transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:05:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room?  (Read 10029 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:03 AM »

Biological male in the boys room, biological female in the girls room.

For one thing, I'd be very worried about a girl in the boys room being harassed badly, and a boy in the girls room would make the girls feel very, very uncomfortable. either way there are lots of liability issues. In any event, I don't think we need to open this can of worms, so anatomy dictates where you shower. I think that's reasonable.

And outside of Catholic schools, I haven't really heard of an American HS shower room being anything other than a military style group shower. That's not to say that shower rooms offering more privacy don't exist in your posher areas, but they are unusual.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »

I played some sports (not super serious, but for fun), I've been in a locker room, shower room, etc., and this is just not something I would want. It would affect a lot of interpersonal stuff in addition to what I mentioned earlier.

I totally support SSM and so forth, but this is an area where I draw the line. It would create dysfunction, and I'm willing to bet the people who support this have never functioned in a locker room. Professionals have a hard time with this, kids would go bonkers.

Please burn it promptly. Tongue

I disagree. At least, you have to make an effort to fit in like you do anywhere.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »

You literally said "a girl in the boys room would be harassed badly" which is correct! A transgirl in the boys bathroom would be harassed badly!  Likewise, you suggested that "a boy in the girls room would make girs feel uncomfortable". I also agree! A transboy in the girl's room would certainly make many girls uncomfortable.

Okay. Do you we disagree, then? Huh

To me, the solution seems clear: people who have fully transitioned should be able to go to the bathroom/locker room of their new gender, and people who haven't yet fully transitioned shouldn't.

That's reasonable. Although, I do not think anyone has the right to be on a team or in a locker room just because they feel this way or that way.

see the thing is, dempgh,
if we put aside human rights every time someone felt ~uncomfortable~ about them, we wouldn't have any form of human rights.

Using the opposite washroom or locker room is not a right, it's an imposition.

I disagree. At least, you have to make an effort to fit in like you do anywhere.

Joke, but many are uneasy about them. Its a vulnerable place, especially when you are young.

Yeah, it can be intimidating. Maybe because of the competition or who knows, but good leadership and an effort to fit in can assuage a lot of the intimidation. 

I remember playing with a fat, awkward kid, and I said, "Look, I don't know about the other guys, but as long as you're willing to meet us all halfway, you're cool with me." Sadly, he didn't stick around. I felt bad, but that's how it was.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »

"Persnickety" is one word for it. I can think of a few others. Wink

I think of gender and sex as the same, and I won't apologize for it. I'm not going to use gender free pronouns or hyphenated or non hyphenated euphemisms du jour. If people want to invent a name for themselves or a label or a condition or whatever, they are perfectly free to do that. And I support it. But it's going to go in one of my ears and out the other and life goes on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies