CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:06:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: How would you vote in this referendum ?
Abolish CA's death penalty
Keep CA's death penalty
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot  (Read 5104 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »

Hispanics tend to be pretty tough on crime issues.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

Hispanics tend to be pretty tough on crime issues.

I hardly think that locking a pizza thief up for 25 years while dangerous criminals roam the street is being tough on crime.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »

Prop. 34 narrowly trails 45.5-46.7.

http://www.cbrt.org/initiative-survey-series-2012/
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »

Fingers crossed this passes, but I have that bad feeling it'll just fail.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 12:12:42 AM »

I'm not confident.  The pro-state-sanctioned-homicide crowd will probably put out a slew of scare ads that will make people not want to vote for the measure.

It's sad that California is supposed to be so modern, yet executions still take place.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:30 AM »

So it hasn't officially qualified yet, but it looks like we'll also have a 3 strikes reform on the November ballot. It's probably got a better chance of passing than the death penalty repeal, although voters did reject a similar Proposition several years ago. The 2010 Republican nominee for Attorney General supports the Proposition.

3 strikes reform would probably save significantly more money than the death penalty repeal. Arnold opposed it. He certainly did quite a lot of fiscally short-sighted things that came around to bite him in the ass.

The law that says if you steal a bike three times you get locked up forever, right?  That's such an incredibly stupid law, and I hope it's eliminated.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »

I'd rather wait for a Field Poll or a SurveyUSA poll on this referendum.

Pepperdine University sounds "meh" - but I think it will be close, yes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 03:11:18 AM »

So it hasn't officially qualified yet, but it looks like we'll also have a 3 strikes reform on the November ballot. It's probably got a better chance of passing than the death penalty repeal, although voters did reject a similar Proposition several years ago. The 2010 Republican nominee for Attorney General supports the Proposition.

3 strikes reform would probably save significantly more money than the death penalty repeal. Arnold opposed it. He certainly did quite a lot of fiscally short-sighted things that came around to bite him in the ass.

The law that says if you steal a bike three times you get locked up forever, right?  That's such an incredibly stupid law, and I hope it's eliminated.

Nah. You'd have to commit a violent felony & then steal two bikes. The problem is that petty theft with a prior felony is typically treated as a felony.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

Dear California,

Just keep doing what you're doing.

Sincerely,
Texas
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

Dear California,

Sincerely,
Texas

Dear Texas,

Keep thinking you're all that and ignore the judgment of history and every other civilized country for your state-murder-boner.

Sincerely,
States that don't think everything they do is automatically hot sh**t in a champagne glass
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

Dear California,

Sincerely,
Texas

Dear Texas,

Keep thinking you're all that and ignore the judgment of history and every other civilized country for your state-murder-boner.

Sincerely,
States that don't think everything they do is automatically hot sh**t in a champagne glass

Why so much hate?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

Dear California,

Sincerely,
Texas

Dear Texas,

Sincerely,

Why so much hate?

Sorry. Instinctive reaction to Texan arrogance, particularly about subjects like the death penalty, which one would ideally really hope not even Texans would get arrogant about.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »

By the logic if Texas has a great death penalty usage, then China and Iran should be models to follow in this regard.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »

If I were in California, I would vote to keep it. I am very confused on the death penalty. I don't know if I support it or oppose it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »

Nah. You'd have to commit a violent felony & then steal two bikes. The problem is that petty theft with a prior felony is typically treated as a felony.
Still bizarre and evidently unjust.

Not to mention juries' penchant for resentencing former jailbirds on scanty evidence...
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2012, 02:12:11 PM by WhyteRain »

Dear California,

Sincerely,
Texas

Dear Texas,

Sincerely,

Why so much hate?

Sorry. Instinctive reaction to Texan arrogance...

Where I come from there's a saying, "It ain't braggin' if it's true".  I googled for that saying, just to learn where it originated.  It seems it's credited to a few people, notably football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant (who coached at Texas A&M), baseball pitcher Jerome "Dizzy" Dean, and boxer Muhummad Ali.  Ironically on the first page of the search results was this entry from just last week:  http://pjmedia.com/tatler/headline/it-aint-bragging-if-its-true-texas-remains-the-top-state-for-business/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, we like to think we keep our prisons the way they need to be to minimize the condemned men's complaints about the death penalty.  

[modify:]  It might help to think of it as our early and permanent release program.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »

By the logic if Texas has a great death penalty usage, then China and Iran should be models to follow in this regard.

It seems to me pretty arrogant to tell other states and countries what their laws ought to be -- especially if they're not hurting me.

(I didn't vote in the poll here because it seems like it's none of my, or any other non-Californian's, business how California handles its criminals.)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »

Ron White explains Texas vs. California on the Death Penalty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgQRgT15f9U

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2012, 02:28:24 PM by Nathan »

Dear California,

Sincerely,
Texas

Dear Texas,

Sincerely,

Why so much hate?

Sorry. Instinctive reaction to Texan arrogance...

Where I come from there's a saying, "It ain't braggin' if it's true".  I googled for that saying, just to learn where it originated.  It seems it's credited to a few people, notably football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant (who coached at Texas A&M), baseball pitcher Jerome "Dizzy" Dean, and boxer Muhummad Ali.  Ironically on the first page of the search results was this entry from just last week:  http://pjmedia.com/tatler/headline/it-aint-bragging-if-its-true-texas-remains-the-top-state-for-business/

Where I come from there's a saying, "Don't toot your own horn, a-hole." I can't source it, but the first time I heard it was from my Italian aunt in West Springfield.

Well, we like to think we keep our prisons the way they need to be to minimize the condemned men's complaints about the death penalty.  [/quote]

I don't think that's the precise concern that people from elsewhere have with your penal system.

It doesn't on a serious level, but I won't lie, it kind of does as black comedy.

Oh wow. This guy is an unbelievable cretin.
gunnut
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

While there is high hopes that Commyfornia is going to abolish the death penalty that they surprisingly still have, there is still hope for Conservative-leanin folks. If I can find an ammo depot and a gun range in the Livermore area I can sure well find some opposers of this abolishment.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

I think the best way to solve the death-penalty  views would be to implement affirmative action based on race and income in texas for death penalty and let them execute a few good ol boys. Although a revolution would be a lot more fun.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

I think the best way to solve the death-penalty  views would be to implement affirmative action based on race and income in texas for death penalty and let them execute a few good ol boys. Although a revolution would be a lot more fun.

Most people here will think you are kidding with your call for a race-based system of punishments, with harsher punishments for whites.

I know you're not.  http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/21/race-based-discipline-in-tucson-schools/
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »

Most people here will think you are kidding with your call for a race-based system of punishments, with harsher punishments for whites.

I know you're not.  http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/21/race-based-discipline-in-tucson-schools/
The problem is that the actions of the whites result in far more deaths than actions of blacks and hispanics, to quote opebo "Money is just a method for coercion".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »

Dear California,

Sincerely,
Texas

Having the death penalty without actually executing inmates?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

Outrageous, isn't it?

Let's stick with harsher punishments for Blacks and Latinos, as usual.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies