Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:17:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 28558 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: December 14, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
« edited: December 14, 2012, 08:11:24 PM by Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon »

Does anyone have the numbers for the number of children killed by guns every year?  I realize I could Google it, but I want actual, unbiased numbers...

The number of children "killed by guns" is zero.  I presume you meant killed WITH guns?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:17:35 PM »

Does anyone have the numbers for the number of children killed by guns every year?  I realize I could Google it, but I want actual, unbiased numbers...

The number of children "killed by guns" is zero.

Oh, what a dazzling display of wit!  Checkmate, hippie scum!  

Its not wit, its rage.  I'm tired of every tragedy being turned into a political circus.

Believe me, there are folks on my side of the aisle who will use the events of this sad day to make guns even more available, put guns in schools, etc.  I'm not looking forward to that either.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

if you made tragedies apolitical there is nothing left.  is war apolitical?  is war not a tragedy?

I just find scoring political points while our country has just started to mourn to be distasteful.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »

I just find scoring political points while our country has just started to mourn to be distasteful.

Like Huckabee blaming this on God not being in the schools?  Conservatives make plenty of political hay out of stuff like this.  It's only when people bring up points they don't like that we're "politicizing a tragedy."  I call BS on the hypocrisy.

As I stated earlier, I am equally upset about the politicization on my side of the aisle.  My twitter timeline at the moment is making me ill, because for some folks the only solution to a problem is to introduce even more guns into the equation.

if you made tragedies apolitical there is nothing left.  is war apolitical?  is war not a tragedy?

Don't kid yourself.  The country is not mourning.  You don't know any of the people affected.  You could, however, be supportive of efforts to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again, right now.  That might be the best way to mourn the murdered children for someone who has no personal stake in the tragedy.

That's absolutely insulting, but I'm not holding it against you because this is a very sensitive issue. 

Attacking Constitutional rights is never a responsible reaction to a tragedy, whether its internment camps, the PATRIOT Act, going to war without purpose, or unreasonable gun control.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »

I support individual gun rights, but there is nothing unreasonable about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.  

I completely agree - though I think the problem there is how you would background-check for mental illness.

Bear in mind though that the murderer in this case stole the firearm(s) from his mother after killing her.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »

Like Huckabee blaming this on God not being in the schools?  Conservatives make plenty of political hay out of stuff like this.  It's only when people bring up points they don't like that we're "politicizing a tragedy."  I call BS on the hypocrisy.

As I stated earlier, I am equally upset about the politicization on my side of the aisle.  My twitter timeline at the moment is making me ill, because for some folks the only solution to a problem is to introduce even more guns into the equation.

if you made tragedies apolitical there is nothing left.  is war apolitical?  is war not a tragedy?

Don't kid yourself.  The country is not mourning.  You don't know any of the people affected.  You could, however, be supportive of efforts to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again, right now.  That might be the best way to mourn the murdered children for someone who has no personal stake in the tragedy.

That's absolutely insulting, but I'm not holding it against you because this is a very sensitive issue.  

Attacking Constitutional rights is never a responsible reaction to a tragedy, whether its internment camps, the PATRIOT Act, going to war without purpose, or unreasonable gun control.
Stop the melodramatic posturing.  It's insulting that you are using the devastation wrought by this tragedy among the families involved to try and steer the debate/conversation away from preventing such an act from happening again.

I have yet to see any solutions in this thread that would prevent this act from happening again.  Please, if there are any such solutions, bring them forward.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

Improving mental health treatment is certainly part of the solution, if not The Solution. 

100% agree.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:58:53 PM »

That's not from the NRA.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »

The rogue mind in which the gun rest denies life again, its horror imagined lived infinity by the survivors of Adam Lanza; his capital sin, revenge - the Obama Christmas Present’.  The Obama Christmas Future’ - the denial and abuse of the Founding Father’s fundamentals can only foster greater atrocities. Their foresight was not void of mass murder, it’s forming was of it. Our Christmas Pass’, Obamacare - the aggrandizement of life, liberty and loot is met with equal distain.

WTF?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »

It is somewhat ironic that some folks that staunchly support drug legalization because "people will get drugs anyway and prohibition doesn't work" also believe that prohibition on guns will work well.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:27 AM »

Wow.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies