FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:58:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 116779 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »

The U.S. now makes the knockout stage with a pair of draws or a win in either.

Oh, thanks, expert fan.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »

Oh good Snowstalker is predicting USA to lose the next two games. I was worried we didn't have a chance.

You're not a fan. Stop saying "we."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

Oh good Snowstalker is predicting USA to lose the next two games. I was worried we didn't have a chance.

You're not a fan. Stop saying "we."

I'm not the one changing his nationality ever 4 years.

Roll Eyes

Changing my nationality? Listen, I don't mind if you're generally an idiot about this sport but I do have an issue when you screw up the facts.

1) I don't "change" nationalities. I support a team.
2) I consistently support a team. Want to have an issue with me supporting the "wrong" team? Ok. But don't essentially call me a bandwagon fan. I support and follow my team. As you know, I support that team in tournaments outside of the World Cup, too. Even if we buy your BS, it would be every two years when you consider the Euros.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »

And it's awfully ironic that King wants to complain about people switching nationalities for this. Don't hear much from you about Spain these days...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »

I can see why you support Italy, but why do you actively root against the US? I dont see why you wouldnt support the development of the game in this country.

Where did I actively root against the U.S.? I'm telling you what I think will happen. And quite frankly, the insufferable bros that aren't true fans are a great reason why people would actively root against the team.

The game will never develop to the level that I enjoy so I have no desire to hope for that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2014, 09:31:46 PM »

Even if we buy your BS, it would be every two years when you consider the Euros.

The idea that there's more than one dick in this thread is a more egregious use of the word we than what I said.

Snowstalker and Simfan (both Americans) are notably against the U.S. team. At least one went as far as to say "Death to America" which I'd never say in any context, for the record.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh, are you serious? You don't even know me, dude. Maybe it goes something like this: this is the team I grew up supporting through my family. My father, an American-born veteran of the United States Air Force, is mainly responsible for that. I didn't think I'd have to highlight the other fairly obvious points but here they are: I unquestionably follow an Italian league team and the league in general despite both not exactly superpowers they once were and started following them after their respective glory days. It enhances my connection to the Italian team. I follow every qualifier. I follow every Friendly. I know the players.

Did winning the World Cup in 2006 while I was in Italy strengthen my love for the team? Sure. But I was a fan well before that. I was there through the heartbreak. I was there when Italy lost the Euro 2000 Final. I was up at 5 AM to watch Italy get knocked out by South Korea in the 2002 World Cup. I didn't pop up after Canavarro lifted the trophy. You need to learn what a bandwagonner is, pal.

Of course, I can be a fraud like you, not follow the MLS and cheer for a group of players I know nothing about and don't care about. Can you say with a straight face that you'll give a rat's ass about any of this a year from now? How about two months from now? Nah. Doubt it.

Quite frankly, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with some jackass that suddenly likes the sport every four years. Hilarious that you'd blast anyone as a bandwagonner. I'll argue with someone like Lief, a true fan of the game and a diehard U.S. fan, about my allegiances. I'll strongly disagree with his assessment but I at least respect him. And I doubt he'd ever even think to suggest that I'm a bandwagon fan.

So you're even more of a casual fan (and a troll) than you've led on. And you're going to lecture about bandwagonning. Hahaha.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

Seriously, Phil, you're not just a dick because you're a hater of USA, you're a dick because you're being a dick. Your skin is thinner than filo dough. Your sportsmanship is godawful.

I'm the one with thin skin but you're the one throwing a hissy fit about my non-support for "your team?" Hahaha. I'm probably just a dick because I'm calling you out as a fraud, as we'll see in your next admission... Wink

Oh, my apologies! I'll patiently wait for yours after the idiotic comments that I'm just a bandwagon Italy fan. I notice how you just glossed over that.

I do Purple heart how you admit that you don't even follow MLS because you have better things to do with your life! Bravo! Smiley

I've been mild with my comments. Again, other American non-fans have said far worse. I think this is more about you generally disliking me which is fine but don't use that as an excuse to go after me about this stuff. It's trolling.

Don't lecture on awful sportsmanship when you barely comment on the game but will be the first to privately message someone when their team loses. I'd give it a pass if you actually showed more of an interest but you don't. You're the worst kind of casual fan. Then, in especially bizarre fashion, you'll complain about my supposed thick skin when all of this started because you didn't like my assessment of your status as a fan. But you're especially irritated over the fact that I don't conform by supporting "your team" and by pointing out their weakness. That's not just thin skinned, it's childish.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »

No, nobody else in this thread has consistently berated individuals like you have. My only crime is that I took your bait. The idea that you shouldn't be allowed to support Italy was just a return serve of an insinuation that I'm not allowed to even be here.

Yikes! Someone has some very thin skin! Wink

It speaks to my point that you're more interested in trolling than actually following the sport. Don't really care if you like me or not. Smiley

I'm a Soccer snob. I've always embraced it. Get over it. See you when you "care" about the sport again in 2018 (or maybe 2016 when the U.S. hosts Copa America. You know what that is, right?). Cheesy

(Your loss that you can't detect good natured ribbing either.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »

Huge sinkhole opens near stadium where Italy-Uruguay match will be played. Might cause a delay in the match.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »

Yeah, Belgium isn't ready for the big leagues.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »

For obvious reasons, I love to see South Korea destroyed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »

So how many millions of "fans" have already turned the match off?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »

That really was an awesome goal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »

Oops
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

I was going to send this to you on Facebook...

(And now I'm in on the, "Lief, check your private messages..." routine.)

Folks, look up what "biscotto" means in Italian regarding Soccer. Italy have been on the bad end of it before (Euro 2004 after the Sweden-Denmark tie). It isn't happening with the U.S. and Germany especially because of Klinsmann's connections to Germany. The idea of a fix will get so much attention that the Germans will make sure it doesn't happen so that there isn't controversy down the road.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »

Germany will go out with the intention of ripping the opposition to shreds. End of story.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »

The refs decided who they want.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »

Suarez bites. Again. Unreal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

An absolute disgrace.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »

Ban him for life. Period.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

I had my issues with Prandelli but he is such a classy guy and rebuilt this side, giving us confidence after the 2010 disaster. Led us from the lowest point all the way to the Euro Finals in just two years when no one believed in us.

Hoping for Mancini now since Ancelotti won't leave Real Madrid yet.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »

Italy attacked the first half. I was satisfied with the play. Immobile was a disappointment though. He and the rest of this team need to learn how to avoid being offsides so frequently. If we had capitalized on our chances early, we'd be having a difficult discussion right now. Instead, we remained tied (which was always dangerous. You had to know Uruguay would score a goal) and got bit (no pun intended) with bad calls that really put us on the back foot. Once Marchisio was sent off, you knew we would (have to) play for the draw and I had said leading up to this game that playing for a draw = loss.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »

It would be a shame if Greece qualified over Cote d'Ivoire.

Yeah but we need some Europeans in the knockout rounds so I'd be fine with this
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

It would be a shame if Greece qualified over Cote d'Ivoire.

Yeah but we need some Europeans in the knockout rounds so I'd be fine with this

Why? Greece is easily the most negative team at this Cup. Anyway, European dominance gets boring and I say this as a Spain fan.

I don't hate the Greeks and I'm at the sad point when I'm left to cheer for teams that I don't hate. I only have a few issues with Argentina so they and Colombia are the sides I'm more seriously focused on. It helps to have a few other teams to balance out the fact that disgusting teams like France, Brazil, Uruguay (a recent addition to my list. I was usually cool with them), The Netherlands and Germany can win it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies