Why Biden is the best candidate Democrats have if he runs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:20:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Biden is the best candidate Democrats have if he runs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Biden is the best candidate Democrats have if he runs  (Read 866 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »

I have believed up until now that Hillary Clinton was the strongest Democratic Presidential Candidate. As a Republican, I have feared her in a general election most. Frankly, unless the GOP nominates Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio, I view her as the most likely to be the 45th President. I don't believe my party will nominate a Donald Trump or Ted Cruz, but I can't ignore the polls showing Trump leading with Dr. Ben Carson and Cruz not far behind. Jeb Bush is the first adult candidate who appears on the list, he's in fourth place. The email scandal is not Hillary Clinton's only problem. It is a problem, but in the scheme of things, I believe voters want someone who is authentic, and they don't have that coming from Hillary Clinton. Secretary Clinton comes across as cold, calculating, and sleazy. Most Americans don't completely trust her. In Bernie Sanders, Democrats have someone who is unapologetic and authentic. But centrist voters will never vote for someone as far left as Senator Sanders. Jim Webb is too conservative, in tone and on guns, for the Democratic electorate. Martin O'Malley has a poor record as Governor of Maryland by any objective measure, he can't win a general election. Lincoln Chafee is not a dynamic or warm personality. Enter Joe Biden. The challenge Biden has is that Barack Obama's approval ratings are below the 50% mark. But overall, it is undeniable that Biden is authentic, well respected, and energetic. If you put Biden up against Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio, it would be difficult for Democrats to win. Bush is also authentic and well respected, and Rubio is energetic. Bush and Rubio would make inroads with female voters, catholic voters, and hispanic voters that no other GOP candidate could make. But put Biden against Walker and Kasich and they don't have the same ability to win over hispanics and in Walker's case, female voters. Then, of course, you have the four crazies - Trump, Cruz, Santorum, and Carson. Obviously, anybody on the Democratic side would defeat them in a landslide. But I actually believe Biden would do better against them than Hillary. Why? Some conservatives would show up to defeat Clinton, whereas they wouldn't be as motivated to vote if Biden were the Democrat. Moderate Republicans would vote for Biden in larger numbers than Clinton. Other factors to consider are that Biden is better in debates than Clinton by far, he has basically no baggage, and Republicans have spent less time going after him, he's less damaged. Additionally, he connects better with white working class voters who supported Obama and Bush more than Clinton does. You also the fact that Biden is not part of a political dynasty, though I think the damage for both Clinton and Bush is very minimal on that front.

I believe the GOP is in the political wilderness like the Democrats were in 1988. Just as the Democrats had their crazies in '88 (David Duke, Lyndon LaRouche, Jesse Jackson) we have our four crazies (Trump, Santorum, Cruz, Carson) now. The Democrats had Al Gore and initially Gary Hart representing the practical wing of the Democratic Party, much like the GOP has Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio now. You then had a controversial Governor (Michael Dukakis) then as we do now (Scott Walker), an unscripted outspoken candidate (Joe Biden) like we do now (Chris Christie), and an overlooked establishment approved candidate (Dick Gephardt) as we have now (John Kasich). You also had a candidate then who stands out (Paul Simon) from the rest of the pack as we do now (Rand Paul). You also had a token female candidate in 1988 (Patricia Shroeder) as we do today (Carly Fiorina).

But wait, it continues! There are also similarities between the 1988 GOP field and today's Democratic field. You had the incumbent Vice President (George Bush) and the Former U.S. Secretary of State (Alexander Haig) in the same race just as we could have Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton in the race today. You then had another acceptable establishment candidate then (Bob Dole) as we do today (Martin O'Malley). There was the guy who stood out from the rest of the pack (Pat Robertson) then, we have the same thing today in Jim Webb. Finally, you had the ideological purist (Jack Kemp) as Democrats have Bernie Sanders now. In '88, you had a wealthy northeastern moderate (Pierre S. DuPont IV) as we have today (Lincoln Chaffee).

The logical conclusion here is that if you agree with my analysis of the similarities between '88 and '16, then Biden wins. But a lot depends on who the GOP nominates. If the GOP nominates Walker, our Michael Dukakis, we lose. But if we nominate our Al Gore, Jeb Bush, we win. Same thing if we nominate our Gary Hart WITHOUT the Donna Rice issue, Marco Rubio. We'll see, but I now believe Biden is more formidable than Clinton.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »

No. Thanks, though.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »

This post badly needs a tl;dr.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »

I like Biden, but all these recommendations from right wing hacks that they replace Hillary with him should send up some red flags.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:49:41 PM »

I like Biden.  In 2008, my preference for President was 1. Obama 2. Biden, and 3. Clinton.  That said, he is viewed as something of a goofball and he has a low-approval rating.  It seems that being VP generally tanks your approval ratings, you get none of the credit and all of the hatred.  Although, I wonder whether his personal appeal could win over the country eventually.  He showed in the Ryan debate that he's a great debater and he exceeds expectations.  But, ultimately, he's not a great candidate.  His numbers are just bad, he's too old and he's had more than his share of gaffes. 

Should something happen to Clinton, I think we're just plain screwed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »

That said, he is viewed as something of a goofball and he has a low-approval rating. 

Interestingly, his favorability has been on the upswing of late:

That would never last if he actually runs for president though.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »

I think that's a bit of grass is always greener mentality.  Moderate Republicans saying, "oh, Biden, that's the Democrat I like!  Not that awful Hillary Clinton."

That's why Clinton had sky-high ratings in 2011-12.  People said, "oh, Hillary, that's the Democrat I like!  Not that awful Obama."  Once the partisan spotlight hits you, your approvals go back to earth.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »

I don't get why Republicans are so anxious to keep Hillary from being the nominee.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:19:32 AM »

That said, he is viewed as something of a goofball and he has a low-approval rating. 

Not really interesting. His son died of cancer and people feel bad.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 12:20:58 AM »

I want Biden to join the race and win. He is Dems best hope in retaining presidency.  
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:27 AM »

Not really interesting. His son died of cancer and people feel bad.

Yep, there's not that much to it.

I want Biden to join the race and win. He is Dems best hope in retaining presidency. 

I love Joe, but this is absolutely not true.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »

1. John Kasich
2. Joe Biden

That said, I'd vote for Biden over Kasich if he made either the efficient O'Malley or the maverick Brown/Heinrich his running-mate. I really like his gravitas and personable attitude.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies