At what points this cycle would Biden or Trump have won the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:56:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  At what points this cycle would Biden or Trump have won the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At what points this cycle would Biden or Trump have won the election?  (Read 168 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2024, 07:45:18 PM »

At what points this cycle would Biden or Trump each have won the election?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 11:14:57 PM »

If Biden wins: 6 january 2020

If Trump wins: 7 october 2023
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:15:44 PM »

That’s not what I meant. I mean at what points were each candidate favored?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 11:17:20 PM »

With hindsight

6 jan 2020 till 7 oct 2023: Biden
7 oct 2023 till now: Trump

probably more like a little more towards the end of october when it became increasingly clear that Biden's response wasn't great.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 11:18:34 PM »

With hindsight

probably more like a little more towards the end of october when it became increasingly clear that Biden's response wasn't great.

You don’t think Trump would have beaten Biden even after his post-Afghanistan nadir?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 11:21:25 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 11:42:57 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

With hindsight

You don’t think Trump would have beaten Biden even after his post-Afghanistan nadir?

No, Trump literally advocated withdrawal from Afghanistan and it's something both presidents did well. USA had no business being there. And there was no support for a democratic regime, so as soon the Americans would leave, the Taliban would take over.

I don't see it as a failure of Biden, i don't see it as a mistake by Trump. It's something I credit both presidents with, and they handled Afghanistan better than any president before them.

It might unironically be one of Biden's best accomplishments on foreign policy. So many presidents said they would withdraw / reduce number of troops in Afghanistan, and didn't. And eventually Biden did it.

That neocons would whine about it... was to be expected. If they got their say in everything, USA would have troops and bases in literally every country.

This is the best way for progress in these countries, very slowly and it might take decades or a century. And at the end, the Taliban would just be another but weaker Iran. But it's not the task of the USA to boss the entire world around how other countries should govern. It's better to use diplomacy and cooperate where one can cooperate on (in this case: terrorism since IS-K is a much bigger threat). You don't spread democracy by ensuring everyone hates the USA more than their own  undemocratic regime, indirectly giving them legitimacy. It's a road the inhabitants have to take theirselves, pushing for democracy has to come from within (unless international borders and laws are violated, which is when intervention would be legitimate). Fighting stupid regime change wars has never worked out well, the USA should know that by know and i believe a majority of people in the USA do (well at least until and after the war propaganda machine kicks in). Just ask Libya and Iraq today.

It was literally in Trump's platform, and some key appeal to his platform in 2016 was exactly because of his foreign policy views. It was the end of the neocon era of GOP being dominant or at least the only dominant power in the GOP. While isolationist, non-interventionism and alt-world views have increased in relevance. Trump saw a break with the past. I can't see how the Afghan withdrawal would have helped Trump at all.

Besides it was also way too early in the cycle to accurtaely say the race would have shifted. Trump never had a meaningful lead, and a lot of polling data would have been noise and not very relevant, as it happened before the 2022 midterms.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 11:35:33 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 11:41:56 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

And the fact that the Taliban took over so rapidly, well it probably wasn't a bad thing at all, because while the evacuation was very chaotic, a civil war really was avoided (well there is taliban vs IS-K). But it basically ended the other wars in the country.

A less rapid approach on Kabul would just have meant more casualties, more destruction and more blood for essentially the same outcome. The only issue is that perhaps the evacuation should have been better prepared or communicated and started earlier since people seemed to underestimate the speed of which the Taliban advanced in the country. But really, that's minor compared to so many other things that went wrong so far.

At the end, the right thing was done, even if doing the right thing isn't always the easiest thing, here it was done. There is no point in babysitting Afghanistan (a state's regime that could not survive on its own without foreign/US aid) for another multiple decades, while it would be a drain on your country's finances. And those American soldiers deserved to finally get home (well i suppose they're redeployed somewhere else at this point). But at the very least, they had no business in Afghanistan.

One has to respect everyone's right of self determination, that's an essential tenet for diplomacy and where all relations start. As long they don't violate that of another nation and don't do state sponsored genocide, it's the duty of another to respect that. The era of colonialism is over. Spreading your country's values and morals is done through diplomacy.

The difference between this presumably failed withdrawal in Afghanistan and delaying the withdrawal is essentially that a few more American lives were saved. I don't consider that a failure. I consider it a success.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 05:19:04 PM »

Any updates?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies