FL: Rereredistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:29:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  FL: Rereredistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL: Rereredistricting  (Read 32813 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 09, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »

The Florida Supreme Court has thrown out Corrine Brown's district, Jolly's and Cantor's in Tampa Bay, and several in South Florida as violating the redistricting amendment.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/florida-supreme-court-orders-new-congressional-map-with-eight-districts-to/2236734

Interestingly, they're saying that FL-5 should be redrawn as east-west rather than north-south. I guess the compromise to clean up Orlando and Sanford lines didn't go far enough.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

This could be the plaintiffs' proposal... the names are the same... but I'm not certain.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Redistricting/Plan/SPUBC0170
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »

Is FLOTUS still packed with result oriented Dems?

I was thinking just that. (Well, not exactly in those terms.) But there hasn't been a Democratic governor in 17 years!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:21:18 AM »

What would be the political breakdown of that new FL-3? I know the FL Rs have long attempted to split or otherwise minimize the influence of Gainesville and even smaller towns like Palatka - does one that largely contains both have any potential for a Dem pickup?

A large majority of the population lives in Marion County and Clay County (just SW of Jax). Clay Couty is hyper Republican and Marion County is solidly Republican. Alachua will be drowned out.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »

The minority packing is of a contiguous area, makes for a compact CD, and it is the only way to elect a minority, although that would not be guaranteed, but if Hispanics are willing to vote for a black to some extent in a Dem primary, or blacks an Hispanic to some extent, it will happen. Having two Dem CD's means electing two white liberals, and shutting out a minority congressperson.  

Do we have historical evidence of racial block voting in Democratic primaries in this area, so that there is a candidate of the "white community"'s choice who will defeat a candidate reflecting the choice of the black or Hispanic communities? The race of the candidate himself is somewhat related to that, but it varies a lot. I'm not trying to be difficult here, but Central Florida is really unlike places like L.A. County or Brooklyn where this equation is usually considered.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »

With redistricting there's such a build-up of excitement until the actual maps come out, and then it's "meh," isn't it?

I guess I'm curious how swingy FL-10 is.

What share of Polk County's population lives in FL-15? Is it closer to 80% or 50%?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »

Are the plaintiffs' senate maps online?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies