What should the age of consent be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should the age of consent be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
None

<10

>25

Pre-marital sex should be illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: What should the age of consent be?  (Read 4783 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 29, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »

Gun to the head probably 15 as a bare minimum, though up to the age of 18 or thereabouts (however long they are living with their parents), the partners involved have to be of a similar age -I don't want some 40-45 year old man screwing a 15-year old girl.    
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:58 PM »

There shouldn't be an 'age of consent.' Trying to force human sexuality into a legislated box is always a bad idea and should be avoided at all costs. So long as everyone involved agrees at the time to engage in sexual activity and understands what they are agreeing to, they should be allowed to engage in said activity without the heavy hand of the law waiting to scoop them up and throw them in jail or place them on a barbaric 'sex offender' registry.

Gun to the head probably 15 as a bare minimum, though up to the age of 18 or thereabouts (however long they are living with their parents), the partners involved have to be of a similar age -I don't want some 40-45 year old man screwing a 15-year old girl.    

If the 15 year old consents, why is it any of your business? Sounds like you need a hobby if it bothers you that much. I would remind you that the idea that 15 year olds are 'children' is a very, very recent idea, a result of society extending childhood beyond its biological scope into young adulthood.

Easy enough to say when you are arguing about someone else's daughter.  Try to picture this wayward teen as your own daughter, and you'll understand why these laws exist.   

Nailed what?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2015, 12:11:05 AM by Frodo »

There shouldn't be an 'age of consent.' Trying to force human sexuality into a legislated box is always a bad idea and should be avoided at all costs. So long as everyone involved agrees at the time to engage in sexual activity and understands what they are agreeing to, they should be allowed to engage in said activity without the heavy hand of the law waiting to scoop them up and throw them in jail or place them on a barbaric 'sex offender' registry.

If the 15 year old consents, why is it any of your business? Sounds like you need a hobby if it bothers you that much. I would remind you that the idea that 15 year olds are 'children' is a very, very recent idea, a result of society extending childhood beyond its biological scope into young adulthood.

Easy enough to say when you are arguing about someone else's daughter.  Try to picture this wayward teen as your own daughter, and you'll understand why these laws exist.  

I wouldn't be a creep who would be trying to monitor everything that my daughter did of her own free well (like you presumably would), so no, I can't really sympathize with your retrograde denial of another person's sexuality on account of it making you uncomfortable. Also, it's really funny that you consider a 15 year old that would want to have sex with someone else a 'wayward teen'. Just because you never had sexual desire at that age doesn't mean that the rest of us didn't (although given that this is Atlas...you never know Tongue).

So once they reach 15 you effectively abdicate responsibility for them? Just because I said 15 is the minimum age of consent that I can accept does not mean that we can treat 15-year olds as if they are suddenly adults responsible for their decisions.  They still need protection and guidance so long as they live under their parents' roof -and their parents are paying the bills.  And that gives those parents the right to have a say in their decisions, and to elect representatives to shape the laws that codify those rights.    

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies