - gun policy?"

That says nothing about the individual law. To know what Colorado thinks about the laws, you actually need to ask them about the laws. And hey, here's a Denver Post poll about exactly that.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22411498/poll-gun-legislation-coloradans-views-change-since-september

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My lesson to you is: Don't oppose gun control measures that most Coloradans want.

First of all, the majority of Coloradans do not support gun bans and limitations flat out. In the polls conducted in the Denver paper that you provided, 50% want to protect the right to own, while 45% want to control ownership. Also, 56% want stricter enforcement of existing laws, while just 35% want to pass stricter gun-control laws. Pretty conservative considering 57% of people in the poll don't have guns.

Second, I said many if not most, not most. I wouldn't think that a majority of people approve of gun regulations and laws to limit gun use in a state as purple as Colorado, but I could be wrong. If I missed any details here or am inaccurate here let me know.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »

Anyone have a live link to results? I can't seem to find one anywhere Sad
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

Morse's district should be tight.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »

Giron's District (3)Sad
(25% in)

Yes: 57% (!) No: 43%
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »

State Senate 11 (Morse):

94% In. Yes: 51%, No: 49%. 2 precincts remaining. This is tight.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »

State Senate 11 (Morse):

He conceded. 1 liberal thrashed.

Nice!

Look at this: 44% In. (SS3) = Yes 57%, No 43%. Granted it could be outer GOP precincts coming in earlier but still this is actually very interesting.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »

State Senate 11 (Morse):

He conceded. 1 liberal thrashed.

Nice!

Look at this: 44% In. (SS3) = Yes 57%, No 43%. Granted it could be outer GOP precincts coming in earlier but still this is actually very interesting.

60-40 now.

Holy Sh*t, and this is the leaning D district correct? The other one was more republican?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »

The whole idea of a GOP surge will hit cold water in a couple months when the Dems pick up VA- Gov

There is no idea that the GOP will "surge". These are two very low turnout ballots were there was extraordinary conservative turnout and poor liberal turnout.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »

Final Results for State Senate 11 (Morse): 100% In. 31/31 Precincts.

Yes: 51.0% (9,094) No: 49.0% (8,751)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

Overall, this has been a good night for Colorado Democrats since it will teach them not to swing too far to the left.

Yes, indeed. Same goes for North Carolina republicans who are already looking bad.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »

Overall, this has been a good night for Colorado Democrats since it will teach them not to swing too far to the left.

Yes, indeed. Same goes for North Carolina republicans who are already looking bad.
NC Republicans though, have a guaranteed majority in the GA, an advantage that the Colorado Dems lack. (Although the chances of the Colorado state legislature going R in 2014 is fairly slim due to other reasons).

Oh, I meant political wise, not election wise.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

Let's face it, we're gonna have start making voting mandatory. I mean it.

So, that would mean forcing the uninformed to vote, to make the democrats win. Sounds fair doesn't it?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:13 AM »

Let's face it, we're gonna have start making voting mandatory. I mean it.

So, that would mean forcing the uninformed to vote, to make the democrats win. Sounds fair doesn't it?

Certainly as fair as disallowing the use of the postal vote in this recall election was.

Agreed.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »

Link

Recall effort begins against state Sen. Evie Hudak

Power to the people!

Sen. Hudak won reelection by less than 1% of the vote in 2012, and then a few months ago was widely criticized for a statement insensitive to rape victims ( http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/03/05/colorado-dem-rape-survivor-gun-hearing-statistics-arent-your-side ). Considering turnout and shifts in the CO political atmosphere since November 2012, she should be pretty much dead meat.

If this recall is just like the ones a few weeks ago, then she is dead. However, she looks like she's in a fairly D District, or at least Lean D. You'll have to scroll down a bit to Jefferson County to see Hudak's district (SD 19). But again, we saw what happened to Angela Giron, who was in a Safe D seat.

The other interesting thing about this is that Democrats have the State Senate 18-17 right now (it was 20-15 before the recall). If republicans get this seat, they'll have the control 18-17, which could be interesting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies