Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:47:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 318221 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2013, 12:34:11 PM »

Republicans are starting to get worried about nominating a poor candidate here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »

Ya know, I keep hearing this theory that Nunn could win if her eventual Republican opponent veers too far to the right, but I just don't know.

It's plausible since that has happened recently in senate races in Missouri, Indiana, Nevada and Delaware. But when people say "too far to the right" I wonder according to whom? This is Georgia, a state I love but I'm also fully aware of how people think here. Most Republicans will vote for the nominee no matter what they say, and they'll probably agree with them on everything, and they'll probably dig their heels into the ground even more every time a journalist labels them "far right." That's a good thing in the Georgia GOP.

I think the whole reason the Republicans took over here is because the GA Dems could no longer hold those far right views and still get support from the national party, so the Republicans took their place. Sam Nunn, for example, was totally against Clinton's DADT policy. His daughter can't be nearly as conservative on gay rights if she expects to call herself a Democrat.

And really, who are these supposed conservatives who might vote for Nunn? Aren't they the target audience for all this right wing lunacy in the first place? Most of those people haven't voted Democrat in 20 years and I don't think they're about to start now, when the two parties are more ideologically polarized than ever.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

I think BK made an important point about his family and their friends agreeing with Broun but dissapproving of him making it an issue on the evolution thing.

It is not that the Republican nominess in Indiana and Missouri were too conservative, it is that they said stupid things, otherwise they both would be Senators right now. Candidate quality and message discipline matters.

There was a point that substantially Ayotte and O'Donnell had the same positions and save for the differences in the lean of their states, the major reason while Ayotte got 60% and O'Donnell around 40% is because the former was a good candidate and the later was a horrible one. Delaware though is too Democratic to elect a conservative Republican, as a 60% Obama state.

Lack of discipline and gaffe making have a long history though on the GOP side and just as much amongst establishment types as amongst tea partiers.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »

Attention whoring: It was great to meet Michelle Nunn tonight in Dalton, as she came up for a private meeting with about twenty of us. I'm really excited about the prospects of her candidacy - much more so than I was just a few weeks ago - as we were able to discuss both strategic and values-based goals for the campaign ahead. This is a candidate that is forgoing none of the state when it comes to her message and enthusiasm.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #229 on: August 15, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »

Nice!!
GAworth
United States

« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:25 AM »

First off, even if the Democrats got back in to change it, Atlanta would go crazy over being carved up like that. Also, the courts would probably kill it, hate to rain on the parade. I do love the possibility though of 12 democratic house districts.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »

EMILY's List endorsed Nunn.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

Georgia's one point trend is nothing significant. If you look at the Bush elections he had a lot of his evangelical base there. The state has never been that far to the right and won't go that close to center. There's really not a trend at least right now.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »

Former State Senator Steen Miles has jumped in to the Senate primary race on the Dem side  http://wabe.org/post/miles-joins-growing-field-dems-2014-senate-race

Miles seems to be running to the left of Nunn, though GA Tea Party chair Debbie Dooley was there (mainly as part of that Green Tea Party coalition thing).

This psychiatrist guy is also running http://drradforsenate.com/ seems to have a moderate approach and sounds like a typical psychiatrist.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »

Democrat Stokes to challenge Deal for Ga. governor

Who? Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2013, 04:00:50 PM by GM Griffin »

THIS JUST IN FROM NEWNAN, GA - DUBOSE PORTER WINS DPG CHAIR ELECTION ON SECOND BALLOT

A lot of deals were made last-minute - Doug Stoner seemed like a shoe-in based on chatter throughout the state cmte members going into this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »

THIS JUST IN FROM NEWNAN, GA - DUBOSE PORTER WINS DPG CHAIR ELECTION ON SECOND BALLOT

A lot of deals were made last-minute - Doug Stoner seemed like a shoe-in based on chatter throughout the state cmte members going into this.

Who is Dubose Porter?  And what do you think of him?  Do you think he can position the GA Democratic Party in the medium-long term to take over the state? 
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

Who is Dubose Porter?  And what do you think of him?  Do you think he can position the GA Democratic Party in the medium-long term to take over the state? 

From what I know, he's a great fundraiser.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2013, 11:34:25 PM »

She's 59? If that photo was taken within the last 15 years... Wow.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: September 02, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »

From what I know, he's a great fundraiser.

Yeah, among other things. Quite the media mogul in middle Georgia, served in the State House for almost 30 years and minority leader. He has the connections and the ability to revive the party, but the biggest concern throughout all of this was whether he'll be a full-time Chair or not. It's good to see a rural take the seat, though.

She's 59? If that photo was taken within the last 15 years... Wow.

She'll actually be 60 tomorrow (from 2010). She apparently bombed at the State Committee meeting/election, though (no prepared speech).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:17 AM »

Boom. An empire-sized map for the Empire State of the South.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:51 AM »

Adam, congrats; wonderful work.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:33 AM »

'Poor Gingrey:

GAworth
United States

« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »

Anyone else hear about Barge jumping on the GOP side for Governor. That could make things interesting. I would like to see Deal not face reelection without having to work for it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

The head of the Georgia public school system, ladies and gentlemen:

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

Honestly though, I really doubt Barge makes much of a dent in the race. He has no political connections, the GOP establishment doesn't care for him, he's shown no evidence of any substantial fundraising capacity (in 2010 his Democratic opponent outraised him 3 to 1) and he doesn't have the wealth to be a self-funder.

Keep in mind he only won the GOP Superintendent primary in 2010 because Kathy Cox, the incumbent and presumptive nominee, unexpectedly announced her resignation six days before the qualification deadline. The primary was then between two random high school assistant principals and John Barge beat the other guy 51%-49%.

In other news, I've been hearing speculation that Jim Marshal might run for Governor! Anyone have info on that?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2013, 03:30:06 AM »

Thanks! I actually got the inspiration from your LA map, but it took me a few months to overcome the dread of making it. Tongue

In other news, I've been hearing speculation that Jim Marshal might run for Governor! Anyone have info on that?

I haven't heard anything recently, but that doesn't mean much with my ear so close to the municipal ground as of late. Wink He could be a pretty viable dark horse at this point, though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »

Politico on Broun.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »

The Atlanta Journal Constitution finds Deal with 49/24 approvals. No actual matchups though.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »

GREAT NEWS!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/ajc-poll-support-for-gay-marriage-in-georgia-is-gr/nZ349/

This is hard to believe - I really want to see this poll's results. Stupid subscription won't let me view any more than just the first paragraph, though, so I don't know the numbers just yet.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies