GA-6 Special election discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-6 Special election discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 120
Author Topic: GA-6 Special election discussion thread  (Read 254856 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »

Democrats had an advantage in early voting for 11 days, which suggests that most of their voters have already voted by now. There is also the fact that not every Republican showing up is voting for a Republican.

Basically, don't be surprised if Ossoff's winning the early vote, but he could very easily get shredded by election day vote.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »

Democrats had an advantage in early voting for 11 days, which suggests that most of their voters have already voted by now. There is also the fact that not every Republican showing up is voting for a Republican.

Basically, don't be surprised if Ossoff's winning the early vote, but he could very easily get shredded by election day vote.
Yeah, this has all the makings of a canabilized Election Day vote.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »

But with this being a primary with multiple republican choices rather than a 1v1 you can assume 90%+ are
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »

Evidence is emerging that ossof's early vote advantage is waning.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »

But with this being a primary with multiple republican choices rather than a 1v1 you can assume 90%+ are

I think this is an unwarranted assumption for two reasons.  First and most important, "Republican primary voter" does NOT mean the same thing as "Republican".  Many local races in this area have only Republican candidates, so voting in the Republican primary is the only way to have a vote in those elections.  I have done this myself and know many other people who have.  There are also tactical voting considerations in some primaries that may cause a voter to choose the other party's primary.

Second, Republicans who are likely to cross over because they're not happy with their party (and there are many such at present) are likely to do so regardless of how many Republicans are on the ballot.  It's true that more Republican choices will probably mean fewer Ossoff crossovers, but I doubt this will have a huge effect.

Certainly a majority of the GOP primary voters are likely to vote for a Republican.  But to automatically assume that it will be 90%+ is to ignore the actual environment.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »

I mean didn't Republicans have an 8% advantage in early votes in KS-04 and Thompson was at 60% in early returns? This district barely even compares on top of that because it's based on what party you voted for in your previous primary, so we don't know how many Rubio/Kasich -> Clinton voters are turning out so far.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »

I mean didn't Republicans have an 8% advantage in early votes in KS-04 and Thompson was at 60% in early returns?

He only got 60% of the EV in Sedgwick County. It's just that it took a while for the rural counties to cancel it out because, well, they're rural counties - and were left to do it on their own for much of the night because the more conservative ED Sedgwick vote came in really slowly.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 04:51:19 PM by TD »

Based on the 2% Trump win in Georgia's 6th coupled with the strong wave of Democratic enthusiasm why isn't it at least likely that Ossoff reaches 51% on Tuesday? So far the Democrats are running ahead of their 2016 numbers and this is a suburban Atlanta district. Why would they vote for a Republican if they believe they're voting on the Trump Administration?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »

After KS-04 and the presidential election, I'm just going to assume most elections have a counting bias for Democrats early on and Republicans catching up later
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »

After KS-04 and the presidential election, I'm just going to assume most elections have a counting bias for Democrats early on and Republicans catching up later

Seriously. Has this always been a thing or just since 2016?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »

Seriously. Has this always been a thing or just since 2016?

Before the prevalence of early voting, it was the other way around.  There tended to be a Republican lean to counts early in the evening of Election Day.  Smaller precincts count faster than larger ones, so rural precincts (more of which are R leaning) tend to report faster than urban (more of which are D leaning).

Nowadays the early vote tends to get reported immediately, and Democrats have jumped on early voting more than Republicans, so the trend has reversed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

Evidence is emerging that ossof's early vote advantage is waning.

I can't really see Ossof winning, but the trend is toward the Democrats in that part of GA. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »

Based on the 2% Trump win in Georgia's 6th coupled with the strong wave of Democratic enthusiasm why isn't it at least likely that Ossoff reaches 51% on Tuesday? So far the Democrats are running ahead of their 2016 numbers and this is a suburban Atlanta district. Why would they vote for a Republican if they believe they're voting on the Trump Administration?

I don't have the side-by-side numbers to definitely confirm it, but I'm expecting that a greater share of likely voting Democrats in GA-6 have already early voted compared to who had done so in KS-4 at this comparable point. I remember Cohn saying a few days ago that something like 80% of the people remaining who had a 80% chance or greater of voting in a midterm were Republican or Republican leaners.

That 30-point gap in preferences in Sedgwick between EV (Thompson +22) & ED (Estes +10) could look quite small compared to what we see in GA-6 if there isn't substantial breakdown of usual voting fundamentals.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »

I don't have the side-by-side numbers to definitely confirm it, but I'm expecting that a greater share of likely voting Democrats in GA-6 have already early voted compared to who had done so in KS-4 at this comparable point. I remember Cohn saying a few days ago that something like 80% of the people remaining who had a 80% chance or greater of voting in a midterm were Republican or Republican leaners.

That 30-point gap in preferences in Sedgwick between EV (Thompson +22) & ED (Estes +10) could look quite small compared to what we see in GA-6 if there isn't substantial breakdown of usual voting fundamentals.

Will it matter if Ossoff is at 60% in the early vote? According to Cohn, the current EV electorate is 46% D, 37% R, 17% NA, which makes that quite difficult, but perhaps there are a fair amount of "crossover" votes. What % of the overall vote do you expect to come from the EV?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »

Today's Vote: https://mobile.twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/852327832185430016

Republicans: 52%
Democrats: 32%
Independents: 16%

Nate Cohn says Trump would've won today according to the data.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2017, 08:16:44 PM »

It was fun while it lasted
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »

Yea, this was always going to be a heavy lift, I think Ds can win over suburban districts but the south is a different animal. I think the path to majority runs thru PA, NY, CA, MI, FL.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »

Yea, this was always going to be a heavy lift, I think Ds can win over suburban districts but the south is a different animal. I think the path to majority runs thru PA, NY, CA, MI, FL.

These were people who voted R in the primary. We're not even sure if they're registered Rs. Can we not do this? Let's wait until election day. Smiley
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »

Clearly what we need to do now is give up on winnable races Roll Eyes
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »

Remember guys, it's not as if the 2016 electorate here was 47% D or similar - Clinton got a lot of republicans here and so will Ossoff.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2017, 08:37:53 PM »

A lot of Democrats have already turned out and most of the Democratic early votes are probably banked. There are only a couple of days of early voting left, so I think Democrats have done a good job in turning out for the early vote.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »

A lot of the EV among D voters is from outside Dekalb county:

Means there's a lot of vote for Ossoff to pickup on Election Day. Theoretically at least.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »

Will it matter if Ossoff is at 60% in the early vote? According to Cohn, the current EV electorate is 46% D, 37% R, 17% NA, which makes that quite difficult, but perhaps there are a fair amount of "crossover" votes. What % of the overall vote do you expect to come from the EV?

In KS-4/Sedgwick County, Thompson got 61% of the EV; he barely carried Sedgwick overall and lost the CD by 6-7 with Sedgwick comprising 70% of the CD's vote. If the gap between ED/EV is even modestly larger than that for GA-6 as a whole, then there's no way he hits 50% or comes even reasonably close.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 09:04:04 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griffin »

What % of the overall vote do you expect to come from the EV?

I think it'll be a larger share than KS-4...around 40% - maybe as much as 50%. In regular elections, it has recently not been uncommon for a nominal majority of votes statewide to be cast before Election Day. A district like this socioeconomically + less worry about longer lines on ED will probably mean it's less than that, though. We may see another 20-30k votes come in over the next 3 days. There were 7,000 votes cast today alone (out of 39,000 total).

EDIT: One potential variable working in the opposite direction here is Dekalb. There are still no well-positioned early voting locations in the more Democratic portions of the county, so ED turnout here will likely be disproportionately larger than its share of the electorate on Election Day.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies