Calvinism vs Arminianism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 07:29:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Calvinism vs Arminianism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Arminianism

Calvinism

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Calvinism vs Arminianism  (Read 1041 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« on: June 05, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »

John Wesley is one of my biggest influences in terms of Christian theology.  Take a guess.

DC and Mung Beans are Presbyterians, so yes, that would be their church's doctrine.

I know that, but I needed some insight simply because given Presbyterianism is the 'state church' of Scotland in circles where it dominates (not that you can say it still does here) I've came across more of a variance within it.

I belong to the Presbyterian Church in America, which is explicitly Calvinist. I think Mung Beans is as well, but don't quote me on it.

Technically my church isn't part of PCA, but I pretty much am in more or less complete theological agreement with it and would probably go to a PCA church if I'm not at home.

This is probably a stupid question, but why would a church which I presume is located in Canada be called the "Presbyterian Church in America?"

My church was originally part of the Reformed  Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod, which was mostly in the northern USA and Canada. The PCA absorbed the RPCES in the 1980's.

I'm also surprised that that's the Calvinist church you're a member of, considering its evolution to the left on some issues.

My congregation is to the right of the PCA at large, so I'm content where I am. Besides Calvinist churches aren't exactly thick in the ground where I am. If I left my current church, my options would be an ultraconservative Presbyterian church or a reformed Baptist church. I'm not sure which one I'd choose.

Actually on purely theological matters you are more moderate than a lot of other PCA members I've come across (excepting the more evangelical faction centred around Tim Keller) since many of them are YEC and have very critical views regarding Catholicism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies