2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 155281 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 02:49:31 AM »

Biden Acceptance Speech

Thank you Wisconsin! Thank you, all of you here and across the state, for the hard work you did for our campaign. Thank you for your votes, your trust, and support. This is an amazing state, and we're going to do a lot of great work together in the next four years!

New Biden Endorsements

Henry Waxman, Congressman from California's 30th Congressional District

Congressman Waxman published an editorial in the Los Angeles Times endorsing Senator Biden, and inviting the people of Los Angeles to see the endorsement event and rally later on.

Barbara Lee, Congresswoman from California's 9th Congressional District

Congresswoman Lee published an op-ed in the Oakland Tribune and Berkeley paper endorsing Senator Biden, and inviting the people of Oakland to see the endorsement event and rally later on.

James Hahn, Mayor from Los Angeles, California

Mayor Hahn appeared in his press room and delivered a live statement endorsing Senator Biden, and inviting the people of Los Angeles to see the endorsement event and rally later on.

The Democratic Congressional Delegation from Rhode Island

Jack Reed, Senator from Rhode Island

Senator Reed issues an official endorsement out of his Rhode Island office, and on Feb. 18 endorsed Biden publicly (but not in person) at a dinner for Democratic donors and activists in Providence, RI.

Patrick J. Kennedy, Congressman from Rhode Island's 1st Congressional District

"My cousin Caroline, I understand her support for Senator Clinton. I do. Caroline's from New York, so of course she supports her Senator. But dad taught me that Irish, we stick together, and I am proud to be endorsing Senator Biden from Delaware for President in our upcoming Democratic Primary!"

Jim Langevin, Congressman from Rhode Island's 2nd Congressional District

Congressman Langevin was asked by a constituent on Feb. 19 at a meet & greet who he was voting for in the upcoming primary. He said Senator Biden, and that an event was in the works for after the Feb. 24 contests. Our cameras caught the whole interaction... - FOX NEWS
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 02:56:15 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2014, 03:00:46 AM by badgate »

Statement from Biden campaign

Senator Biden is honored to receive the endorsement of two California Congresspersons who represent heavily Democratic districts that will be a significant amount of the GOTV effort, and the primary voters. Mr. Biden is also grateful for the support of the Mayor of Los Angeles.

Senator Biden has staked his candidacy on his ability to work with members of Congress and get things done for the American people. Therefore we are pleased to welcome the endorsements of all three Democrats in Rhode Island's congressional delegation.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 12:30:11 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2014, 03:28:53 AM by badgate »

Biden Surrogates

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME)
-Feb. 18-23: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in Rhode Island
-Feb. 24: D.C. Working at Senate office

Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA)
-Feb. 18: Massachusetts - Working at Massachusetts Senate office
-Feb. 19-24: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in Rhode Island

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA)
-Feb. 18: D.C. - Working at Senate office
-Feb. 19: Virginia - Working at Virginia Senate office
-Feb. 20-24: Georgia - Barnstorming in Georgia

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
-Feb. 18-24: Idaho - Barnstorming in Idaho

Sen. Mark Dayton (D-MN)
-Feb. 18-23: Minnesota - Barnstorming in Minnesota
-Feb. 24: Minnesota - Working at Minnesota Senate office

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA)
-Feb. 18-24: Ohio - Barnstorming in Ohio

Former Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA)
[/b]Feb. 18-19: California - see Biden's schedule
Feb. 20-24: Utah - Barnstorming and GOTV in Salt Lake City

Gov. Jim Doyle (D-WI)
-Feb. 18-19: Wisconsin - Working
-Feb. 20-24: Minnesota - Barnstorming in Minnesota

Rep. Ben Chandler (D-KY)
-Feb. 18-24: Ohio - Barnstorming in Ohio (not including votes in the House)

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
-Feb. 18-24: Ohio - Barnstorming in Ohio (not including votes in the Senate)

Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT)
-Feb. 18-20: Idaho - Barnstorming and GOTV in Idaho
-Feb. 21-24: Utah - Barnstorming and GOTV in Utah

Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI)
-Feb. 18-24: Ohio - Barnstorming in Ohio (not including votes in the Senate)

Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)
-Feb. 18-24: California - Barnstorming in California (not including votes in the House)

Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI)
-Feb. 18-24: Minnesota - Barnstorming in Minnesota (not including votes in the House)

Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN)
-Feb. 18-24: Minnesota - Barnstorming in MN-4 (not including votes in the House)

Rep. Martin Olav Sabo (D-MN)
-Feb. 18-24: Minnesota - Barnstorming in MN-5 (not including votes in the House)

Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI)
-Feb. 18-24: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in Rhode Island (not including votes in the Senate)

Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI)
-Feb. 18-24: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in RI-1 (not including votes in the House)

Rep. Jim Langevin (D-RI)
-Feb. 18-24: Rhode Island - Barnstorming in RI-2 (not including votes in the House)

Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA
-Feb. 18: California - see Biden's schedule
-Feb. 19-24: California - Barnstorming in CA-9 (not including votes in the House)

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)
-Feb. 18: D.C. - Working at D.C. office
-Feb. 19: California - see Biden's schedule
-Feb. 20-24: California - Barnstorming in CA-30 (not including votes in the House)

Mayor James Hahn (D - Los Angeles)
-Feb. 18: Los Angeles - Working at city hall
-Feb. 19: Los Angeles - see Biden's schedule
-Feb. 20-24: Los Angeles - Barnstorming in Los Angeles
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 12:38:50 AM »

TV Ad: Raise The Wage

MALE FACTORY WORKER: An honest day's work.
WOMAN IN OFFICE: If it's 9 to 5.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: Or 2 to 10.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: It deserves an honest day's pay. That's why Joe Biden is going to raise the minimum wage. In the Senate, Joe Biden made our neighborhoods safer with the Biden Crime Law.
WOMAN IN OFFICE: He wrote the Violence Against Women Act, and made sure it was signed into law.
FEMALE COLLEGE STUDENT: He passed restrictions that stopped the spread of date rape drugs.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: So of all the candidates asking for our vote, we know we can count on Joe-
WOMAN IN OFFICE: - to raise the wage.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: -  to raise the wage.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: -  to raise the wage.

LOGO: [Biden for President] I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

TV Ad: Joe's Green Thumb

WOMAN: Protection of the environment is a key issue to Senator Joe Biden. Above all other Democratic candidates Joe's got a green thumb for clean energy and clean air. In the Senate he has been a leader in the cause, and is the only candidate that the League of Conservation Voters has held a fundraiser in support. When Senator Biden visited us here in Washington, he was the only candidate to visit our national parks and nature preserves.

JOE BIDEN: If our promise to our children is a quality education, we must also leave them a quality Earth to inhabit. As President I'll fight for stricter punishments to force oil manufacturers to make oil spills extremely rare. I'll never sleep if there's extreme and dangerous weather occurring throughout the country. And I'll fight. For you. I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 02:36:19 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2014, 03:10:49 AM by badgate »

Biden Campaign Schedule

February 18, 2004 Idaho & California
-9:00am - Town Hall in Idaho Falls w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Jim Matheson
-11:00am - Town Hall in Pocatello w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Jim Matheson
-3:45pm - Rally in Oakland w/ Rep. Lee & Gov. Brown, Rep. Barbara Lee and Gov. Jerry Brown endorse Biden for President
-5:10pm - Rally in Berkeley w/ Rep. Lee & Gov. Brown, Rep. Barbara Lee and Gov. Jerry Brown endorse Biden for President
-6:00pm - Student Forum at University of California: Berkeley w/ Rep. Lee

Excerpts from Student Forum at UC Berkeley

QUESTION (from student): What are you going to do about Iraq?

BIDEN: I don't plan to prop up another dictator. The Bush administration did severe damage here, and any solution will require long-term thinking. That is just the reality of where we are in Iraq and what we need to take in stock while setting the path forward. What I will do, is encourage our friendly nations to trade with Iraq and help arm the national guard that American soldiers already on tours of duty will train. My administration will set a timetable and work with the UN to hold elections for a constitutional convention in Geneva, followed by parliamentary elections. Once the parliament is in place it will ratify the constitution and elect a Prime Minister. We will need to continue with the current number of soldiers to ensure national stability until the national guard is prepared to take over.

QUESTION (from teacher): You've been talking a lot about raising the minimum wage, but the bill you introduced to the Senate does not address the pay of food service waiters. Where do you stand on their pay?

BIDEN: It's no question that too much of their pay comes from tips, an unreliable source by any measure. If we could find a way for these employees to report their tips, we could also require restaurants to pay the difference to ensure that every table served is a 20% tip. I do support raising the hourly wage for these workers, because we know from previous raises that well-paid workers is money well spent. We know it engages employees and commits them to work harder, driving profits for their employer, and the extra money in their pocket drives up consumer spending, and, in turn, job hiring. That's the cycle of prosperity we've been talking about with this bill and will fight for in the White House until we get it done.

-7:45pm - Rally in Alameda, w/ Rep. Lee & Gov. Brown, Rep. Barbara Lee and Gov. Jerry Brown endorse Biden for President
-9:00pm - Fundraiser in Berkeley w/ Rep. Lee, Sen. Cantwell, Gov. Brown, Rep. Waxman, Alan Blinken, & Rep. Matheson

(local affiliates invited to all stops)

February 19, 2004 California & Hawaii
-9:00am - Press Conference outside Los Angeles City Hall, w/ Mayor Hahn. Mayor James Hahn endorses Biden for President
-10:00am - Meet & Greet with campaign volunteers & California Field Officers in Los Angeles
-11:00am - Rally in Los Angeles with Mayor Hahn, Gov. Brown, and Rep. Waxman. Mayor James Hahn, Governor Jerry Brown, and Rep. Henry Waxman endorse Biden for President
-12:00pm - Town Hall in Los Angeles w/ Rep. Waxman & Mayor Hahn
-1:00-6:40pm - Fly from Los Angeles to Honolulu
-7:00pm - Rally in Honolulu with Sen. Inouye, Sen. Daniel Inouye endorses Biden for President
-9:00pm - Rally in Kahului with Sen. Inouye, Sen. Daniel Inouye endorses Biden for President

February 20, 2004 Hawaii "Hawaiian for Biden" Tour!
-8:45am - Meet & Greet with volunteers in Hilo
-9:00am - Rally in Hilo w/ Sen. Inouye
-9:30am - Town Hall in Hilo w/ Sen. Inouye
-11:00am - Town Hall in Kailua-Kona w/ Sen. Inouye
-12:45pm - Barnstorm in Kahului w/ Sen. Inouye
-2:15pm - Town Hall in Lahaina w/ Sen. Inouye
-3:45pm - Town Hall in Kaneohe w/ Sen. Inouye
-4:15pm - Rally in Kaneohe w/ Sen. Inouye
-5:15pm - Town Hall in Pearl City w/ Sen. Inouye
-6:00pm - Town Hall in Waipahu w/ Sen. Inouye
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Mililani w/ Sen. Inouye
-8:15pm - Town Hall in Wahiawā w/ Sen. Inouye
-9:00pm - Satellite appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO

Excerpts from Real Time with Bill Maher

MAHER: Now Senator George Allen, did you see this? George Allen, he's going out and waving signs that say "Get your hands off my healthcare."

BIDEN: You know Bill, that mindset, it doesn't surprise me at all. It's a direct result of the broken system we currently have in regards to healthcare in this country. Millions of hardworking American families know, if they get sick, or have an accident, they could lose their health plan like that. *snap* Our current healthcare system is so down on the consumer, charging people more for having a diagnosis before buying a plan, for instance. Most consumers understand how fragile their standing with their healthcare provider can be, and so most people have found their little niche of the market with the plan that they can work with. And the idea of suddenly coming in and changing the whole system, that's scary. So, Senator Allen, he's wrong about a lot of things and right about a lot of other things. I think he might still be wrong on this. But it's important to me, to come at it from the everyday persons' perspective, and still to find a real solution that will fix all of those problems I mentioned, and I've got a record of getting things done in the Senate that shows I'm up to the challenge of getting America to universal health care. (applause)

Feb. 21, 2004 Hawaii & Utah
-10:00am - Press Conference in Honolulu w/ Sen. Inouye
-11:00am - GOTV in Honolulu w/ Sen. Inouye
-12:00pm - GOTV in Kaneohe w/ Sen. Inouye
-1:00pm - GOTV in Waipahu w/ Sen. Inouye
-2:00pm - Fly from Honolulu to Salt Lake City
-7:30pm - Rally & GOTV in Salt Lake City w/ Rep. Matheson
-8:45pm - Rally in Layton/Clearfield/Roy w/ Rep. Matheson
-10:00pm - Fundraiser in Salt Lake City w/ Rep. Matheson, Alan Blinken, & Mario Cuomo

Feb. 22, 2004 Utah & Idaho
-9:00am - Meet & Greet w/ GOTV volunteers in Salt Lake City w/ Rep. Matheson. (Volunteer leaders for SLC, West Vally City, West Jordan, Orem, Ogden, Provo, & St. George
-9:30am - Town Hall in West Valley City w/ Rep. Matheson
-11:00am - Rally in Orem w/ Rep. Matheson
-12:00pm - Town Hall btw Orem & Provo w/ Rep. Matheson
-1:30pm-2:30pm - Fly from Salt Lake City to Boise w/ Rep. Matheson
-2:45pm - Rally in Boise w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-4:00pm - Town Hall in Nampa w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-4:45pm - Town Hall in Caldwell w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Post Falls w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-8:00pm - Town Hall in Coeur d'Alene w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson

Excerpt from Rally, Barnstorm, GOTV & Town Halls
You may have heard by now, a little about my Senate record. I'm working hard to make sure the grassroots decision-makers in this primary, folks like you, that you know what I've done in the Senate and why it makes me the only qualified candidate for President. When the SALT treaty for arms control fell apart in the late 70s, I personally met with Russia's Foreign Minister and worked out a compromise so that our world would be safer. I stood up against President Reagan's attempts to violate the second SALT treaty. In 1994 the President signed a sweeping crime bill into law that was drafted by my office. In that same year I wrote and passed the Violence Against Women Act, making sure America is a safe haven from gender-based hate crimes.

Two weeks ago, I introduced a bill to the Senate to raise the minimum wage, something desperately needing to be done here in Wisconsin. It will grow our economy and bring millions out of poverty and closer to a standard of living. In a matter of days, my leadership inspired Senator Edwards and Congressman Kucinich to follow my lead in support of raising the wage. I am sorry to say, however, it took Senator Clinton days to respond. For five days, she was ignoring the hardworking among us and only responded because we got to a point where she had to. Look, I believe the President should be a leader, first and foremost.

The challenges we face in the next four years are not insurmountable. We can end the war in Iraq and fulfill the responsibilities expected of a global leader by holding fair and free elections and stabilizing their government. We can restore the international prestige of our name. We can raise the minimum wage so that work pays fairly and ensure the work place is a level playing field. But "can" is for the runners up. Vote for me, and we will.

February 23, 2004 Idaho
-8:00am - Pre-tape satellite interview with Hawaii morning news
-9:30am - Meet & Greet in Coeur d'Alene w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-10:15am - Meet & Greet in Post Falls w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-11:00am-12:00pm - Fly from Post Falls to Boise w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-12:15pm - Rally in Boise w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-1:00pm - Town Hall in Mountain Home w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-2:30pm - Rally in Twin Falls w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-3:15pm - Meet and Greet in Burley w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-5:30pm - Rally in Pocatello w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-7:00pm - Rally in Idaho Falls w/ Alan Blinken & Rep. Matheson
-8:00pm - Live satellite interview with Idaho news markets

February 24, 2004 Idaho, Utah, Massachusetts, & Rhode Island
-9:00am - GOTV in Boise w/ Alan Blinken
-11:15am - GOTV in Twin Falls w/ Alan Blinken
-11:50am-12:40pm - Fly from Twin Falls to Salt Lake City
-1:00pm-GOTV in Salt Lake City w/ Rep. Matheson
-2:00-6:30pm - Fly from Salt Lake City to Boston
-6:45pm - Rally in Boston w/ Sen. Ted Kennedy, Senator Ted Kennedy endorses Biden for President
-8:00pm - Rally in Providence w/ Sen. Jack Reed, Rep. Patrick Kennedy. Senator Jack Reed & Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy endorse Biden for President
-9:00-1:00am - Rally in Providence campaign HQ for 2/24 primary results.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 12:56:02 AM by badgate »

Statement from Senator Joe Biden
in Boise, ID flanked by Alan Blinken, Rep. Jim Matheson, & Former Gov. Mario Cuomo

While I believe that until Jon Huntsman is nominated for a cabinet post, it is up to his constituents to question him on the issues, I am deeply disappointed in the lengths that Senator Clinton has gone to attempt to win the Utah contests.

The primary system is a great part of our democracy, and the voters in the Democratic primary clearly have yet to settle on one candidate. And that's fine. However, it is appalling for Senator Clinton, at this early stage when nobody's nomination is assured, to be circumventing the will of the voters and staffing a hypothetical cabinet for tomorrow with the endorsements of yesterday.

This is indicative of the back-room dealing and wheeling of the Clinton administration in the 90s. I think, and I believe my friendly rivals on the Democratic side as well as our friends in the Republican primary will agree, that the voters deserve to know if Mrs. Clinton is truly promising cabinet appointments in order to secure endorsements.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »

OOC: I'm pretty sure Bill Richardson endorsing Gary Johnson, who's basically a Libertarian is just a bit ridiculous...

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 12:53:41 AM by badgate »

Statement from Biden campaign
in Honolulu, HI, flanked by Sen. Daniel Inouye & Frmr. Gov. Mario Cuomo

All of my endorsers, including Hawaii's Senator Daniel Inouye, have put their support behind my campaign because they believe I will win the White House for the Democrats, end the war in Iraq, and raise the minimum wage.

In the Senate I've been a leader, a dealmaker, and a legislator. I wrote and passed the Violence Against Women Act, the Biden Crime Law, and along with your Senators' help, successfully blocked the controversial Supreme Court nomination from Ronald Reagan. It is because of my leadership in Congress that I have burnished so many endorsements from my peers in the Senate and in the House of Representatives. I have never, and will never make a back-room deal for an endorsement.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »

ooc: It seems my 'Constituency of One' ad is more prescient now more than ever.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 02:45:41 PM by badgate »

Statement from Biden Campaign

All surrogates have been given new talking points for their engagements on February 22, 23, and 24. All surrogates will be attacking Senator Clinton for promising an appointment for Jon Huntsman's endorsement. Surrogates will also push Biden's record in the Senate, saying it proves he is the best choice to get things done in the White House such as ending the war in Iraq, finding unity at home, and raising the minimum wage.

In the Senate, Hillary Clinton has served a constituency of one: Herself. The recent admission of a back-room deal for an endorsement is only proof that Senator Clinton is running for herself, and not for the Democratic party or the people of the United States.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 10:59:34 PM by badgate »

Biden GOTV Strategy

Since Feb. 13, the Biden campaign had neighborhood volunteer teams in Boise, Idaho Falls, Nampa, Twin Falls, Pocatello, Moscow, and Coeur d'Alene in Idaho, Ogden, Salt Lake City, Provo, Sandy, and St. George in Utah, and Honolulu, Waipahu, Kaneohe, Wahiawa, Kahului, Lahaina, Kailua Kona, and Hilo in Hawaii.

Each neighborhood team organized phone banks and block walks with an average of 8 volunteers attending and completing each event. Phone banks were held between 6p and 9p on week nights, and block walks were held from 11am to 3pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Phone banks averaged 875 calls per phone bank, with an average of 13% conversation rate. Block Walks averaged 789 doors knocked, with a 25% conversation rate overall. Phone banks were held to both persuade voters, inform voters of early voting times and provide them with their early voting location, and on Feb. 20-24 encouraging voters to vote on the day of the primary. Block Walks included persuasion conversations, volunteer recruitment, and GOTV efforts mirroring those of the phone banks.

On February 24, volunteers held phone banks across the three states calling registered voters who had voted in previous Democratic primaries, but who had not been reached yet in the campaign. They reported a 21% conversation rate for the overall day. Shifts were 10am-1pm, 1pm-4pm, and 4pm-7pm.

The GOTV targeted those on the voter rolls who had previously voted in a Democratic primary. The effort had volunteers emphasize that they were neighbors with the voters they reached, and share a personal story that explained why they supported Senator Biden. The persuasion tool also had volunteers give a contrast between something Senator Biden had done and a contrasting anecdote about one of his opponents. The main issues pushed were the minimum wage (state-wide), ENDA (urban areas), and highlighting Senator Biden's endorsement from the National Education Association (state-wide).

The Biden campaign has also built up neighborhood volunteer teams in major cities of the top tier Super Tuesday targets, as well as putting field organizers to manage neighborhood volunteer teams in the top tier targets for Super Tuesday: California, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Ohio, Rhode Island, & Vermont. Thanks to the Wisconsin victory, fundraising allowed for the hiring of a few new field organizers. There are currently two field organizers in Hawaii, two in Idaho, and one in Utah. Karen Johanson, who successfully got out the vote for Biden in Wisconsin, has been overseeing the field operations in the Feb. 24 states. There are also four in California, one in Minnesota, two in Ohio, two in Maryland, one in Massachusetts, and one in Rhode Island.

Due to Utah's low number of delegates, in the final days of the primary campaigns the Biden campaign focused on holding Biden's lead in Idaho and overtaking Clinton in Hawaii.

Senator Daniel Inouye became an invaluable resource for the Biden campaign as they sought to win Hawaii. The Senator used his vast knowledge of the Hawaiian political landscape to reach out to voters many Presidential campaigns, according to him, "overlook."
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »

ooc: wow...just got home from a phone bank. Didn't think I'd get that in in time!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »

If California declined from Solid Giuliani to Lean Giuliani, why did my numbers go down?

Perhaps Johnson's went way up
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2014, 12:47:33 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 12:52:03 AM by badgate »

Biden Acceptance Speech
in Providence, RI

Wow! Wow, what a great night for this campaign! (Cheers) That's right folks! (people won't stop cheering) Alright, alright, settle down. (laughter)

Wow, congratulations to our splendid volunteers in Idaho and Hawaii. We are running a grassroots primary campaign, and in each of our three recent victories, it has been because the people of those states owned their choice and hit the pavement to make sure the right candidate got their delegates. It is so inspirational to see that happen and see that the people are responding best to our message of peace and prosperity in an American 21st century.

Now the last tracking poll had us down in Rhode Island, but they've had is down before! (cheers) And they've counted us out before! (more cheers) And we're going to go out tomorrow, talk to the people of this state, and win the Rhode Island primary! We're gonna win on Super Tuesday! (cheers hit fever pitch, energetic Phil Collins song begins playing) Thank you! God bless you! And bless every state in the United States of America! (energetic response) (Phil Collins blaring)

Listen to Biden's campaign song here!

The campaign has reallocated its field organizers to the Super Tuesday states accordingly: California - 8, Massachusetts - 1, Rhode Island - 1, Connecticut - 2, Maryland - 1, Ohio - 3.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:08 AM »

Out of curiosity, where is the debate held?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2014, 03:41:48 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 03:45:27 AM by badgate »

Presidential Primary Debate: Democrats

To Senator Biden: Senator, according to pundits the problem with the Democratic nomination race is that no one has been able to seal the deal and unite the party. Assuming you win the nomination, can you unite the party and would consider your opponents as a running mate?

Well, this sounds a little like a sly question trying to get me to reveal a list of Vice Presidential candidates. (Laughter) Thing is, I don't put the cart before the horse. Unlike Senator Clinton, who has been suggesting cabinet appointments to secure endorsements...perhaps this question was meant for her. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have no such list.

You're right that the party has yet to unite around a candidate. I believe that with my leadership the Democratic party and the nation will unite around our campaign. In some ways, the last few weeks have been a competition of personalities. And I'll tell ya, I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet. But that's not all I am.

You've probably heard lately, but I've been in the Senate for some time. And I've gotten a lot done. I'm ready to do more as President. I will be a Democratic nominee that won't be ashamed of the letter or label. I'm proud that I'm pro-choice, a devout Catholic, and firmly ready to hold the line on Social Security. I'll be proud to sign into law the Employer Non-Discrimination Act, raise the minimum wage, and pursue a return to diplomacy abroad. I can unite this party to my platform because my platform is the party, and when we convene in Boston, we
will unite the Democratic party.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've said before, the Bush administration did severe damage here, and any solution will require long-term thinking. That is just the reality of where we are in Iraq and what we need to take in stock while setting the path forward. I firmly believe that our national identity comes with a responsibility to be ethical, honest, and strong leaders in the world. It is my belief that we should work to stabilize the nation of Iraq. Our departing President, George Bush, swindled us with false information and deceived the international community as well. This is not a legacy I intend to carry on in the White House.

My administration will set a timetable and work with the UN to hold regional elections for a constitutional convention in Geneva, followed by parliamentary elections in Iraq. Once the parliament is in place it will ratify the constitution and elect a Prime Minister. While some troops already in Iraq may continue their deployment to help train the Iraqi National Guard, it is my intention that we will use economic aid rather than a surge of American sons and daughters, to finish our work in Iraq.

In the meantime I will direct Congress to find a way to grant medical coverage of all returning veterans, starting on day one. It is our responsibility that our servicewomen and men are taken care of and supported, that we repair the wounds caused by this ill-conceived war and occupation.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »

ooc: my mood while writing Biden's schedule & endorsements http://youtu.be/iiXOyOQJd30
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »

Statement from Dr. Jill Biden

Early this morning Joe and I spoke to Governor Owens, and separately spoke with Frances Owens. We offered both of them our prayers and support as they undergo this difficult time for their family. With respect for their privacy, that is all we will say on the matter.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 04:05:15 PM by badgate »

New Biden Endorsements

Ted Strickland, Representative from Ohio's 6th congressional district
Our primary here in Ohio is fiercely divided! The last tracking poll had three candidates, including favorite son Denis Kucinich, tied! So I am moved to speak out and give an endorsement in the hope that Ohio will move clearly in one direction: toward the White House! So today I am endorsing Senator Joe Biden!

Ed Markey, Representative from Massachusetts' 7th congressional district
They call me bland on the national stage, but I know yous guys here at home love me. So let's make sure our congressional district goes for Biden on Super Tuesday! Go Red Sox!

Richard Neal, Representative from Massachusetts' 2nd congressional district
People of the 2nd congressional district! We gotta get out and vote for Senator Joe Biden on Tuesday!!

Paul Sarbanes, Senator from Maryland
Maryland, your polls have shown Senator Biden slightly losing his lead here! We need to Get out the vote for Senator Biden and make sure he wins all 39 of our delegates in the Super Tuesday election!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »

Senator Clinton can fire whomever she likes; it will not change the culture of corruption that she has instilled in her Presidential campaign.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2014, 07:25:34 PM »

ooc: I'm fine with moving the end of turn up to 5/25.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »

OOC: That beauty and the beast cast list is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. But realistically, no way could you get all of those people to put on Beauty and the Beast for a political fundraiser.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »

Statement from Senator Joe Biden

Good morning. Political differences must always be put aside in times if personal tribulation. It is with great sympathy that I wish Vice President Cheney a speedy and healthy recovery. Mr. Cheney, his wife Lynne and daughters Mary and Elizabeth will all be in mine and Jill's prayers. Thank you.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

OOC: I immediately thought of Powell too. As Bush isn't running for reelection, the post is basically a temp job.

It would be so interesting, though, if Bush nominated George Allen or Rudy Giuliani.............
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »

OOC: I'm still fine with tomorrow night.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies