Australia 2013 - Results thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 07:28:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia 2013 - Results thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia 2013 - Results thread  (Read 50546 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 07, 2013, 04:12:30 AM »

Those that break these rules will be transported to Botany Bay for ten years.
Not much of a thread to those of our posters who already live there, I think. Maybe we should transport to Vandiemensland instead.

Leichhardt looks nice.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:34:05 AM »

I don't think that's much to do with them being Green Parties. It's more about (at least de facto) Independents not at odds with the seat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:43:59 AM »

So what's the final tally exactly? The ABC website is stuck on 81-51.
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The reason those four seats have no leader is not that they are super-duper-close (unlike the six listed just below) but that the relevant 2pp is not Coalition-ALP and they just haven't counted the actually relevant stuff yet.

Also, see here: http://www.aec.gov.au/FAQs/election_results.htm#when (this "the AEC determines the names of the two candidates expected to come first and second in the election" thingy seems to automatically assume Coalition-ALP except where there is a third party incumbent or Coalition or ALP are not even standing. Hence, no "real" 2pp results on election night for Fairfax or Indi, but for Katter's seat as he is the incumbent.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:49:47 AM »

Correction: it assumes the same two parties as last time, if available. Hence Batman (where the Liberals are in third place behind Labor and the Greens) is also ALP-Green.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:56:49 AM »

I wonder if it is really true that voters mistook the LDP as the LNP and that is how they got that Senate seat in NSW. That would really be sad.
Apparently the Liberal Democrats had the top left position on the NSW Senate ballot, so it might explain at least part of their success.

Watch parties start to recruit candidates who's name starts with A.
Nothing new about that.

I recall archiving 70s or 80s (I forget) issues of the Australian Communists' weekly or monthly or whatever for a summer job. I recall a rundown of their fistful of candidates' result in a General Election. I recall an asterisk by the name of all the slightly less successless candidates. I recall the explanatory note that the candidates in question had been listed first on the ballot.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

Is a full preference count done in seats where it might not make a difference? I noticed that in Maranoa, while the LNP is comfortably ahead of 50% on first preferences (and would therefore win regardless), the PUP is just slightly behind the ALP and seems to have a reasonable (PUP+KAP+FFP=22.8% right now; ALP+GRN=20.1% right now) chance of eclipsing it on preferences from other minor parties.
No. A Coalition vs ALP count is done everywhere, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:16:48 AM »

It's a shame Rudd wasn't so gracious in his concession speech.

or Abbott is his victory speech.

A result you deemed very unlikely and a week of distance will do that to a speech.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies